a8n-e ACPI problem?

Hello

I've a desktop with an Athlon 64 on a A8N-E. After like 2 minutes of
inactivity, my screen goes black. I've to do a reset to wake it...
I put all power management on disable in XP but I didn't touch the
default settings in the bios. Any idea ?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Splendid

In article <1119444242.560297.48810@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
antoine.besse@gmail.com wrote:

> Hello
>
> I've a desktop with an Athlon 64 on a A8N-E. After like 2 minutes of
> inactivity, my screen goes black. I've to do a reset to wake it...
> I put all power management on disable in XP but I didn't touch the
> default settings in the bios. Any idea ?
>
> Thanks in advance

Have you checked the Event Monitor for error messages ? Perhaps
there is some error message, that will help pinpoint the problem.

If you are using it, you could try disabling Cool N' Quiet in
the BIOS. That should cause the chip to run with a fixed value
of FID and VID. See if the chip is happier on a fixed diet.

It is possible the BIOS or the Cool N' Quiet driver you are
using, need to be upgraded. The Asus download page has
release notes for each BIOS, and sometimes a fix to the BIOS
will be listed there. For example, BIOS 1005 item 9 suggests
the BIOS was not always setting Vcore properly. You might also
check the cpusupport web page (at the bottom of this posting),
to see if you are using the right BIOS for your particular
stepping and model of processor.

********
A8N-E

[ 1006.002 ]
Latest beta BIOS.

[ 1005 ]
1.Support new CPUs.
2.Fixed "ASUS Update" can't update BIOS when using Dual Core CPU.
3.Fixed NOS can't work after enabled NOS by AI-Booster.
4.Add more DRAM Items in the Bios.
5.Fixed it fails to boot when Enabled NOS function.
6.Fixed ATI X600, X800 VGA Card sometimes fails to enter OS.
7.Support Single Core CPU cool&Quiet function under Windows 2000.
8.Set the lowest frequency of Dual Core CPU with Cool&Quiet to 1000MHz.
9.Fixed sometimes CPU Vcore may be abnormal.

[ 1004 ]
1. Support new CPUs.

[ 1003 ]
1. Support new CPUs.
2. Support CPU Voltage warning message on POST
3. Add Help String for AI-NET.
4. Add AI-Selector Item
5. Modify SETUP String and it's discription of DRAM Over 4G remapping function
6. Update NVRAID BIOS to 4.81 to fix new line issue.
7. Fixed show wrong device (ZIP) on summary screen when PATA controller
was disabled.
8. Update awdflash to v1.11
9. Improve compatibility with some memory modules
10.Update awdflash utility to support BIOS can be updated when EMM386 is
loaded.

[ 1001 ]
First Release Bios.

New CPU support is listed here.
http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
*********

Paul

> In article <1119444242.560297.48810@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> antoine.besse@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I've a desktop with an Athlon 64 on a A8N-E. After like 2 minutes of
>> inactivity, my screen goes black. I've to do a reset to wake it...
>> I put all power management on disable in XP but I didn't touch the
>> default settings in the bios. Any idea ?
>>
>> Thanks in advance

I am running the A8N-E with AMD64 3500+ Winchester with Cool and Quiet
enabled. It works perfectly with 1001 bios and is rock solid.

Make sure you read the Asus MB manual on how to properly configure cool and
quiet in the bios and configure the Windows power saver settings.