Unknown Device on new A8N-SLI setup

Hi,

I'm wrapping up my build of my new A8N-SLI Premium.
On completion, I have ONE Unknown Device in Device Manager. The only
information is that it's "on the PCI bus."

I disabled the Marvell Gb Lan in BIOS, but I installed a driver,
anyway. That didn't get rid of the Unknown device.
I disabled the SI 3114 SATA controller in BIOS. I think that does sit
on the PCI bus, but with it disabled, it shouldn't show in Device
Manager, should it?

My FireWire, USB, onboard sound, and nVidia Ethernet adapter are
recognized, so it wouldn't seem to be any of those.

In the past, I've usually found that these devices went away after I'd
installed all driver packages, but I can't think of any others to
install.

Any ideas??

Ron
Ron
9 answers Last reply
More about unknown device setup

    In article <pkgob1hjanckcqlm3bkmp3klc8a48gvmog@4ax.com>,
    miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm wrapping up my build of my new A8N-SLI Premium.
    > On completion, I have ONE Unknown Device in Device Manager. The only
    > information is that it's "on the PCI bus."
    >
    > I disabled the Marvell Gb Lan in BIOS, but I installed a driver,
    > anyway. That didn't get rid of the Unknown device.
    > I disabled the SI 3114 SATA controller in BIOS. I think that does sit
    > on the PCI bus, but with it disabled, it shouldn't show in Device
    > Manager, should it?
    >
    > My FireWire, USB, onboard sound, and nVidia Ethernet adapter are
    > recognized, so it wouldn't seem to be any of those.
    >
    > In the past, I've usually found that these devices went away after I'd
    > installed all driver packages, but I can't think of any others to
    > install.
    >
    > Any ideas??
    >
    > Ron

    "ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY" - as used by AIBooster ?

    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=382600

    Paul

    "milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm wrapping up my build of my new A8N-SLI Premium.
    > On completion, I have ONE Unknown Device in Device Manager. The only
    > information is that it's "on the PCI bus."
    >
    > I disabled the Marvell Gb Lan in BIOS, but I installed a driver,
    > anyway. That didn't get rid of the Unknown device.
    > I disabled the SI 3114 SATA controller in BIOS. I think that does sit
    > on the PCI bus, but with it disabled, it shouldn't show in Device
    > Manager, should it?
    >
    > My FireWire, USB, onboard sound, and nVidia Ethernet adapter are
    > recognized, so it wouldn't seem to be any of those.
    >
    > In the past, I've usually found that these devices went away after I'd
    > installed all driver packages, but I can't think of any others to
    > install.
    >
    > Any ideas??
    >
    > Ron
    > Ron
    Hi Ron
    Soundes like the soud card drivers or the AMD chipset drivers. I have the
    same board and mine went away when I loaded the sound card driver. Good
    luck.
    R. Bates

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:02:25 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    >In article <pkgob1hjanckcqlm3bkmp3klc8a48gvmog@4ax.com>,
    >miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm wrapping up my build of my new A8N-SLI Premium.
    >> On completion, I have ONE Unknown Device in Device Manager. The only
    >> information is that it's "on the PCI bus."
    >>
    >> I disabled the Marvell Gb Lan in BIOS, but I installed a driver,
    >> anyway. That didn't get rid of the Unknown device.
    >> I disabled the SI 3114 SATA controller in BIOS. I think that does sit
    >> on the PCI bus, but with it disabled, it shouldn't show in Device
    >> Manager, should it?
    >>
    >> My FireWire, USB, onboard sound, and nVidia Ethernet adapter are
    >> recognized, so it wouldn't seem to be any of those.
    >>
    >> In the past, I've usually found that these devices went away after I'd
    >> installed all driver packages, but I can't think of any others to
    >> install.
    >>
    >> Any ideas??
    >>
    >> Ron
    >
    >"ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY" - as used by AIBooster ?
    >
    >http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=382600
    >
    > Paul

    Paul,

    That's exactly what it was. How did you discover that without owning
    the board? I always thought you were a genius, but now I think you
    have a crystal ball. I'm not sure how you located that thread without
    the knowledge that I was looking for the ATK0110. That alphanumeric
    string is included on the Properties page of my "Unknown Device," but
    I didn't include the info in my original post, because I had no idea
    it was actually the name of a device I should be looking for. I
    figured it was an arcane reference to its location or device number or
    something.
    Thanks again.

