P4P800E-Deluxe and P4C800E-Deluxe USB port latchup problem.

Does anyone use their built in USB ports with any of these boards without
any problems such as a failure in a USB device? Do you connect usb devices
to the port while the computer is running? Any problems so far? I wondering
if this is a problem that happens on some of these boards but not all of
them? That is if there is a static charge on a usb cable that gets into the
chip on the board it won't burn it out on every board. Or is it just a
matter of being lucky and not getting a big enough static charge to do any
damage?

Jimbo

I use lots of USB stuff on my P4C800-ED some, like an internal usb card
reader remain plugged in, as does a flash drive and others like external
hard drives, mp3 players and other flash drives are plugged in whenever. All
have worked fine
"Jimmy Martin" <jimmy7forever@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone use their built in USB ports with any of these boards without
> any problems such as a failure in a USB device? Do you connect usb devices
> to the port while the computer is running? Any problems so far? I
> wondering if this is a problem that happens on some of these boards but
> not all of them? That is if there is a static charge on a usb cable that
> gets into the chip on the board it won't burn it out on every board. Or is
> it just a matter of being lucky and not getting a big enough static charge
> to do any damage?
>
> Jimbo

howdy, i am having an issue with this motherboard and xp not detecting
any usb devices i plug in to it. i have also tried plugging an external
usb card in to the mboard to no avail. the pc had been built by someone
else who has left the office and i have carried out a full format and
reinstalled xp, updated all drivers etc , gonna order another board
cause i cant seem to find a solution, any ideas??

Jimmy Martin wrote:
> Does anyone use their built in USB ports with any of these boards
> without any problems such as a failure in a USB device? Do you
> connect usb devices to the port while the computer is running? Any
> problems so far? I wondering if this is a problem that happens on
> some of these boards but not all of them? That is if there is a
> static charge on a usb cable that gets into the chip on the board it
> won't burn it out on every board. Or is it just a matter of being
> lucky and not getting a big enough static charge to do any damage?
>
> Jimbo

Hi,

I have an issue with the USB ports on this board.
I have a (shared) HP USB printer, if I unplug the printer then any other
"new" USB devices are not recognised when plugged in, or the driver install
fails. All is OK if I plug the printer back in.
Stranger still, the onboard network card has random disconnection problems
when I unplug the printer.

Clive

"chowda!" <cliverama@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> howdy, i am having an issue with this motherboard and xp not detecting
> any usb devices i plug in to it. i have also tried plugging an external
> usb card in to the mboard to no avail. the pc had been built by someone
> else who has left the office and i have carried out a full format and
> reinstalled xp, updated all drivers etc , gonna order another board
> cause i cant seem to find a solution, any ideas??

Did you check to see if the USB ports are enabled in the bios? Then Windows
XP will install drivers and see anything that's pluged into the port.Or if
you did enable the USB ports then maybe try downloading the latest bios and
flash it. I think it is now version 1007. Create a dos boot disk flash per
instructions on asus website but avoid the asus webupdate method.

"" wrote:
> "chowda!" <cliverama@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > howdy, i am having an issue with this motherboard and xp not
> detecting
> > any usb devices i plug in to it. i have also tried plugging
> an external
> > usb card in to the mboard to no avail. the pc had been built
> by someone
> > else who has left the office and i have carried out a full
> format and
> > reinstalled xp, updated all drivers etc , gonna order
> another board
> > cause i cant seem to find a solution, any ideas??
>
> Did you check to see if the USB ports are enabled in the bios?
> Then Windows
> XP will install drivers and see anything that's pluged into
> the port.Or if
> you did enable the USB ports then maybe try downloading the
> latest bios and
> flash it. I think it is now version 1007. Create a dos boot
> disk flash per
> instructions on asus website but avoid the asus webupdate
> method.
>

> > Jimmy Martin wrote:
> >> Does anyone use their built in USB ports with any of these
> boards without
> >> any problems such as a failure in a USB device? Do you
> connect usb
> >> devices
> >> to the port while the computer is running? Any problems so
> far? I
> >> wondering
> >> if this is a problem that happens on some of these boards
> but not all of
> >> them? That is if there is a static charge on a usb cable
> that gets into
> >> the
> >> chip on the board it won't burn it out on every board. Or
> is it just a
> >> matter of being lucky and not getting a big enough static
> charge to do
> >> any
> >> damage?
> >>
> >> Jimbo

I am having the same problem. I have three identical compuers with
ASUS P4C800E Delux boards. All the usb were fine for about 6 months.
Now all of them have the same "drive not recognized" problem. If i
unplug the power and let the computer sit for a few hours, the problem
seems to go away for a few hours. Very disappointed!

Anyone has any ideas?

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-P4P800E-Deluxe-P4C800E-Deluxe-USB-port-latchup-problem-ftopict58056.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=296066