Can not delete registry key

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

XP Pro will not let me delete this registry key

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\LPTENUM

This MSKB article says to delete that key if I am having a problem
with the printer wizard.

"New Hardware Wizard May Detect Printer Device After Every Restart
of Computer"
http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q298/3/70.asp

Why am I prevented from deleting that key?

I am signed on as administrator and the permissions for that key is
full authority (including delete) to "Everybody".

How can I get around this?
10 answers Last reply
More about delete registry
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Did you try in safe mode?
    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP
    pronetworks.org

    Simon Caler wrote:

    > XP Pro will not let me delete this registry key
    >
    > \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\LPTENUM
    >
    > This MSKB article says to delete that key if I am having a problem
    > with the printer wizard.
    >
    > "New Hardware Wizard May Detect Printer Device After Every Restart
    > of Computer"
    > http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q298/3/70.asp
    >
    > Why am I prevented from deleting that key?
    >
    > I am signed on as administrator and the permissions for that key is
    > full authority (including delete) to "Everybody".
    >
    > How can I get around this?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Okay,do this:-'To work around this problem, complete all the steps in
    the New Hardware Wizard, even though the wizard cannot detect a new
    printer.'
    Don't delete key.
    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP
    pronetworks.org

    S.Sengupta wrote:

    > Did you try in safe mode?
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    > pronetworks.org
    >
    > Simon Caler wrote:
    >
    >> XP Pro will not let me delete this registry key
    >> \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\LPTENUM
    >>
    >> This MSKB article says to delete that key if I am having a problem
    >> with the printer wizard.
    >>
    >> "New Hardware Wizard May Detect Printer Device After Every Restart of
    >> Computer"
    >> http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q298/3/70.asp
    >>
    >> Why am I prevented from deleting that key?
    >>
    >> I am signed on as administrator and the permissions for that key is
    >> full authority (including delete) to "Everybody".
    >>
    >> How can I get around this?
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Actually, this is just a permission problem. Right click on the key you
    are trying to delete, click Permission, and give Full Control to All (or
    something similar to that). Now you can delete it ;)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    S.Sengupta wrote:
    > Okay,do this:-'To work around this problem, complete all the steps in
    > the New Hardware Wizard, even though the wizard cannot detect a new
    > printer.'
    > Don't delete key.
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    > pronetworks.org
    >
    > S.Sengupta wrote:
    >
    >> Did you try in safe mode?
    >> regards,
    >> ssg MS-MVP
    >> pronetworks.org
    >>
    >> Simon Caler wrote:
    >>
    >>> XP Pro will not let me delete this registry key
    >>> \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\LPTENUM
    >>>
    >>> This MSKB article says to delete that key if I am having a problem
    >>> with the printer wizard.
    >>>
    >>> "New Hardware Wizard May Detect Printer Device After Every Restart of
    >>> Computer"
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q298/3/70.asp
    >>>
    >>> Why am I prevented from deleting that key?
    >>>
    >>> I am signed on as administrator and the permissions for that key is
    >>> full authority (including delete) to "Everybody".
    >>>
    >>> How can I get around this?
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Nathan, you might remember that I checked for this and mentioned it
    in the posting below.

    It is odd.

    Nathan McNulty <nospam@msn.com> wrote:

    > Actually, this is just a permission problem. Right click on
    > the key you are trying to delete, click Permission, and give
    > Full Control to All (or something similar to that). Now you can
    > delete it ;)
    >
    > ----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >

    > S.Sengupta wrote:
    >> Okay,do this:-'To work around this problem, complete all the
    >> steps in the New Hardware Wizard, even though the wizard
    >> cannot detect a new printer.' Don't delete key.
    >> regards,
    >> ssg MS-MVP
    >> pronetworks.org
    >>
    >> S.Sengupta wrote:
    >>
    >>> Did you try in safe mode?
    >>> regards,
    >>> ssg MS-MVP
    >>> pronetworks.org

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    You mean you booted into Safe Mode, right click key, permission, full
    control-allow and it still won't delete? That is pretty intense.

    Oh and instead of deleting the LPTENUM key delete the key that is inside
    of it. Also, you may need to remove the printer (physically, and if it
    is recognized in Device Manager at all) before you try to do this.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Simon Caler wrote:
    > Nathan, you might remember that I checked for this and mentioned it
    > in the posting below.
    >
    > It is odd.
    >

    > Nathan McNulty <nospam@msn.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Actually, this is just a permission problem. Right click on
    >>the key you are trying to delete, click Permission, and give
    >>Full Control to All (or something similar to that). Now you can
    >>delete it ;)
    >>
    >>----
    >>Nathan McNulty
    >>

    >>S.Sengupta wrote:
    >>
    >>>Okay,do this:-'To work around this problem, complete all the
    >>>steps in the New Hardware Wizard, even though the wizard
    >>>cannot detect a new printer.' Don't delete key.
    >>>regards,
    >>>ssg MS-MVP
    >>>pronetworks.org

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I do this each time I boot and each time I get the wizard!

