Probable P5P800 problem

ok hers the problem:

I have just installed a new P5P800 mobo with a P4 530J 3.0GHz CPU,
3x256MB DDR333 RAM, along with a GeForce6600 256MB AGP8x

now that combination worked fine with my old mobo (ASRock 775S61), i
upgraded to the P5P800 to increase the performance of my games

i set it all up, turned it on and got nothin, turned out to be static
problems, i sorted all that out but now when i go to play games after
a matter of seconds my comp turns itself off, same thing for every
games i try to play, yet it works fine with everything else i try to
do

i got a new 650W power supply, thinking it was that, still nothing, i
got a 20pin to 24pin adapter thinking it was that, still the same, i
have tested all 3 sticks of ram and they all work fine

if any1 has any idea wot the problem could be then please post here or
get in touch with me on msn please

need any more info then please say, any ideas apriciated

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-Probable-P5P800-problem-ftopict57909.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=292298

BigJim

check it for heat related problem, open the case and get a small fan blowing
on the motherboard and cpu. I know it sounds stupid but what have you got to
loose but some time.
the other thing that comes to mind is the PS, what brand is it?

gunnut03 wrote:
> ok hers the problem:
>
> I have just installed a new P5P800 mobo with a P4 530J 3.0GHz CPU,
> 3x256MB DDR333 RAM, along with a GeForce6600 256MB AGP8x
>
> now that combination worked fine with my old mobo (ASRock 775S61), i
> upgraded to the P5P800 to increase the performance of my games
>
> i set it all up, turned it on and got nothin, turned out to be static
> problems, i sorted all that out but now when i go to play games after
> a matter of seconds my comp turns itself off, same thing for every
> games i try to play, yet it works fine with everything else i try to
> do

I had a similar problem with this board with my first case. The
placement of the CPU left almost no room between it and the power
supply. Because of this they were both overheating. Buying a new case
with a couple of inches between the heatsink and the power supply fixed
the problem.

"BigJim" wrote:
>check it for heat related problem, open the case and get a small fan
>blowing
>on the motherboard and cpu. I know it sounds stupid but what have you
>got to
>loose but some time.
>the other thing that comes to mind is the PS, what brand is it?

its a qtec PSU, i was talkin to someone else about this problem and
what i failed to mention was that fact that when everything went of i
meant the screen, speakers and mic etc, i can still here the comp
goin, he thought it may be an over heatin GPU, im gonna do the fan
test thing on the GPU and c if that solves my problem

i have a GeForece 660, does any1 know a program i can use to monitor
the temp?

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

check temps in the bios.
check the heatsink is mounted as per instructions IE correc orientation &
thermal gunk.