USB 2.0 Controller/Device

I will be in the middle of a backup or something similar and the device
disconnects and connects rapidly, but enough to stop the backup or disk
defrag or whatever........I have tried re-installing all the usb drivers,
preventing windows disconnecting the device etc etc but nothing stops this
irritating practice. The 250 Gb HDD is hanging off a 4 port PCI USB 2
Controller card

Any clues please?

Peter
2 answers Last reply
More about controller device

    Make sure that you do not attempt any other activity, no other applications
    running, do not use another USB device which is attched to the same card.

    ALso check your USB properties to see that you have not a default 'power
    saving' mode for the USB hub/ devices that cuts off the power.

    "Deadlegs" wrote:

    > I will be in the middle of a backup or something similar and the device
    > disconnects and connects rapidly, but enough to stop the backup or disk
    > defrag or whatever........I have tried re-installing all the usb drivers,
    > preventing windows disconnecting the device etc etc but nothing stops this
    > irritating practice. The 250 Gb HDD is hanging off a 4 port PCI USB 2
    > Controller card
    >
    > Any clues please?
    >
    > Peter

    Done all of that but unfortunately seems not to have made a difference.
    > Make sure that you do not attempt any other activity, no other
    > applications
    > running, do not use another USB device which is attched to the same card.
    >
    > ALso check your USB properties to see that you have not a default 'power
    > saving' mode for the USB hub/ devices that cuts off the power.
    >
    > "Deadlegs" wrote:
    >
    >> I will be in the middle of a backup or something similar and the device
    >> disconnects and connects rapidly, but enough to stop the backup or disk
    >> defrag or whatever........I have tried re-installing all the usb drivers,
    >> preventing windows disconnecting the device etc etc but nothing stops
    >> this
    >> irritating practice. The 250 Gb HDD is hanging off a 4 port PCI USB 2
    >> Controller card
    >>
    >> Any clues please?
    >>
    >> Peter

USB Devices Windows XP