Using Asus K8V SE deluxe onboard sound

Group,
I'm running an asus K8V Deluxe mobo and have used an Audigy2 sound
card right from the initial build of this machine.

Now I want to scrap the Audigy and just use the built in sound.

My manual indicates I should have Sound Max Icon.

I find nothing about sound max anywhere. What ever install cds came
with the K8V SE have long since departed. And looking on Asus sight,
all I find for download is for Windows 64 bit os.

Can anyone tell me where to get original install software or Recent
replacement etc?

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 14:20:33 GMT, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

>Group,
>I'm running an asus K8V Deluxe mobo and have used an Audigy2 sound
>card right from the initial build of this machine.
>
>Now I want to scrap the Audigy and just use the built in sound.
>
>My manual indicates I should have Sound Max Icon.
>
>I find nothing about sound max anywhere. What ever install cds came
>with the K8V SE have long since departed. And looking on Asus sight,
>all I find for download is for Windows 64 bit os.
>
>Can anyone tell me where to get original install software or Recent
>replacement etc?

SoundMAX Audio Driver version 5.12.01.3663 WHQL driver for Windows
98SE,ME,2000,XP available at:
http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/ad1980/WDM_3663.zip

Apart from installing the drivers, you may have to enable on board sound in the
BIOS.

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 14:20:33 GMT, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> managed to
one finger type the following:

>Group,
>I'm running an asus K8V Deluxe mobo and have used an Audigy2 sound
>card right from the initial build of this machine.
>
>Now I want to scrap the Audigy and just use the built in sound.
>
>My manual indicates I should have Sound Max Icon.
>
>I find nothing about sound max anywhere. What ever install cds came
>with the K8V SE have long since departed. And looking on Asus sight,
>all I find for download is for Windows 64 bit os.
>
>Can anyone tell me where to get original install software or Recent
>replacement etc?

Probably won't find dodo at Asus....need to go to the Chipsets Homepage for the
driver and software.....if its a SoundMax 4 AC-97...here are two to check

http://soundcard.free-driver-download.com/Analog%20Devices/17904/Analog-Devices-SoundMAX-4-XL-AC97-WDM-Driver-5.12.5170-Windows-2000-XP-Server-2003.html

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CARD/OTHER-SOUNDCARDS/Intel-Sound-MAX-40-Ac-97-51201.shtml

"De Oppresso Liber"
From Oppression Liberate

jroc® 7th Special Forces Ft.Bragg N.C 18/Bravo
****only thing easy in life is failure****
*******so get tough*******

Michael Meyers <meyers@shaw-removetoreply-.ca> writes:

>>Can anyone tell me where to get original install software or Recent
>>replacement etc?
>

> SoundMAX Audio Driver version 5.12.01.3663 WHQL driver for Windows
> 98SE,ME,2000,XP available at:
> http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/ad1980/WDM_3663.zip

Thanks for the URL.
Downloaded and installed:
Install shows files being copied to C:\WINDOWS but then an error box
pops up saying `No Driver found - reboot and run this install again'

At first I thought it might be turned off in bios.

> Apart from installing the drivers, you may have to enable on board
> sound in the BIOS.

On investigating:
I see an entree `Onboard AC'97 Audio' and it is enabled.
I also enabled `Instant Music' although I'm pretty sure its not
related.

On reboot and rerun the install I get the same error.
Tried the cycle 3 times but always the same error.
`No Driver found - reboot and run this install again'

Do you know what it is looking for?

jroc <jroc@special-forces.mil> writes:

[...]

> Probably won't find dodo at Asus....need to go to the Chipsets Homepage for the
> driver and software.....if its a SoundMax 4 AC-97...here are two to check

How would I tell which version the mobo came with?

