how many sets of RAID1 could be created in ICH7R?

Tags:
  • Asus
  • NAS / RAID
  • SATA
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 22, 2005 2:12:41 PM

Hi,

There are 4 SATA ports on the P5LD2 board. How many sets of RAID1 could
be created? I heard that I can only create 1 RAID set, be it RAID0,
RAID1, or RAID0+1, but not 2 RAID1.

More about : sets raid1 created ich7r

June 22, 2005 8:51:59 PM

In article <tQaue.96247$4M.18613@fe08.news.easynews.com>, Nick
<Hmm@Hmm.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There are 4 SATA ports on the P5LD2 board. How many sets of RAID1 could
> be created? I heard that I can only create 1 RAID set, be it RAID0,
> RAID1, or RAID0+1, but not 2 RAID1.

It is not documented anywhere (neither the RAID manual on the Intel
site, nor in the Intel user manual for one of their 955 motherboards).
It is not covered in reviews. The ICH7R chip itself, seems to know
virtually nothing about what is going on (as seen in the Southbridge
datasheet), implying the RAID functions are "soft raid". Thus, the
BIOS and the Intel Matrix Storage Manager determine the capabilities,
as near as I can tell.

I guess you get to write the first review :-(

This link takes you to a description of a software RAID driver
for Linux. In the description, there are examples of multiple
arrays coexisting at the same time. This is pretty weak
circumstantial evidence, and may not extend to the Windows
version of drivers. See "cat /proc/iswraid/volumes"

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/iswraid/2.4/iswra...

Paul