    The wizard will not accept the drivers folder as being valid or if
    it does it does not find the drivers. I have tried steering the
    wiazrd to the drivers on the CD and on the hard drive.

    "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote:

    > Okay,do this:-'To work around this problem, complete all the
    > steps in the New Hardware Wizard, even though the wizard cannot
    > detect a new printer.'
    > Don't delete key.
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    > pronetworks.org
    >
    > S.Sengupta wrote:
    >
    >> Did you try in safe mode?
    >> regards,
    >> ssg MS-MVP
    >> pronetworks.org
    >>
    >> Simon Caler wrote:
    >>
    >>> XP Pro will not let me delete this registry key
    >>> \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\LPTENUM
    >>>
    >>> This MSKB article says to delete that key if I am having a
    >>> problem with the printer wizard.
    >>>
    >>> "New Hardware Wizard May Detect Printer Device After Every
    >>> Restart of Computer"
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q298/3/70.
    >>> asp
    >>>
    >>> Why am I prevented from deleting that key?
    >>>
    >>> I am signed on as administrator and the permissions for that
    >>> key is full authority (including delete) to "Everybody".
    >>>
    >>> How can I get around this?
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I tried Safe Mode and, oh boy, I couldn't get into it.

    I saw the reading go along the black & white progress bar but then
    it froze. Fixing Safe Mode is going to be a separate job!.

    "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote:

    > Did you try in safe mode?
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    > pronetworks.org

    > Simon Caler wrote:
    >
    >> XP Pro will not let me delete this registry key
    >>
    >> \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\LPTENUM
    >>
    >> This MSKB article says to delete that key if I am having a
    >> problem with the printer wizard.
    >>
    >> "New Hardware Wizard May Detect Printer Device After Every
    >> Restart of Computer"
    >> http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q298/3/70.a
    >> sp
    >>
    >> Why am I prevented from deleting that key?
    >>
    >> I am signed on as administrator and the permissions for that
    >> key is full authority (including delete) to "Everybody".
    >>
    >> How can I get around this?
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Nathan McNulty <nospam@msn.com> wrote:

    > You mean you booted into Safe Mode, right click key,
    > permission, full control-allow and it still won't delete? That
    > is pretty intense.

    It's worse than that. I can't boot into Safe Mode. Period. :-)

    > Oh and instead of deleting the LPTENUM key delete the key that
    > is inside of it.

    I tried those. Two fo them (and I think they are the troublesome
    two that I needto delete) won't be deleted.

    > Also, you may need to remove the printer
    > (physically, and if it is recognized in Device Manager at all)
    > before you try to do this.

    Good idea. I will try this.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 23:43:57 +0100, Simon caler <nomail@mail.com>
    wrote:

    >Nathan McNulty <nospam@msn.com> wrote:
    >
    >> You mean you booted into Safe Mode, right click key,
    >> permission, full control-allow and it still won't delete? That
    >> is pretty intense.
    >
    >It's worse than that. I can't boot into Safe Mode. Period. :-)
    >

    >> Oh and instead of deleting the LPTENUM key delete the key that
    >> is inside of it.
    >
    >I tried those. Two fo them (and I think they are the troublesome
    >two that I needto delete) won't be deleted.
    >
    >> Also, you may need to remove the printer
    >> (physically, and if it is recognized in Device Manager at all)
    >> before you try to do this.
    >
    >Good idea. I will try this.

    Export the entire registry value that contains the key you wish to
    delete. Once exported, use notepad to make the changes\deletion and
    then import the key back into the registry. That may work.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    In the end, this did turn out to be a permission problem. But I had
    to go up the reg tree from that key and down into the sub keys and
    grant permissions to each one.

    Then I could delete the key.

    All the time I was signed on as administrator (though not the
    "master" administrator account which XP usually keeps hidden).
    So surely the problem I describe below should not have happened?

    Nathan McNulty <nospam@msn.com> wrote:

    > Actually, this is just a permission problem. Right click on
    > the key you are trying to delete, click Permission, and give
    > Full Control to All (or something similar to that). Now you can
    > delete it ;)

Hardware Registry Microsoft Windows XP