> http://soundcard.free-driver-download.com/Analog%20Devices/17904/Analog-Devices-SoundMAX-4-XL-AC97-WDM-Driver-5.12.5170-Windows-2000-XP-Server-2003.html
>

> http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CARD/OTHER-SOUNDCARDS/Intel-Sound-MAX-40-Ac-97-51201.shtml

I'm trying these now, the last one is a very slow download. So
nothing to report yet. However will it matter that this is not intel mobo?

jroc <jroc@special-forces.mil> writes:

> http://soundcard.free-driver-download.com/Analog%20Devices/17904/Analog-Devices-SoundMAX-4-XL-AC97-WDM-Driver-5.12.5170-Windows-2000-XP-Server-2003.html

I tried the above.. the other is still downloading.
However I get an error partway thru the install the same as with
Michaels suggestion. `No Driver found - reboot and rerun this
install'

So apparently there is something basic missing. I understood the
downloads to be a driver so why is looking for another one?
Maybe the original driver must be in place?

"Harry Putnam" <reader@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> jroc <jroc@special-forces.mil> writes:
>
>> http://soundcard.free-driver-download.com/Analog%20Devices/17904/Analog-Devices-SoundMAX-4-XL-AC97-WDM-Driver-5.12.5170-Windows-2000-XP-Server-2003.html
>
> I tried the above.. the other is still downloading.
> However I get an error partway thru the install the same as with
> Michaels suggestion. `No Driver found - reboot and rerun this
> install'
>
> So apparently there is something basic missing. I understood the
> downloads to be a driver so why is looking for another one?
> Maybe the original driver must be in place?

The first driver that Michael Meyers mentioned is the one I use on my
K8V-SE MB. Its working for me, did you uninstall all the software/drivers
for the audigy2 before enabling and installing the driver for on board
sound.
You could also try loading the latest chipset drivers from VIA
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

Jim M

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 16:42:24 GMT, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

>Michael Meyers <meyers@shaw-removetoreply-.ca> writes:
>
>>>Can anyone tell me where to get original install software or Recent
>>>replacement etc?
>>

>> SoundMAX Audio Driver version 5.12.01.3663 WHQL driver for Windows
>> 98SE,ME,2000,XP available at:
>> http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/ad1980/WDM_3663.zip
>
>Thanks for the URL.
>Downloaded and installed:
>Install shows files being copied to C:\WINDOWS but then an error box
>pops up saying `No Driver found - reboot and run this install again'
>
>At first I thought it might be turned off in bios.
>
>> Apart from installing the drivers, you may have to enable on board
>> sound in the BIOS.
>
>On investigating:
>I see an entree `Onboard AC'97 Audio' and it is enabled.
>I also enabled `Instant Music' although I'm pretty sure its not
>related.
>
>On reboot and rerun the install I get the same error.
>Tried the cycle 3 times but always the same error.
> `No Driver found - reboot and run this install again'
>
>Do you know what it is looking for?

Instant music in the BIOS has nothing to do with using the on board sound.
Did you extract the .zip folder contents and run setup.exe?
Have you removed the Audigy sound card?
If soundmax appears in the add/remove programs list, uninstall and try again.

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 16:42:24 GMT, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> managed to
one finger type the following:

>Michael Meyers <meyers@shaw-removetoreply-.ca> writes:
>
>>>Can anyone tell me where to get original install software or Recent
>>>replacement etc?
>>

>> SoundMAX Audio Driver version 5.12.01.3663 WHQL driver for Windows
>> 98SE,ME,2000,XP available at:
>> http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/ad1980/WDM_3663.zip
>
>Thanks for the URL.
>Downloaded and installed:
>Install shows files being copied to C:\WINDOWS but then an error box
>pops up saying `No Driver found - reboot and run this install again'
>
>At first I thought it might be turned off in bios.
>
>> Apart from installing the drivers, you may have to enable on board
>> sound in the BIOS.
>
>On investigating:
>I see an entree `Onboard AC'97 Audio' and it is enabled.
>I also enabled `Instant Music' although I'm pretty sure its not
>related.
>
>On reboot and rerun the install I get the same error.
>Tried the cycle 3 times but always the same error.
> `No Driver found - reboot and run this install again'
>
>Do you know what it is looking for?

