DVD-ROM won't read data disks (DVD and CD media)

September 7, 2004 4:10:14 AM

Here is my problem:

DVD-ROM won't read data (DVD and CD media) disks after
reboot in WinXP, but will read and play audio CD's. 'My
Computer' icon initially shows DVD-ROM drive, which
changes to CD-ROM icon after any disk inserted; any
attempt to explore the drive brings up 'Please insert disk
in drive I:', which is correct drive letter.

1. DVD-ROM will work (read all disks) ONE TIME (first
boot) after I move it to another location on IDE cable
(jumpers good), or change a setting related to the drive
or IDE; subsequent reboot causes above indications.

2. DVD-ROM will read disks no problem using a DOS boot
disk (i.e. win98) w/CD drivers on my computer. Moved it to
daughters computer running win98, and it works fine.
Moved it back to this computer.

3. DVD-ROM (Artec 16X) is currently jumpered as master on
secondary IDE buss, Plextor CD-RW is jumpered slave on
same buss. Both drives are correctly recognized by bios
and winXP device manager.

4. Bought a SiiG ultra ata PCI/IDE controller card, tried
the DVD-ROM by itself on this card (has its own bios);
again, recognized correctly in WinXP, works FIRST time
boot, but no boots after that. Again, audio CD's play.

5. Changing DMA/PIO settings in bios or in winXP device
manager only results in drive working on FIRST boot,
again, not after.

6. Uninstalling DVD-ROM in device manager and then
hardware search does not fix the problem. Registry upper
and lower filter delete article did not work either (only
had lower filter). I've also uninstalled ALL burning type
software.

7. I'm running HP Home Upgrade (previously win98 SE)
with SP2 installed. MOBO is Albatron KX600 Pro w/Athlon
2600+. MOBO bios is current, DVD-ROM firmware is current
(box says 'Engineered for winXP), CD-RW is current. No
other OS system problems other than this (so far).

Why would this drive work perfectly at initial install
boot-up, but not after? Is there something in the OS
registry changing upon reboot? Can I change something in
the registry to get drive to work? ANY help would be
appreciated.
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 4:35:59 AM

I would start here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641

----
Nathan McNulty

Randy wrote:
> Here is my problem:
>
> DVD-ROM won't read data (DVD and CD media) disks after
> reboot in WinXP, but will read and play audio CD's. 'My
> Computer' icon initially shows DVD-ROM drive, which
> changes to CD-ROM icon after any disk inserted; any
> attempt to explore the drive brings up 'Please insert disk
> in drive I:', which is correct drive letter.
>
> 1. DVD-ROM will work (read all disks) ONE TIME (first
> boot) after I move it to another location on IDE cable
> (jumpers good), or change a setting related to the drive
> or IDE; subsequent reboot causes above indications.
>
> 2. DVD-ROM will read disks no problem using a DOS boot
> disk (i.e. win98) w/CD drivers on my computer. Moved it to
> daughters computer running win98, and it works fine.
> Moved it back to this computer.
>
> 3. DVD-ROM (Artec 16X) is currently jumpered as master on
> secondary IDE buss, Plextor CD-RW is jumpered slave on
> same buss. Both drives are correctly recognized by bios
> and winXP device manager.
>
> 4. Bought a SiiG ultra ata PCI/IDE controller card, tried
> the DVD-ROM by itself on this card (has its own bios);
> again, recognized correctly in WinXP, works FIRST time
> boot, but no boots after that. Again, audio CD's play.
>
> 5. Changing DMA/PIO settings in bios or in winXP device
> manager only results in drive working on FIRST boot,
> again, not after.
>
> 6. Uninstalling DVD-ROM in device manager and then
> hardware search does not fix the problem. Registry upper
> and lower filter delete article did not work either (only
> had lower filter). I've also uninstalled ALL burning type
> software.
>
> 7. I'm running HP Home Upgrade (previously win98 SE)
> with SP2 installed. MOBO is Albatron KX600 Pro w/Athlon
> 2600+. MOBO bios is current, DVD-ROM firmware is current
> (box says 'Engineered for winXP), CD-RW is current. No
> other OS system problems other than this (so far).
>
> Why would this drive work perfectly at initial install
> boot-up, but not after? Is there something in the OS
> registry changing upon reboot? Can I change something in
> the registry to get drive to work? ANY help would be
> appreciated.

September 7, 2004 4:42:56 AM

Thanks but tried that, doesn't address my problem either...

