A 'friend' of mine who is also a computer
serviceman told me to always leave my printer on. He says it is better for
the ink cartridges and they don't dry or block up. Has anyone heard of this?
I usually leave my printer off and maybe only print once or twice a week.
The printer is a Lexmark 3200

--
Chris

On Sat, 29 May 2004 08:54:39 +1200, "andre259" <cft53@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> A 'friend' of mine who is also a computer
>serviceman told me to always leave my printer on. He says it is better for
>the ink cartridges and they don't dry or block up. Has anyone heard of this?
>I usually leave my printer off and maybe only print once or twice a week.
>The printer is a Lexmark 3200

Thats kinda silly as the print head is parked in the same position as
if it was powered off. I would see no benefit staying powered on all
the time as It will not self clean or do anything on its own unless
its being used anyway.

That is pretty much like saying a tv is better off being left on when
you are sleeping... I see no practial use for it myself. Perhaps there
are some other type of printers that benefit from staying static.

Basic self cleaning cycles are run usually when powered on and turned
off. If nothing else, turning the unit on and off once a day would be
more beneficial than leaving it on and not touching it.

If im not thinking correctly on this, someone will reply properly...

As long as the print head is properly parked, there is no problem to turn
the printer off. Infact, I would leave it off when not in use.

--

Jerry G.
=====

andre259 wrote:
> A 'friend' of mine who is also a computer
> serviceman told me to always leave my printer on. He says it is better for
> the ink cartridges and they don't dry or block up. Has anyone heard of this?
> I usually leave my printer off and maybe only print once or twice a week.
> The printer is a Lexmark 3200

Actually, the Lexmark printers do a periodic maintenance routine every 4
to 6 hours. The carrier is moved to the waste ink collection area and
a small amount of ink is "spit" to help keep the nozzles clear. The
carrier is then returned to maintenance and capped. This may sound like
a waste of valueable ink but the amount involved in one cycle is about
enough to make this period >.< The timing varies from model to model.
Even if you average one page a week I suggest leaving the machine
powered on. If you tune the thing off and let the nozzles dry you will
waste a thousand times more ink running the nozzle clean routines.

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

It depends on the printer brand. Most inkjet printers go into a sleep mode,
which is tantamount to being powered down, when not used for a while. I
don't know about the Lexmark, but some inkjet printers do indeed do a
calibration/cleaning sysle periodically when left on, particularly some
older Epsons. The tradeoff is the wasted ink caused by these cycles, vice
the possibility of a clogged nozzle. If you don't trust your freind, I
would check the owner's manual, and if nothing is mentioned about it, turn
it off.

Don

On Sat, 29 May 2004 05:39:02 GMT, bh2008 <bh2008@insightbb.com> wrote:

>Actually, the Lexmark printers do a periodic maintenance routine every 4
> to 6 hours.

Ive owned lexmark for a long long time and I in fact left mine powered
on but never noticed an automatic cleaning cycle at all. I guess it
would depend on the model but certainly not all Lexmarks do a periodic
maintenance.

It would be best to check the owners manual or write tech support to
verify this.