I'm not familiar with your board...but I have a Asus A7V333 with Onboard
Sound...and usually there is a pin to 'enable or disable' the chip...if your
using a PCI Card..its says to disable it (pins 2-3)...check your manual and then
check the to see if it wasn't disabled when the PCI card you had was
installed...should be on enable (pins 1-2).....as for the Bios...there is a
setting for the onboard chip....just put it on 'auto'.....what is the exact
specs of your onboard sound chip...you might have to install the drivers
manually.

"De Oppresso Liber"
From Oppression Liberate

jroc® 7th Special Forces Ft.Bragg N.C 18/Bravo
****only thing easy in life is failure****
*******so get tough*******

[...]

> Did you extract the .zip folder contents and run setup.exe?

Yes, several times thru several reboots as the error message stipulates

> Have you removed the Audigy sound card?

No only disabled it in My computer/hardware and uninstalled its
software via Add/Remove

> If soundmax appears in the add/remove programs list, uninstall and try again.

It doesn't.

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:46:21 GMT, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> managed to
one finger type the following:

>[...]
>
>> Did you extract the .zip folder contents and run setup.exe?
>
>Yes, several times thru several reboots as the error message stipulates
>
>> Have you removed the Audigy sound card?
>
>No only disabled it in My computer/hardware and uninstalled its
>software via Add/Remove
>
>> If soundmax appears in the add/remove programs list, uninstall and try again.
>
>It doesn't.

you have to give the specs of your motherboard..there are 4 different sound
chips....is your cpu a 64bit....what is the chipset name:

SoundMAX AD1980/AD1888 Audio Driver version 5.12.2.5280 for Windows 64bit
XP/2003...???
"De Oppresso Liber"
From Oppression Liberate

jroc® 7th Special Forces Ft.Bragg N.C 18/Bravo
****only thing easy in life is failure****
*******so get tough*******

jroc <jroc@special-forces.mil> writes:

> I'm not familiar with your board...but I have a Asus A7V333 with Onboard
> Sound...and usually there is a pin to 'enable or disable' the chip...if your
> using a PCI Card..its says to disable it (pins 2-3)...check your manual and then

I see no mention of anything to do with pins that is related to
sound. In fact my mobo manual has very little to say about sound
period.

One section titled Multi-audio feature covers sound related stuff. It
assumes I have SoundMax installed.

To quote the introduction of that section:

Multi Audio Feature

The ADI AD19 SoundMax AC'97 audio Codec provides 6 channel audio
capability. Install the SoundMax Audio Driver and Application from
the support CD that came with your motherboard package to active 6
channel audio feature.

> check the to see if it wasn't disabled when the PCI card you had was
> installed...should be on enable (pins 1-2).....as for the Bios...there is a
> setting for the onboard chip....just put it on 'auto'.....

> . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. what is the exact
> specs of your onboard sound chip...you might have to install the drivers
> manually.

I'm not sure how to get this information other than the products write
up provided by Asus:

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket754/k8vse-d/overview.htm

Which says very little about sound. The actual specs just reiterates
the products info:

http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=K8V%20SE%20Deluxe&langs=09

`Audio: ADI AD1980, 6-channel CODEC S/PDIF out interface'

In my manual their is an actual picture of the support cd being run.
It has menu where SoundMax is one of drivers a user can choose.

I'm thinking that the outfit that built my computer never installed it
because I had specified and Audigy2 Sound card.

It seems then that the driver packages you and Michael have posted are
expecting that initial install driver to be there and it isn't.

Does that sound plausable? If so where would one get the original cd
software?

I've written to Asus of coures but do not expect to get much from them
if the reply at all.

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 12:01:54 -0600, "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> managed to
one finger type the following:

>The first driver that Michael Meyers mentioned is the one I use on my
>K8V-SE MB. Its working for me, did you uninstall all the software/drivers
>for the audigy2 before enabling and installing the driver for on board
>sound.
>You could also try loading the latest chipset drivers from VIA
>http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2
>
>Jim M

at the top under MOTHERBOARD...ENTER 'SOCKET 754' from the dropdown..and then
K8V Deluxe and hit 'go' and it will
take you to the page.....
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?Type=All&model=P4PE-X

it will take you to get the following audio drivers for your board
SoundMAX AD1980/AD1888 Audio Driver version 5.12.2.5280 for Windows 64bit
XP/2003.
ALC850 Avance AC'97 Driver V5.10.00.5781 for Windows 64bit XP/2003. 3.58MBs
"De Oppresso Liber"
From Oppression Liberate

jroc® 7th Special Forces Ft.Bragg N.C 18/Bravo
****only thing easy in life is failure****
*******so get tough*******

jroc <jroc@special-forces.mil> writes:

> you have to give the specs of your motherboard..there are 4 different sound
> chips....is your cpu a 64bit...

