Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Unknown Device on new A8N-SLI setup

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 24, 2005 9:28:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Hi,

I'm wrapping up my build of my new A8N-SLI Premium.
On completion, I have ONE Unknown Device in Device Manager. The only
information is that it's "on the PCI bus."

I disabled the Marvell Gb Lan in BIOS, but I installed a driver,
anyway. That didn't get rid of the Unknown device.
I disabled the SI 3114 SATA controller in BIOS. I think that does sit
on the PCI bus, but with it disabled, it shouldn't show in Device
Manager, should it?

My FireWire, USB, onboard sound, and nVidia Ethernet adapter are
recognized, so it wouldn't seem to be any of those.

In the past, I've usually found that these devices went away after I'd
installed all driver packages, but I can't think of any others to
install.

Any ideas??

Ron
Ron
June 24, 2005 9:28:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

In article <pkgob1hjanckcqlm3bkmp3klc8a48gvmog@4ax.com>,
miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm wrapping up my build of my new A8N-SLI Premium.
> On completion, I have ONE Unknown Device in Device Manager. The only
> information is that it's "on the PCI bus."
>
> I disabled the Marvell Gb Lan in BIOS, but I installed a driver,
> anyway. That didn't get rid of the Unknown device.
> I disabled the SI 3114 SATA controller in BIOS. I think that does sit
> on the PCI bus, but with it disabled, it shouldn't show in Device
> Manager, should it?
>
> My FireWire, USB, onboard sound, and nVidia Ethernet adapter are
> recognized, so it wouldn't seem to be any of those.
>
> In the past, I've usually found that these devices went away after I'd
> installed all driver packages, but I can't think of any others to
> install.
>
> Any ideas??
>
> Ron

"ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY" - as used by AIBooster ?

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=382600

Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 24, 2005 10:05:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote in message
news:p kgob1hjanckcqlm3bkmp3klc8a48gvmog@4ax.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm wrapping up my build of my new A8N-SLI Premium.
> On completion, I have ONE Unknown Device in Device Manager. The only
> information is that it's "on the PCI bus."
>
> I disabled the Marvell Gb Lan in BIOS, but I installed a driver,
> anyway. That didn't get rid of the Unknown device.
> I disabled the SI 3114 SATA controller in BIOS. I think that does sit
> on the PCI bus, but with it disabled, it shouldn't show in Device
> Manager, should it?
>
> My FireWire, USB, onboard sound, and nVidia Ethernet adapter are
> recognized, so it wouldn't seem to be any of those.
>
> In the past, I've usually found that these devices went away after I'd
> installed all driver packages, but I can't think of any others to
> install.
>
> Any ideas??
>
> Ron
> Ron
Hi Ron
Soundes like the soud card drivers or the AMD chipset drivers. I have the
same board and mine went away when I loaded the sound card driver. Good
luck.
R. Bates
Related resources
June 25, 2005 12:13:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:02:25 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>In article <pkgob1hjanckcqlm3bkmp3klc8a48gvmog@4ax.com>,
>miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm wrapping up my build of my new A8N-SLI Premium.
>> On completion, I have ONE Unknown Device in Device Manager. The only
>> information is that it's "on the PCI bus."
>>
>> I disabled the Marvell Gb Lan in BIOS, but I installed a driver,
>> anyway. That didn't get rid of the Unknown device.
>> I disabled the SI 3114 SATA controller in BIOS. I think that does sit
>> on the PCI bus, but with it disabled, it shouldn't show in Device
>> Manager, should it?
>>
>> My FireWire, USB, onboard sound, and nVidia Ethernet adapter are
>> recognized, so it wouldn't seem to be any of those.
>>
>> In the past, I've usually found that these devices went away after I'd
>> installed all driver packages, but I can't think of any others to
>> install.
>>
>> Any ideas??
>>
>> Ron
>
>"ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY" - as used by AIBooster ?
>
>http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=382600
>
> Paul

Paul,

That's exactly what it was. How did you discover that without owning
the board? I always thought you were a genius, but now I think you
have a crystal ball. I'm not sure how you located that thread without
the knowledge that I was looking for the ATK0110. That alphanumeric
string is included on the Properties page of my "Unknown Device," but
I didn't include the info in my original post, because I had no idea
it was actually the name of a device I should be looking for. I
figured it was an arcane reference to its location or device number or
something.
Thanks again.