us;321641

>----
>Nathan McNulty
>
>Randy wrote:
>> Here is my problem:
>>
>> DVD-ROM won't read data (DVD and CD media) disks after
>> reboot in WinXP, but will read and play audio CD's. 'My
>> Computer' icon initially shows DVD-ROM drive, which
>> changes to CD-ROM icon after any disk inserted; any
>> attempt to explore the drive brings up 'Please insert
disk
>> in drive I:', which is correct drive letter.
>>
>> 1. DVD-ROM will work (read all disks) ONE TIME (first
>> boot) after I move it to another location on IDE cable
>> (jumpers good), or change a setting related to the
drive
>> or IDE; subsequent reboot causes above indications.
>>
>> 2. DVD-ROM will read disks no problem using a DOS boot
>> disk (i.e. win98) w/CD drivers on my computer. Moved it
>> daughters computer running win98, and it works fine.
>> Moved it back to this computer.
>>
>> 3. DVD-ROM (Artec 16X) is currently jumpered as master
on
>> secondary IDE buss, Plextor CD-RW is jumpered slave on
>> same buss. Both drives are correctly recognized by bios
>> and winXP device manager.
>>
>> 4. Bought a SiiG ultra ata PCI/IDE controller card,
tried
>> the DVD-ROM by itself on this card (has its own bios);
>> again, recognized correctly in WinXP, works FIRST time
>> boot, but no boots after that. Again, audio CD's play.
>>
>> 5. Changing DMA/PIO settings in bios or in winXP device
>> manager only results in drive working on FIRST boot,
>> again, not after.
>>
>> 6. Uninstalling DVD-ROM in device manager and then
>> hardware search does not fix the problem. Registry
upper
>> and lower filter delete article did not work either
(only
>> had lower filter). I've also uninstalled ALL burning
type
>> software.
>>
>> 7. I'm running HP Home Upgrade (previously win98 SE)
>> with SP2 installed. MOBO is Albatron KX600 Pro w/Athlon
>> 2600+. MOBO bios is current, DVD-ROM firmware is
current
>> (box says 'Engineered for winXP), CD-RW is current. No
>> other OS system problems other than this (so far).
>>
>> Why would this drive work perfectly at initial install
>> boot-up, but not after? Is there something in the OS
>> registry changing upon reboot? Can I change something
in
>> the registry to get drive to work? ANY help would be
>> appreciated.
>>

>.

Related resources
September 7, 2004 5:25:02 AM

What make is your DVD rom?
I had the very same problem with my msi 16x dvd rom, I found that when you
put the disc in that if you hold shift it would read them once but not again.
would cause machine to freeze Im afraid the only way i cured it was by
buying another DVD rom. Now have a LG16x and it works fine, reads all disks

"Randy" wrote:

> Thanks but tried that, doesn't address my problem either...

September 7, 2004 3:05:02 PM

Hi,

I would suggest you to perform a clean installation of XP instead of an
upgrade installation from Win 98.
A clean installation may take about 25 minutes plus other times for updating
patches and re-installation of applications and drivers (may take several
hours to do that) but I think it is worth as you can save a lot of time to
chase for irregular issues.

Peter

"Randy" wrote:

> Here is my problem:
>
> DVD-ROM won't read data (DVD and CD media) disks after
> reboot in WinXP, but will read and play audio CD's. 'My
> Computer' icon initially shows DVD-ROM drive, which
> changes to CD-ROM icon after any disk inserted; any
> attempt to explore the drive brings up 'Please insert disk
> in drive I:', which is correct drive letter.
>
> 1. DVD-ROM will work (read all disks) ONE TIME (first
> boot) after I move it to another location on IDE cable
> (jumpers good), or change a setting related to the drive
> or IDE; subsequent reboot causes above indications.
>
> 2. DVD-ROM will read disks no problem using a DOS boot
> disk (i.e. win98) w/CD drivers on my computer. Moved it to
> daughters computer running win98, and it works fine.
> Moved it back to this computer.
>
> 3. DVD-ROM (Artec 16X) is currently jumpered as master on
> secondary IDE buss, Plextor CD-RW is jumpered slave on
> same buss. Both drives are correctly recognized by bios
> and winXP device manager.
>
> 4. Bought a SiiG ultra ata PCI/IDE controller card, tried
> the DVD-ROM by itself on this card (has its own bios);
> again, recognized correctly in WinXP, works FIRST time
> boot, but no boots after that. Again, audio CD's play.
>
> 5. Changing DMA/PIO settings in bios or in winXP device
> manager only results in drive working on FIRST boot,
> again, not after.
>
> 6. Uninstalling DVD-ROM in device manager and then
> hardware search does not fix the problem. Registry upper
> and lower filter delete article did not work either (only
> had lower filter). I've also uninstalled ALL burning type
> software.
>
> 7. I'm running HP Home Upgrade (previously win98 SE)
> with SP2 installed. MOBO is Albatron KX600 Pro w/Athlon
> 2600+. MOBO bios is current, DVD-ROM firmware is current
> (box says 'Engineered for winXP), CD-RW is current. No
> other OS system problems other than this (so far).
>
> Why would this drive work perfectly at initial install
> boot-up, but not after? Is there something in the OS
> registry changing upon reboot? Can I change something in
> the registry to get drive to work? ANY help would be
> appreciated.

September 8, 2004 5:12:45 AM

Rob,

Artec 16X DVD-ROM...it is definately not the problem,
because I put in an old 36X CD-ROM (uninstalled the DVD-
ROM, installed (& recognized by XP) 36X CD-ROM with the
same results (plays audio CD's, no data CD's)...BTW, the
DVD-ROM worked fine when my system was win98 SE, and works
fine if bootable disk installed and booted. I think the
issue is with my XP upgrade, and/or left over old OS
registry entries that seem to be not compatible. I've seen
lots of posts about ATAPI issues.

September 8, 2004 5:30:36 AM

Peter,

I agree with you, but I must point out that I bought
the 'upgrade' with the intention of not going about all
the time consuming re-installations (hence upgrade). I
just want to make sure that MS knows that there are some
with ATAPI hardware and WinXP issues. As a last resort,
will clean install, but that doesn't address my problem,
just by-passes it.

!