Range on a pair of Belkin 54G routers in wireless bridge m..

What's the expected range on a pair of Belkin 54G routers in wireless bridge
mode?

I've seen someone mention on at least one web tech support forum that they
were having troubles staying connected 100% of the time, but they then went
on to say that they were trying to bridge 400 feet, from one building to
another building. Can I expect similar results?

What frequencies are used in Belkin's bridge-to-bridge mode? I assume it
may not be standard because Belkin's bridge mode only works with other
Belkin WAP's.

Also can I replace one of the stock omni-directional antennas with a
cantenna to use along the bridge line of sight? If the bridge mode
frequency is different than standard 802.11b's 2.412 GHz or so, I'll need to
know that to calculate my can radius and quarter-wavelength distance, yada
yada yada...

--
bill evans
WHEvansIIINO@SPAMcharter.net

Freeman Dyson: "It's best not to limit our thinking. We can always
air-condition the Earth."

>> What's the expected range on a pair of Belkin 54G routers in
wireless bridge mode? <<

Depends on a number of factors such as antenna type and configuration as
well as materials the signal must pass through.

The generally "posted" range is 100 meters (330 feet) but the real world
normally provides around 100 feet of "acceptable" range if there are no
problems and that is normally "lobed" where the signal is stronger in
certain directions from the transmitter vs others.

The best way to check is to monitor the signal strength as you move
around with a pocketpc or laptop, but you need to also take into
consideration that most signal strength displays have a time delay and
that the strenght will be variable due to the position of the antenna on
the device (card) orientation. You can observe this by finding a spot
with about 50% strength and slowly rotating the device horizontally and
then vertically while monitoring the strength.

>> frequencies <<

Would assume that they would be listed in the specifications. There
could also be other ways to restrict them to Belkin devices... am
clueless on this question.

>> cantenna <<

These are _very_ directional depending on their construction... a good
cantenna can establish and hold a connection with a device multiple
miles away but the reception angle is going to be small... perhaps
single digit or even less degree widths.

My experience with a good cantenna aimed at the middle of a football
field a block away you might have good reception the width of the field,
but then you have to take any material such as the construction of the
seating that might be in the way into consideration as well.

Cabling is also critical... the thin cables attached to external
antennas are normally the max possible length, so it is necessary to
switch to very thick (~1/2") coax for longer runs.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi

Wireless range is heavily depending on envioroment.

If two directional Antennae are used, there is clear line of sight, and the
Antennae are high enough to compensate for the Fresnel zone 400 feet is a
feasible range.

Wireless can be configured to different modes; none of the Mode changes the
technical aspect of the 802.11x. I.e. Frequency Channels etc, stay the same.

See here about Modes: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html

And Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging1.html

If an Antenna is removable it can be replaced with a directional Antenna
(like Cantenna) make sure you get right pigtail since not all Antennae plugs
are the same.

You should take into consideration that 2.4GHz coax cable cause very fast RF
deterioration. I.e. if the Antenna has to be placed in a spot that is about
more than 10' away from the Access Point you need to Install the APs on the
Antennae in the same spot and run CAT5e down to your Network source. All of
this must be adequately protected from the Weather elements, other wise one
lighting storm and ""your are back to the Future"".

Jack (MVP-Networking).

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in message
> >> What's the expected range on a pair of Belkin 54G routers in
> wireless bridge mode? <<
>
> Depends on a number of factors such as antenna type and configuration as
> well as materials the signal must pass through.
>
> The generally "posted" range is 100 meters (330 feet) but the real world
> normally provides around 100 feet of "acceptable" range if there are no
> problems and that is normally "lobed" where the signal is stronger in
> certain directions from the transmitter vs others.
>
> The best way to check is to monitor the signal strength as you move
> around with a pocketpc or laptop, but you need to also take into
> consideration that most signal strength displays have a time delay and
> that the strenght will be variable due to the position of the antenna on
> the device (card) orientation. You can observe this by finding a spot
> with about 50% strength and slowly rotating the device horizontally and
> then vertically while monitoring the strength.
>
> >> frequencies <<
>
> Would assume that they would be listed in the specifications. There
> could also be other ways to restrict them to Belkin devices... am
> clueless on this question.
>
> >> cantenna <<
>
> These are _very_ directional depending on their construction... a good
> cantenna can establish and hold a connection with a device multiple
> miles away but the reception angle is going to be small... perhaps
> single digit or even less degree widths.
>
> My experience with a good cantenna aimed at the middle of a football
> field a block away you might have good reception the width of the field,
> but then you have to take any material such as the construction of the
> seating that might be in the way into consideration as well.
>
> Cabling is also critical... the thin cables attached to external
> antennas are normally the max possible length, so it is necessary to
> switch to very thick (~1/2") coax for longer runs.

>> and the Antennae are high enough to... <<

Interesting side note... high may not be best.

I originally assumed that high would be best and installed the ap on the
third story... range was less than my initial tests on the first floor
had shown.

More tests seemed to indicate that the high location increased the
"slant distance" and reduced the max reception distance on the ground.

Ended up with the AP on the ground floor directly under the highest part
of the house which ultimately provided the best coverage in and outside
of the building.

Beverly Howard

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi Beverly.
Hi Beverly.

A given Pattern of an Antenna emission might behave differently in various
environments.

While your notion of Height might be valid when it comes to installations
that are primarily Indoor.

400feet a part is a different story.

Beside the general Fresnel consideration, 2.4GHz is the Microwave band, it
likes to be absorbed by water molecule. As a reult in longer distance the
closer it is to the ground the more rapidly it declines.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

message news:#u0fPDYCFHA.3592@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> >> and the Antennae are high enough to... <<
>
> Interesting side note... high may not be best.
>
> I originally assumed that high would be best and installed the ap on the
> third story... range was less than my initial tests on the first floor
> had shown.
>
> More tests seemed to indicate that the high location increased the
> "slant distance" and reduced the max reception distance on the ground.
>
> Ended up with the AP on the ground floor directly under the highest part
> of the house which ultimately provided the best coverage in and outside
> of the building.
>
> Beverly Howard

>> absorbed by water molecule. As a reult in longer distance the
closer it is to the ground the more rapidly it declines <<

Ahhh... that explains it... normally, not much water in the Central
Texas soil ;-)

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]