    Ron

    In article <utpob1d8n6fv93saohl90kie8rfa8vrvk2@4ax.com>,
    miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:

    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:02:25 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
    >
    > >In article <pkgob1hjanckcqlm3bkmp3klc8a48gvmog@4ax.com>,
    > >miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I'm wrapping up my build of my new A8N-SLI Premium.
    > >> On completion, I have ONE Unknown Device in Device Manager. The only
    > >> information is that it's "on the PCI bus."
    > >>
    > >> I disabled the Marvell Gb Lan in BIOS, but I installed a driver,
    > >> anyway. That didn't get rid of the Unknown device.
    > >> I disabled the SI 3114 SATA controller in BIOS. I think that does sit
    > >> on the PCI bus, but with it disabled, it shouldn't show in Device
    > >> Manager, should it?
    > >>
    > >> My FireWire, USB, onboard sound, and nVidia Ethernet adapter are
    > >> recognized, so it wouldn't seem to be any of those.
    > >>
    > >> In the past, I've usually found that these devices went away after I'd
    > >> installed all driver packages, but I can't think of any others to
    > >> install.
    > >>
    > >> Any ideas??
    > >>
    > >> Ron
    > >
    > >"ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY" - as used by AIBooster ?
    > >
    > >http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=382600
    > >
    > > Paul
    >
    > Paul,
    >
    > That's exactly what it was. How did you discover that without owning
    > the board? I always thought you were a genius, but now I think you
    > have a crystal ball. I'm not sure how you located that thread without
    > the knowledge that I was looking for the ATK0110. That alphanumeric
    > string is included on the Properties page of my "Unknown Device," but
    > I didn't include the info in my original post, because I had no idea
    > it was actually the name of a device I should be looking for. I
    > figured it was an arcane reference to its location or device number or
    > something.
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > Ron

    Ben Pope picked that up on a different board seveal months back,
    so now that is on my "check list" :-)

    Paul

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:48:21 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    >In article <utpob1d8n6fv93saohl90kie8rfa8vrvk2@4ax.com>,
    >miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:02:25 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    >> >"ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY" - as used by AIBooster ?
    >> >
    >> >http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=382600
    >> >
    >> > Paul
    >>
    >> Paul,
    >>
    >> That's exactly what it was. How did you discover that without owning
    >> the board? I always thought you were a genius, but now I think you
    >> have a crystal ball. I'm not sure how you located that thread without
    >> the knowledge that I was looking for the ATK0110. That alphanumeric
    >> string is included on the Properties page of my "Unknown Device," but
    >> I didn't include the info in my original post, because I had no idea
    >> it was actually the name of a device I should be looking for. I
    >> figured it was an arcane reference to its location or device number or
    >> something.
    >> Thanks again.
    >>
    >> Ron
    >
    >Ben Pope picked that up on a different board seveal months back,
    >so now that is on my "check list" :-)
    >
    > Paul

    Now, I have the driver for the ACPI utility installed, but
    installation of Ai Booster fails with the message "Fail install IO
    driver." I've googled that and found that many others have reported
    it but no one's given a good explanation or fix for it yet. Maybe
    it's on your "check list" <hope, hope>

    Ron

    In article <2n7pb15qf4r58qnu4q9gckssgg6ffiuf5c@4ax.com>,
    miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:

    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:48:21 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
    >
    > Now, I have the driver for the ACPI utility installed, but
    > installation of Ai Booster fails with the message "Fail install IO
    > driver." I've googled that and found that many others have reported
    > it but no one's given a good explanation or fix for it yet. Maybe
    > it's on your "check list" <hope, hope>
    >
    > Ron

    My track record on fixing this one is a big zero...

    About all I could suggest, is looking for the latest version.
    The last Aibooster I downloaded was 20051, and perhaps there is
    a later one by now. (Enter "tools" as the motherboard model number
    on the download page.)

    http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/AIBooster20051.zip (3.25MB)

    Since the driver works in an ACPI framework, make sure ACPI is
    enabled (if there is an option in the BIOS - the setting may
    not be shown in the manual). I don't know if there is any
    interaction or issues with Cool N' Quiet, so maybe you could
    play with that setting as well. As I understand it, when you want
    to overclock, you have to disable CNQ (maybe that too has been
    fixed?).

    Your motherboard CD could have a manual. I got this manual a while back,
    so perhaps a better one has been written by now. At least it will
    show you what you're missing.

    ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4p800/AIBooster_u.pdf

    I think you could have about as much fun with "clockgen" from cpuid.com
    and "A64tweaker" for memory settings. "Ntune" might be another option,
    and I'm downloading this right now for a look (to see if there is
    a list of supported motherboards). Ntune is pretty specific about
    the mobo it is written for, and especially considering the creation
    date of this file, this app might not understand your board.

    ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/asus/misc/utils/nvidia/nTune2005.zip

    Paul

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 01:55:50 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    >In article <2n7pb15qf4r58qnu4q9gckssgg6ffiuf5c@4ax.com>,
    >miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:48:21 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
    >>
    >> Now, I have the driver for the ACPI utility installed, but
    >> installation of Ai Booster fails with the message "Fail install IO
    >> driver." I've googled that and found that many others have reported
    >> it but no one's given a good explanation or fix for it yet. Maybe
    >> it's on your "check list" <hope, hope>
    >>
    >> Ron
    >
    >My track record on fixing this one is a big zero...
    >
    >About all I could suggest, is looking for the latest version.
    >The last Aibooster I downloaded was 20051, and perhaps there is
    >a later one by now. (Enter "tools" as the motherboard model number
    >on the download page.)
    >
    >http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/AIBooster20051.zip (3.25MB)
    >
    >Since the driver works in an ACPI framework, make sure ACPI is
    >enabled (if there is an option in the BIOS - the setting may
    >not be shown in the manual). I don't know if there is any
    >interaction or issues with Cool N' Quiet, so maybe you could
    >play with that setting as well. As I understand it, when you want
    >to overclock, you have to disable CNQ (maybe that too has been
    >fixed?).
    >
    >Your motherboard CD could have a manual. I got this manual a while back,
    >so perhaps a better one has been written by now. At least it will
    >show you what you're missing.
    >
    >ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4p800/AIBooster_u.pdf
    >
    >I think you could have about as much fun with "clockgen" from cpuid.com
    >and "A64tweaker" for memory settings. "Ntune" might be another option,
    >and I'm downloading this right now for a look (to see if there is
    >a list of supported motherboards). Ntune is pretty specific about
    >the mobo it is written for, and especially considering the creation
    >date of this file, this app might not understand your board.
    >
    >ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/asus/misc/utils/nvidia/nTune2005.zip
    >
    > Paul

    ACPI framework is enabled.
    I did download the very latest Ai Booster from Asus -- same hangup
    CNQ is disabled.
    I did get Ntune installed. Does it provide the same functionality as
    Ai Booster? (There's nothing on Ai Booster in my printed manual, and
    there's no Ai Boster PDF on the motherboard's CD.) The manual in the
    link you gave explains it though. I guess it's a Windows GUI for
    overclocking. Since I never do that, I have no use for it, and I'm
    therefore not going to spend more time trying to get it installed.

    Thanks

    Ron

    Just jumping in here with some info. Have the A8N-SLI Dlx board which so
    far has run well. I did have the problem with this device in Control Panel
    and heard of the AI Booster connecton. However, this was a clean install of
    XP Pro SP2 and AI Boost had never been installed??

    Finally figured it out but don't exactly remember how, rats! Anyway, the
    driver for this device is: ASACPI.sys found in the
    %\Windows\system32\drivers file when properly installed. I "think" it was
    finally fixed by installing the AMD X64 driver from their website but would
    not sware to that.

    Anyway, hope this helps!
    Len

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 08:43:36 -0400, "Len Mattix" <len207@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Just jumping in here with some info. Have the A8N-SLI Dlx board which so
    >far has run well. I did have the problem with this device in Control Panel
    >and heard of the AI Booster connecton. However, this was a clean install of
    >XP Pro SP2 and AI Boost had never been installed??

    Correct. I solved the "unknown-device" problem by running
    ASUSACPI.exe from the root directory of the Asus CD. However, I still
    can't install Ai Booster. No matter which version I try, its setup
    gets about 20% through and then stops with the error message "Fail
    install IO driver." I'm thinking it might have something to do with
    the way I have the BIOS set up. I think that Ai Booster is
    incompatible with Cool 'N' Quiet, so I have that disabled, but i don't
    know what else to try. Please answer this and question below if you
    know the answers.

    >Finally figured it out but don't exactly remember how, rats! Anyway, the
    >driver for this device is: ASACPI.sys found in the
    >%\Windows\system32\drivers file when properly installed. I "think" it was
    >finally fixed by installing the AMD X64 driver from their website but would
    >not sware to that.
    >
    >Anyway, hope this helps!
    >Len

    What driver are you referring to? Do you mean the nForce chipset
    driver for 64-bit Windows XP?
    The Ai Booster I tried to install is supposed to be for both 32-bit
    and 64-bit Windows XP (if that's possible). At least that's how it's
    labeled.
    If nTune does the same thing as Ai Booster, then I'm not too concerned
    with getting Ai Booster installed. In the final analysis, though, I'm
    an incurable geek, and it bothers me that I can't install the utility
    even if it's true that I may have no use for it.

    Ron

    snip
    Ron

Asus SLI Devices Motherboards