Hang on boot when USB device plugged in

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe MB (Pentium 4)
Windows XP SP2

For the past few days, if I boot my PC with any USB device plugged in,
it will freeze when loading Windows. Hang happens regardless of where
I plug in the device (on-board ports on MB, ports on a USB PCI card,
front panel ports) and will even hang if booting in Safe Mode. I get
past the Windows XP logo screen, then the screen goes black and right
before I would expect the actual login window to appear, the screen
goes black and I hang. If I boot with no USB devices plugged in,
everything's fine.

If I boot up with no USB devices plugged in, then plug in a USB device
after bootup, the USB device works fine and no hang.

Boot logging shows lots of driver load successes and failures (in fact,
lots of duplicate lines which I find puzzling) when USB device is
plugged in.

- Tried CHKDSK on all drives
- Installed latest BIOS (1022)
- Checked fan speeds, temperatures, and power via AsusProbe(all normal)

I suspect this is really a Windows XP issue (driver maybe?). I did
install some security updates before the reboot when I first noticed
the issue. I reviewed all of the updates and couldn't find any that
seemed like they could be related though. I may try uninstalling all
recent updates if I can do so but would like to avoid that if its going
to be a dead end.
1 answer Last reply
More about hang boot device plugged

    <mporco@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Asus P4C800-E Deluxe MB (Pentium 4)
    > Windows XP SP2
    >
    > For the past few days, if I boot my PC with any USB device plugged in,
    > it will freeze when loading Windows. Hang happens regardless of where
    > I plug in the device (on-board ports on MB, ports on a USB PCI card,
    > front panel ports) and will even hang if booting in Safe Mode. I get
    > past the Windows XP logo screen, then the screen goes black and right
    > before I would expect the actual login window to appear, the screen
    > goes black and I hang. If I boot with no USB devices plugged in,
    > everything's fine.
    >
    > If I boot up with no USB devices plugged in, then plug in a USB device
    > after bootup, the USB device works fine and no hang.
    >
    > Boot logging shows lots of driver load successes and failures (in fact,
    > lots of duplicate lines which I find puzzling) when USB device is
    > plugged in.
    >
    > - Tried CHKDSK on all drives
    > - Installed latest BIOS (1022)
    > - Checked fan speeds, temperatures, and power via AsusProbe(all normal)
    >
    > I suspect this is really a Windows XP issue (driver maybe?). I did
    > install some security updates before the reboot when I first noticed
    > the issue. I reviewed all of the updates and couldn't find any that
    > seemed like they could be related though. I may try uninstalling all
    > recent updates if I can do so but would like to avoid that if its going
    > to be a dead end.

    You could try re-installing USB 2.0 but you may have problems tracking it
    down as it has been pulled form Microsoft site. It is included in Service
    Pack 1.

    I know there were some issues created with USB and one of the service packs
    (sorry can't remember details now). Try searching MS knowledge base or
    http://www.usbman.com/

Asus Boot USB Devices Motherboards