Epson Stylus Photo 890 - steady red LED

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

My Epson Stylus Photo 890 printer has developed an unusual fault -
when printing a colour image (*seems* to be okay with black and white
but that might be because I only printing text documents in black and
white and complex pics in colour) the printing will halt in a random
place part way through and the red LED comes on steady (ie NOT
flashing). That which does print out looks okay.

If I power cycle the printer the green LED sometimes comes back on,
but sometimes the red LED comes back on. This happens irrespective of
the PC being switched on.

When the LED is a steady red, if I go into the Epson Status Monitor, I
get a 'Communication error', presumably indicating that the printer
has gone into a temporary 'dead' state.

The printer gets a fair bit of use - is there something that needs
cleaning or emptying? (cleaning the print heads via the software makes
no difference).

I'm using official EPSON ink cartridges.

Thanks,
Phil

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

On Fri, 28 May 2004 19:10:36 GMT, pmdom@hotmail.com (phil) wrote:

And to add to that, I just got steady red AND green LEDs and a status
monitor error saying the print cartridges weren't recognised.

Tried removing and re-inserting them but no luck.

Weird.

Phil

Jim

"phil" <pmdom@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> When the LED is a steady red, if I go into the Epson Status Monitor, I
> get a 'Communication error', presumably indicating that the printer
> has gone into a temporary 'dead' state.

That message probably means that the printer didn't respond to a status
request in time. My 1280 did this all the time until I removed from the hub
(a source of delay) and shortened the cable (another source of delay). It
now seldom misses a beat.

Jim

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

On Fri, 28 May 2004 20:30:00 GMT, "Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote:

>That message probably means that the printer didn't respond to a status
>request in time. My 1280 did this all the time until I removed from the hub
>(a source of delay) and shortened the cable (another source of delay). It
>now seldom misses a beat.

Thanks, but why does it come up with a red LED even when the PC is
switched off? It never used to, the green LED always used to be on
instead.

Phil