It is socket 754 on an athlon64 3400+ exact specs are here:

http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=K8V%20SE%20Deluxe&langs=09

> ....what is the chipset name:

VIA K8T800, There is no mention of a `sound chip' at all.

"JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> writes:

> The first driver that Michael Meyers mentioned is the one I use on my
> K8V-SE MB. Its working for me, did you uninstall all the software/drivers
> for the audigy2 before enabling and installing the driver for on board
> sound.

About uninstalling... I've first disabled the Audigy2 in My computer,
then uninstalled the audigy2 software from Add/Remove. I'm not sure
if that would remove all the drivers but I think it is supposed to.

I'm thinking the onboard sound driver was never installed at initial
build because I had specified an audigy2 sound card.

> You could also try loading the latest chipset drivers from VIA
> http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

I'll try that next but I don't want to get in over my head as I
already am to some extent.

"JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> writes:

> You could also try loading the latest chipset drivers from VIA
> http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

Thanks for the URL. When I try that I get a page where user is to
select OS. When I do that (winxp pro sp/2) I get an error page that
says:

Server Error in '/'

jroc <jroc@special-forces.mil> writes:

> at the top under MOTHERBOARD...ENTER 'SOCKET 754' from the dropdown..and then
> K8V Deluxe and hit 'go' and it will
> take you to the page.....
> http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?Type=All&model=P4PE-X
>
> it will take you to get the following audio drivers for your board
> SoundMAX AD1980/AD1888 Audio Driver version 5.12.2.5280 for Windows 64bit
> XP/2003.
> ALC850 Avance AC'97 Driver V5.10.00.5781 for Windows 64bit XP/2003. 3.58MBs

All I can get at that URL now is a `server busy' but as I mentioned in
my first post, because I had been there and seen what you are pointing
out:

> all I find for download is for Windows 64 bit os.

But I'm not running windows xp 64 bit.

jroc <jroc@special-forces.mil> writes:

> it will take you to get the following audio drivers for your board
> SoundMAX AD1980/AD1888 Audio Driver version 5.12.2.5280 for Windows 64bit
> XP/2003.
> ALC850 Avance AC'97 Driver V5.10.00.5781 for Windows 64bit XP/2003. 3.58MBs

For completeness I downloaded and tried this even though I'm running
32 bit windows.

I got this error message:

The audio Driver files do not support your computer hardware
Note: If you uninstalled audio software without restarting your
pc. restart now, then run this setup again.

I did do as directed anyway too.

After uninstalling everthing for the Audigy2 from add/remove, I get
prompts on reboot about new hardware.

One item is Multimedia Audio Controller. That doesn't sound like
something specific to audigy so apparently I'm now lacking some
important drivers that will not install from the packages posted here
in this thread.

Running the hardware wizard, nothing is found for Multimedia audio
Contoller. Where to from here?

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:56:26 GMT, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

>Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:
>
>After uninstalling everthing for the Audigy2 from add/remove, I get
>prompts on reboot about new hardware.
>
>One item is Multimedia Audio Controller. That doesn't sound like
>something specific to audigy so apparently I'm now lacking some
>important drivers that will not install from the packages posted here
>in this thread.
>
>Running the hardware wizard, nothing is found for Multimedia audio
>Contoller. Where to from here?

Is the Audigy card still in its PCI slot? Because if it is, this is causing the
new hardware message on reboot.

Check in Device Manager under Sound, video and game controllers. What is listed
there.

