how many sets of RAID1 could be created in ICH7R?

Hi,

There are 4 SATA ports on the P5LD2 board. How many sets of RAID1 could
be created? I heard that I can only create 1 RAID set, be it RAID0,
RAID1, or RAID0+1, but not 2 RAID1.
1 answer Last reply
More about sets raid1 created ich7r

    In article <tQaue.96247$4M.18613@fe08.news.easynews.com>, Nick
    <Hmm@Hmm.com> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > There are 4 SATA ports on the P5LD2 board. How many sets of RAID1 could
    > be created? I heard that I can only create 1 RAID set, be it RAID0,
    > RAID1, or RAID0+1, but not 2 RAID1.

    It is not documented anywhere (neither the RAID manual on the Intel
    site, nor in the Intel user manual for one of their 955 motherboards).
    It is not covered in reviews. The ICH7R chip itself, seems to know
    virtually nothing about what is going on (as seen in the Southbridge
    datasheet), implying the RAID functions are "soft raid". Thus, the
    BIOS and the Intel Matrix Storage Manager determine the capabilities,
    as near as I can tell.

    I guess you get to write the first review :-(

    This link takes you to a description of a software RAID driver
    for Linux. In the description, there are examples of multiple
    arrays coexisting at the same time. This is pretty weak
    circumstantial evidence, and may not extend to the Windows
    version of drivers. See "cat /proc/iswraid/volumes"

    http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/iswraid/2.4/iswraid.txt?rev=1.4&view=auto

    Paul

Asus NAS / RAID SATA Motherboards