Ron
June 25, 2005 12:13:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

In article <utpob1d8n6fv93saohl90kie8rfa8vrvk2@4ax.com>,
miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:02:25 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
>
> >In article <pkgob1hjanckcqlm3bkmp3klc8a48gvmog@4ax.com>,
> >miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm wrapping up my build of my new A8N-SLI Premium.
> >> On completion, I have ONE Unknown Device in Device Manager. The only
> >> information is that it's "on the PCI bus."
> >>
> >> I disabled the Marvell Gb Lan in BIOS, but I installed a driver,
> >> anyway. That didn't get rid of the Unknown device.
> >> I disabled the SI 3114 SATA controller in BIOS. I think that does sit
> >> on the PCI bus, but with it disabled, it shouldn't show in Device
> >> Manager, should it?
> >>
> >> My FireWire, USB, onboard sound, and nVidia Ethernet adapter are
> >> recognized, so it wouldn't seem to be any of those.
> >>
> >> In the past, I've usually found that these devices went away after I'd
> >> installed all driver packages, but I can't think of any others to
> >> install.
> >>
> >> Any ideas??
> >>
> >> Ron
> >
> >"ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY" - as used by AIBooster ?
> >
> >http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=382600
> >
> > Paul
>
> Paul,
>
> That's exactly what it was. How did you discover that without owning
> the board? I always thought you were a genius, but now I think you
> have a crystal ball. I'm not sure how you located that thread without
> the knowledge that I was looking for the ATK0110. That alphanumeric
> string is included on the Properties page of my "Unknown Device," but
> I didn't include the info in my original post, because I had no idea
> it was actually the name of a device I should be looking for. I
> figured it was an arcane reference to its location or device number or
> something.
> Thanks again.
>
> Ron

Ben Pope picked that up on a different board seveal months back,
so now that is on my "check list" :-)

Paul
June 25, 2005 4:03:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:48:21 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>In article <utpob1d8n6fv93saohl90kie8rfa8vrvk2@4ax.com>,
>miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:02:25 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
>>
>> >In article <pkgob1hjanckcqlm3bkmp3klc8a48gvmog@4ax.com>,
>> >miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:
>> >
>> >> Hi,
>> >>
>> >> I'm wrapping up my build of my new A8N-SLI Premium.
>> >> On completion, I have ONE Unknown Device in Device Manager. The only
>> >> information is that it's "on the PCI bus."
>> >>
>> >> I disabled the Marvell Gb Lan in BIOS, but I installed a driver,
>> >> anyway. That didn't get rid of the Unknown device.
>> >> I disabled the SI 3114 SATA controller in BIOS. I think that does sit
>> >> on the PCI bus, but with it disabled, it shouldn't show in Device
>> >> Manager, should it?
>> >>
>> >> My FireWire, USB, onboard sound, and nVidia Ethernet adapter are
>> >> recognized, so it wouldn't seem to be any of those.
>> >>
>> >> In the past, I've usually found that these devices went away after I'd
>> >> installed all driver packages, but I can't think of any others to
>> >> install.
>> >>
>> >> Any ideas??
>> >>
>> >> Ron
>> >
>> >"ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY" - as used by AIBooster ?
>> >
>> >http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=382600
>> >
>> > Paul
>>
>> Paul,
>>
>> That's exactly what it was. How did you discover that without owning
>> the board? I always thought you were a genius, but now I think you
>> have a crystal ball. I'm not sure how you located that thread without
>> the knowledge that I was looking for the ATK0110. That alphanumeric
>> string is included on the Properties page of my "Unknown Device," but
>> I didn't include the info in my original post, because I had no idea
>> it was actually the name of a device I should be looking for. I
>> figured it was an arcane reference to its location or device number or
>> something.
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> Ron
>
>Ben Pope picked that up on a different board seveal months back,
>so now that is on my "check list" :-)
>
> Paul

Now, I have the driver for the ACPI utility installed, but
installation of Ai Booster fails with the message "Fail install IO
driver." I've googled that and found that many others have reported
it but no one's given a good explanation or fix for it yet. Maybe
it's on your "check list" <hope, hope>

Ron
June 25, 2005 5:55:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

In article <2n7pb15qf4r58qnu4q9gckssgg6ffiuf5c@4ax.com>,
miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:48:21 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
>
> Now, I have the driver for the ACPI utility installed, but
> installation of Ai Booster fails with the message "Fail install IO
> driver." I've googled that and found that many others have reported
> it but no one's given a good explanation or fix for it yet. Maybe
> it's on your "check list" <hope, hope>
>
> Ron

My track record on fixing this one is a big zero...