I think you need to physically remove the previous sound card. On reboot,
windows should recognize the on board sound chip and prompt for installation of
drivers for it. As to why the downloaded drivers don't work, I'm at a loss to
explain this. This should install the necessary drivers.

milleron

wrote:

>Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:
>
>After uninstalling everthing for the Audigy2 from add/remove, I get
>prompts on reboot about new hardware.
>
>One item is Multimedia Audio Controller. That doesn't sound like
>something specific to audigy so apparently I'm now lacking some
>important drivers that will not install from the packages posted here
>in this thread.
>
>Running the hardware wizard, nothing is found for Multimedia audio
>Contoller. Where to from here?

Pretty confusing.
I'm jumping in to say that I don't think the problem is a missing
"original" driver. If you bought that mobo new, you'd install the
drivers for the sound chop by running the program you're running now.

I found a thread at Planet AMD 64 that went through the same thing
you're experiencing. The fellow was trying to ditch an Audigy on a
K8V and could't install his onboard driver software because he kept
seeing "Multimedia Audio Controller" in device manager. Here's his
last post"
" PROBLEM SOLVED!!
I had to [physically] take out my soundblaster 128 card from the
motherboard. Than after reboot it founds the driver for Onboardsound
automatically!"

So, actually reach in and yank your PCI sound card out of the machine,
reboot, and try everything again.

Ron

Michael Meyers <meyers@shaw-removetoreply-.ca> writes:

> Is the Audigy card still in its PCI slot? Because if it is, this is causing the
> new hardware message on reboot.

Yes it is. But the hardware messages are all arising from a My
Computer entry of `Other Devices' not sound.

> Check in Device Manager under Sound, video and game controllers. What is listed
> there.

Sound Video and game controllers
ATI WDM Rage Theater video NSP
ATI WDM Specialized MVD Codec
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Device
Media Control Devices
Video Codecs

The things that are bringing up the New Hardware messages are listed
under and entry `Other Devices' and have question marks in front of them.

? Other Devices
? Multimedia Audio Controller
? PCI Input Device
? Video Controller

> I think you need to physically remove the previous sound card. On reboot,
> windows should recognize the on board sound chip and prompt for installation of
> drivers for it.

I had hoped to avoid that as the machine is not at all easy to
access. Maybe I'll have to give up my laziness after all.

> As to why the downloaded drivers don't work, I'm at a loss to
> explain this. This should install the necessary drivers.

I have two other winxp pro machines running here, both have pci
soundcards and the onboard sound (asus P4C800 mobos). I'm able to
access either one as needed by Control Panel/sound/devices.

Why do you think this particular machine will not function that way?

milleron <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> writes:

[...]

> So, actually reach in and yank your PCI sound card out of the machine,
> reboot, and try everything again.

Looking more necessary by the second. I guess I'll have to give up
and tear up my whole setup to get to this bad boy. I have 4 machines
crowed into a tight place so it'll be a real pain to pull the card.

Too bad... sometimes it takes a little more... eh.

milleron <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> writes:

> " PROBLEM SOLVED!!
> I had to [physically] take out my soundblaster 128 card from the
> motherboard. Than after reboot it founds the driver for Onboardsound
> automatically!"

Hehe... I just used google to get to that post by using the string you
posted and I feel just like the little emoticon that guy put at the
end. Pounding the table and weeping...

Michael Meyers <meyers@shaw-removetoreply-.ca> writes:

[...]

> I think you need to physically remove the previous sound card. On reboot,
> windows should recognize the on board sound chip and prompt for installation of
> drivers for it. As to why the downloaded drivers don't work, I'm at a loss to
> explain this. This should install the necessary drivers.

Well Michael, looks like you put your finger on it. And has been
confirmed by other posters in this thread from conversations on
PlanetAMD64 forums. Apparently this is something of a known problem.

Yanked the card.. reboot and an SoundMax icon appears on systray.

2 of three question marked items in device manager also went away but
I still have one
? Other Devices
? Vido Controller

My vid card is Asus Radeon 9800XT 256mb. I'm not having any trouble
with it so I'm ignoring this question mark in device manager.