Device Manager reports 2 CPUs

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

I have a 3-month-old HP Pavilion a450n desktop computer running Windows
XP SP1.

Device Manager reports two CPUs instead of one, like this:

[machine name]
ACPI Multiprocessor PC
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz

Is this a symptom of Intel's "hyperthreading," or is my machine very
confused about its own brain?

Thanks,
- Bob
5 answers Last reply
More about device manager reports cpus

    > I have a 3-month-old HP Pavilion a450n desktop computer running
    Windows
    > XP SP1.
    >
    > Device Manager reports two CPUs instead of one, like this:
    >
    > [machine name]
    > ACPI Multiprocessor PC
    > Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    > Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    > Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    >
    > Is this a symptom of Intel's "hyperthreading," or is my machine very
    > confused about its own brain?

    Its because of Hyperthreading. Task Manager will also display two
    CPUs on the Performance Tab if 'One Graph per CPU' is checked.

    ----
    Papaboojum

    Bob Weissman wrote:

    > I have a 3-month-old HP Pavilion a450n desktop computer running Windows
    > XP SP1.
    >
    > Device Manager reports two CPUs instead of one, like this:
    >
    > [machine name]
    > ACPI Multiprocessor PC
    > Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    > Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    > Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    >
    > Is this a symptom of Intel's "hyperthreading," or is my machine very
    > confused about its own brain?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > - Bob

    I have a DELL Dimension 8300. The manual states that if Hyperthreading
    is enabled in the BIOS, the processor will show up twice in the Device
    Manger.

    Harvey

    Hello

    Setting shown are correcting called hyperthreading by Intel

    Alvin

    Bob Weissman wrote:

    > I have a 3-month-old HP Pavilion a450n desktop computer running Windows
    > XP SP1.
    >
    > Device Manager reports two CPUs instead of one, like this:
    >
    > [machine name]
    > ACPI Multiprocessor PC
    > Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    > Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    > Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    >
    > Is this a symptom of Intel's "hyperthreading," or is my machine very
    > confused about its own brain?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > - Bob

    Seems you have hyperthreading turned on in the BIOS
    as the most likely cause.

    "Bob Weissman" <rlw@rlw.best.vwh.net> wrote in message
    >I have a 3-month-old HP Pavilion a450n desktop computer running Windows
    > XP SP1.
    >
    > Device Manager reports two CPUs instead of one, like this:
    >
    > [machine name]
    > ACPI Multiprocessor PC
    > Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    > Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    > Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    >
    > Is this a symptom of Intel's "hyperthreading," or is my machine very
    > confused about its own brain?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > - Bob

    On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 00:24:09 GMT
    rlw@rlw.best.vwh.net (Bob Weissman) wrote:

    > Is this a symptom of Intel's "hyperthreading," or is my machine very
    > confused about its own brain?

    The former.

    --
    Stefaan
    --

Hardware Device Manager CPUs Intel Windows XP