About all I could suggest, is looking for the latest version.
The last Aibooster I downloaded was 20051, and perhaps there is
a later one by now. (Enter "tools" as the motherboard model number
on the download page.)

http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/AIBooster20... (3.25MB)

Since the driver works in an ACPI framework, make sure ACPI is
enabled (if there is an option in the BIOS - the setting may
not be shown in the manual). I don't know if there is any
interaction or issues with Cool N' Quiet, so maybe you could
play with that setting as well. As I understand it, when you want
to overclock, you have to disable CNQ (maybe that too has been
fixed?).

Your motherboard CD could have a manual. I got this manual a while back,
so perhaps a better one has been written by now. At least it will
show you what you're missing.

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4p800/AIBoos...

I think you could have about as much fun with "clockgen" from cpuid.com
and "A64tweaker" for memory settings. "Ntune" might be another option,
and I'm downloading this right now for a look (to see if there is
a list of supported motherboards). Ntune is pretty specific about
the mobo it is written for, and especially considering the creation
date of this file, this app might not understand your board.

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/asus/misc/utils/nvidia/nTune2...

Paul
June 25, 2005 10:55:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 01:55:50 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>In article <2n7pb15qf4r58qnu4q9gckssgg6ffiuf5c@4ax.com>,
>miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:48:21 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
>>
>> Now, I have the driver for the ACPI utility installed, but
>> installation of Ai Booster fails with the message "Fail install IO
>> driver." I've googled that and found that many others have reported
>> it but no one's given a good explanation or fix for it yet. Maybe
>> it's on your "check list" <hope, hope>
>>
>> Ron
>
>My track record on fixing this one is a big zero...
>
>About all I could suggest, is looking for the latest version.
>The last Aibooster I downloaded was 20051, and perhaps there is
>a later one by now. (Enter "tools" as the motherboard model number
>on the download page.)
>
>http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/AIBooster20... (3.25MB)
>
>Since the driver works in an ACPI framework, make sure ACPI is
>enabled (if there is an option in the BIOS - the setting may
>not be shown in the manual). I don't know if there is any
>interaction or issues with Cool N' Quiet, so maybe you could
>play with that setting as well. As I understand it, when you want
>to overclock, you have to disable CNQ (maybe that too has been
>fixed?).
>
>Your motherboard CD could have a manual. I got this manual a while back,
>so perhaps a better one has been written by now. At least it will
>show you what you're missing.
>
>ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4p800/AIBoos...
>
>I think you could have about as much fun with "clockgen" from cpuid.com
>and "A64tweaker" for memory settings. "Ntune" might be another option,
>and I'm downloading this right now for a look (to see if there is
>a list of supported motherboards). Ntune is pretty specific about
>the mobo it is written for, and especially considering the creation
>date of this file, this app might not understand your board.
>
>ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/asus/misc/utils/nvidia/nTune2...
>
> Paul

ACPI framework is enabled.
I did download the very latest Ai Booster from Asus -- same hangup
CNQ is disabled.
I did get Ntune installed. Does it provide the same functionality as
Ai Booster? (There's nothing on Ai Booster in my printed manual, and
there's no Ai Boster PDF on the motherboard's CD.) The manual in the
link you gave explains it though. I guess it's a Windows GUI for
overclocking. Since I never do that, I have no use for it, and I'm
therefore not going to spend more time trying to get it installed.

Thanks

Ron
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 25, 2005 12:43:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Just jumping in here with some info. Have the A8N-SLI Dlx board which so
far has run well. I did have the problem with this device in Control Panel
and heard of the AI Booster connecton. However, this was a clean install of
XP Pro SP2 and AI Boost had never been installed??

