Raid Controllers

What exactly is the RAID Controller and what is the
purpose of Raid?
Also where is a good place to get the drivers?
My specs:
Asrock P4 2.0ghz model P4VT8
512Ram
Win XP Pro
e-Geforce FX 5200 nvidia 128MB Video card
Thanks.
..

If you have to ask, you shouldn't be using it.

RAID is a Random Array of Independent Disks.

Here is a good source of info about it:
http://www.acnc.com/raid.html

This requires more than one hard drive and you should only setup your
computer with RAID if you understand what it is, how to set it up, and
why you need it.

----
Nathan McNulty

jah711 wrote:
> What exactly is the RAID Controller and what is the
> purpose of Raid?
> Also where is a good place to get the drivers?
> My specs:
> Asrock P4 2.0ghz model P4VT8
> 512Ram
> Win XP Pro
> e-Geforce FX 5200 nvidia 128MB Video card
> Thanks.
> .

bar

Short for Redundant Array of Independent (or Inexpensive) Disks, a category
of disk drives that employ two or more drives in combination for fault
tolerance and performance. RAID disk drives are used frequently on servers
but aren't generally necessary for personal computers.

There are number of different RAID levels:

Level 0 -- Striped Disk Array without Fault Tolerance: Provides data
striping (spreading out blocks of each file across multiple disk drives) but
no redundancy. This improves performance without fault tolerance such that if
one drive fails then all data in the array is lost.
Level 1 -- Mirroring and Duplexing: Provides disk mirroring. Level 1
provides twice the read transaction rate of single disks and the same write
transaction rate as single disks.
Level 2 -- Error-Correcting Coding: Not a typical implementation and rarely
used, Level 2 stripes data at the bit level rather than the block level.
Level 3 -- Bit-Interleaved Parity: Provides byte-level striping with a
dedicated parity disk. Level 3, which cannot service simultaneous multiple
requests, also is rarely used.
Level 4 -- Dedicated Parity Drive: A commonly used implementation of RAID,
Level 4 provides block-level striping (like Level 0) with a parity disk. If a
data disk fails, the parity data is used to create a replacement disk. A
disadvantage to Level 4 is that the parity disk can create write bottlenecks.
Level 5 -- Block Interleaved Distributed Parity: Provides data striping at
the byte level and also stripe error correction information. This results in
excellent performance and good fault tolerance. Level 5 is one of the most
popular implementations of RAID.
Level 6 -- Independent Data Disks with Double Parity: Provides block-level
striping with parity data distributed across all disks.
Level 0+1 – A Mirror of Stripes: Not one of the original RAID levels, two
RAID 0 stripes are created, and a RAID 1 mirror is created over them. Used
for both replicating and sharing data among disks.
Level 10 – A Stripe of Mirrors: Not one of the original RAID levels,
multiple RAID 1 mirrors are created, and a RAID 0 stripe is created over
these.
Level 7: A trademark of Storage Computer Corporation that adds caching to
Levels 3 or 4.
RAID S: EMC Corporation's proprietary striped pairty RAID system used in its
Symmetrix storage systems.

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> If you have to ask, you shouldn't be using it.
>
> RAID is a Random Array of Independent Disks.
>
> Here is a good source of info about it:
> http://www.acnc.com/raid.html
>
> This requires more than one hard drive and you should only setup your
> computer with RAID if you understand what it is, how to set it up, and
> why you need it.
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> jah711 wrote:
> > What exactly is the RAID Controller and what is the
> > purpose of Raid?
> > Also where is a good place to get the drivers?
> > My specs:
> > Asrock P4 2.0ghz model P4VT8
> > 512Ram
> > Win XP Pro
> > e-Geforce FX 5200 nvidia 128MB Video card
> > Thanks.
> > .

Thanks for catching my mistake. Typing off the top of my head again.
Random should have been Redundant.

----
Nathan McNulty