2nd HD doing weird things

Hi,

I just upgraded to XP from 98 and ended up doing a clean
install. Everything works fine until I plug in my 2nd
HD. I have the 2nd HD set to slave and is the first on
the ribbon cable coming from the motherboard(the main HD
being set to master and plugged in at the end of the IDE
cable) When I plug in the 2nd HD and boot up, I get a DOS
screen saying something about a 98 version of Windows and
if I want to start in 1. normal mode, 2. safe mode...
etc. My previous version of windows 98 was installed to
my C:, not this one. This 2nd HD only has a few photos
and home videos on it - no system files.

Does anyone know why it would look on my 2nd HD for the
OS instead of my C: drive that is formatted as a system
drive and which has all of my windows files? (the 2nd HD
is not formatted as a system drive). I only had the C:
plugged in while I did the install of XP so that there
was no confussion as to which drive I wanted to install
to.

Thanks,

Rich
2 answers Last reply
More about weird things

    Double check the jumpers on the back. Make sure the drive on the end of
    the cable is set to Master and the one in the middle is set to Slave.
    It is possible that the slave has boot information on it from the
    Installing XP, but it should work either way.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Rich wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just upgraded to XP from 98 and ended up doing a clean
    > install. Everything works fine until I plug in my 2nd
    > HD. I have the 2nd HD set to slave and is the first on
    > the ribbon cable coming from the motherboard(the main HD
    > being set to master and plugged in at the end of the IDE
    > cable) When I plug in the 2nd HD and boot up, I get a DOS
    > screen saying something about a 98 version of Windows and
    > if I want to start in 1. normal mode, 2. safe mode...
    > etc. My previous version of windows 98 was installed to
    > my C:, not this one. This 2nd HD only has a few photos
    > and home videos on it - no system files.
    >
    > Does anyone know why it would look on my 2nd HD for the
    > OS instead of my C: drive that is formatted as a system
    > drive and which has all of my windows files? (the 2nd HD
    > is not formatted as a system drive). I only had the C:
    > plugged in while I did the install of XP so that there
    > was no confussion as to which drive I wanted to install
    > to.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Rich

    Thanks for your suggestion.

    I did double check the jumpers. That was the first thing
    that came to my mind as well. My 20 Gig C: is set to
    master and my 40 Gig D: is set to slave.

    One thing that was interesting while I was
    troubleshooting my XP install with support was that when
    I got to a DOS screen and I typed in C:> it showed all my
    D: (2nd HD) files and when I switched to my D: drive all
    my C: files showed up. The drive sizes were incorrect as
    well. We couldn't figure it out. We decided to try
    another install and when it got to the part of the
    install where it asked which drive to install to, I saw
    that it had my C: drive back to the normal number of
    files (13 Gig of stuff. And my D: drive was correct as
    well (3 Gig.)but this was post DOS screen. That's when
    the support guy told me to unplug my 2nd HD and do a
    fresh clean install on my C:. My 2nd HD was a slave
    drive on my Windows98 system and because it worked, I
    assumed I didn't need to change anything.

    slave in when
    >Installing XP, but it should work either way.
    >
    >----
    >Nathan McNulty
    >

    >Rich wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I just upgraded to XP from 98 and ended up doing a
    clean
    >> install. Everything works fine until I plug in my 2nd
    >> HD. I have the 2nd HD set to slave and is the first
    on
    >> the ribbon cable coming from the motherboard(the main
    HD
    >> being set to master and plugged in at the end of the
    IDE
    >> cable) When I plug in the 2nd HD and boot up, I get a
    DOS
    >> screen saying something about a 98 version of Windows
    and
    >> if I want to start in 1. normal mode, 2. safe mode...
    >> etc. My previous version of windows 98 was installed
    >> my C:, not this one. This 2nd HD only has a few
    photos
    >> and home videos on it - no system files.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know why it would look on my 2nd HD for
    the
    >> OS instead of my C: drive that is formatted as a
    system
    >> drive and which has all of my windows files? (the 2nd
    HD
    >> is not formatted as a system drive). I only had the
    C:
    >> plugged in while I did the install of XP so that there
    >> was no confussion as to which drive I wanted to
    install
    >> to.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Rich