Finally figured it out but don't exactly remember how, rats! Anyway, the
driver for this device is: ASACPI.sys found in the
%\Windows\system32\drivers file when properly installed. I "think" it was
finally fixed by installing the AMD X64 driver from their website but would
not sware to that.

Anyway, hope this helps!
Len

"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote in message
news:rfvpb1lj8ptbltarblhfrok36ealdb41g1@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 01:55:50 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
>
>>In article <2n7pb15qf4r58qnu4q9gckssgg6ffiuf5c@4ax.com>,
>>miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:48:21 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
>>>
>>> Now, I have the driver for the ACPI utility installed, but
>>> installation of Ai Booster fails with the message "Fail install IO
>>> driver." I've googled that and found that many others have reported
>>> it but no one's given a good explanation or fix for it yet. Maybe
>>> it's on your "check list" <hope, hope>
>>>
>>> Ron
>>
>>My track record on fixing this one is a big zero...
>>
>>About all I could suggest, is looking for the latest version.
>>The last Aibooster I downloaded was 20051, and perhaps there is
>>a later one by now. (Enter "tools" as the motherboard model number
>>on the download page.)
>>
>>http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/AIBooster20... (3.25MB)
>>
>>Since the driver works in an ACPI framework, make sure ACPI is
>>enabled (if there is an option in the BIOS - the setting may
>>not be shown in the manual). I don't know if there is any
>>interaction or issues with Cool N' Quiet, so maybe you could
>>play with that setting as well. As I understand it, when you want
>>to overclock, you have to disable CNQ (maybe that too has been
>>fixed?).
>>
>>Your motherboard CD could have a manual. I got this manual a while back,
>>so perhaps a better one has been written by now. At least it will
>>show you what you're missing.
>>
>>ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4p800/AIBoos...
>>
>>I think you could have about as much fun with "clockgen" from cpuid.com
>>and "A64tweaker" for memory settings. "Ntune" might be another option,
>>and I'm downloading this right now for a look (to see if there is
>>a list of supported motherboards). Ntune is pretty specific about
>>the mobo it is written for, and especially considering the creation
>>date of this file, this app might not understand your board.
>>
>>ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/asus/misc/utils/nvidia/nTune2...
>>
>> Paul
>
> ACPI framework is enabled.
> I did download the very latest Ai Booster from Asus -- same hangup
> CNQ is disabled.
> I did get Ntune installed. Does it provide the same functionality as
> Ai Booster? (There's nothing on Ai Booster in my printed manual, and
> there's no Ai Boster PDF on the motherboard's CD.) The manual in the
> link you gave explains it though. I guess it's a Windows GUI for
> overclocking. Since I never do that, I have no use for it, and I'm
> therefore not going to spend more time trying to get it installed.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ron
June 26, 2005 12:34:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 08:43:36 -0400, "Len Mattix" <len207@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Just jumping in here with some info. Have the A8N-SLI Dlx board which so
>far has run well. I did have the problem with this device in Control Panel
>and heard of the AI Booster connecton. However, this was a clean install of
>XP Pro SP2 and AI Boost had never been installed??

Correct. I solved the "unknown-device" problem by running
ASUSACPI.exe from the root directory of the Asus CD. However, I still
can't install Ai Booster. No matter which version I try, its setup
gets about 20% through and then stops with the error message "Fail
install IO driver." I'm thinking it might have something to do with
the way I have the BIOS set up. I think that Ai Booster is
incompatible with Cool 'N' Quiet, so I have that disabled, but i don't
know what else to try. Please answer this and question below if you
know the answers.
>
>Finally figured it out but don't exactly remember how, rats! Anyway, the
>driver for this device is: ASACPI.sys found in the
>%\Windows\system32\drivers file when properly installed. I "think" it was
>finally fixed by installing the AMD X64 driver from their website but would
>not sware to that.
>
>Anyway, hope this helps!
>Len

What driver are you referring to? Do you mean the nForce chipset
driver for 64-bit Windows XP?
The Ai Booster I tried to install is supposed to be for both 32-bit
and 64-bit Windows XP (if that's possible). At least that's how it's
labeled.
If nTune does the same thing as Ai Booster, then I'm not too concerned
with getting Ai Booster installed. In the final analysis, though, I'm
an incurable geek, and it bothers me that I can't install the utility
even if it's true that I may have no use for it.

Ron


snip
Ron
!