wireless network questions & problems

I am attempting to set up a wireless network in my home and am having issues.
I have a linksys router linked to my desktop and a wireless card in my
laptop. I am able to connect to the internet on both computers, but I can't
get them to communicate with each other. On my laptop when I go to Network
places and click on "view workgroup computers" nothing is there and it tells
me I don't have permission to access the network. On my desktop when I view
workgroup computers it shows both of them there but it says that my laptop is
unaccessible - I may not have permission to access it. Also the wireless
connection is very temperamental on my laptop. If I try to make it WEP secure
it won't work, if I turn off my Windows internal connection firewall it won't
work. I have a separate internet security program for both computers and I
would just like to go with those. The network still works on my desktop if I
turn off the Windows firewall. I have gone through the network wizard a
million times and I don't know what I could be missing. Both computers have
Windows XP. Thanks for any help.
Cathy

www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

Carey

"cathya35" <cathya35@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am attempting to set up a wireless network in my home and am having
>issues.
> I have a linksys router linked to my desktop and a wireless card in my
> laptop. I am able to connect to the internet on both computers, but I
> can't
> get them to communicate with each other. On my laptop when I go to Network
> places and click on "view workgroup computers" nothing is there and it
> tells
> me I don't have permission to access the network. On my desktop when I
> view
> workgroup computers it shows both of them there but it says that my laptop
> is
> unaccessible - I may not have permission to access it. Also the wireless
> connection is very temperamental on my laptop. If I try to make it WEP
> secure
> it won't work, if I turn off my Windows internal connection firewall it
> won't
> work. I have a separate internet security program for both computers and I
> would just like to go with those. The network still works on my desktop if
> turn off the Windows firewall. I have gone through the network wizard a
> million times and I don't know what I could be missing. Both computers
> have
> Windows XP. Thanks for any help.
> Cathy

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi
I would suggest reading the following page.
Read first the whole page (I.e. resist the urge to click on any of the
links).
Once you understand the general scope start to investigate the links that
concern your specific setting.
Link to: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).