Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Frustrating Freezing Problem at "Starting Windows" Screen

Tags:
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
January 29, 2011 8:52:42 PM

I've just recently built my system and everything worked out as expected. However, at times when I boot up my computer, or restart my computer, it will freeze or hang at the "Starting Windows" screen. The four colored orbs will fly in and create the Windows logo, the logo 'pulsates' a few times, and then the entire system just locks up.

I am normally good at diagnosing and narrowing down my problems but, due to the intermittent nature of the problem, I just cannot seem to pinpoint what is causing it. I'm pretty sure it's not hardware since everything works fine. I have tried scan disks to detect errors but no errors were detected. I have even tried disabling all start-up services in MSCONFIG but the problem still persists sometimes.

What's more is that it won't freeze if I boot up into Safemode. This lets me know that it's probably a driver loading problem since Safemode loads some drivers and not others. However, I'm not sure which driver is causing the problem.

Here's a bootlog that I've created at startup:

http://www.2shared.com/document/DsuWIVA4/ntbtlog.html

All I know from this log is that the driver after CLASSPNP is for Safemode, so that should be ignored. The rest, I'm not sure so about.

Has anyone ever had this problem? Please tell me. I have been so frustrated with this.

More about : frustrating freezing problem starting windows screen

January 29, 2011 9:53:56 PM

I have a similar problem. It occurs however when windows is already opened and usually just freezes halfway through the starting windows sound. If it doesn't freeze like that, sometimes my network will act like it is loading and searching for the internet, while I can move the mouse I can't open any programs.

Sorry I can't help but I thought I would throw this out there and hopefully someone can help both of us. o_0.
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2011 1:28:58 AM

Start by running Memtest over night.
January 30, 2011 1:46:59 AM

I had this problem with my new ASUS motherboard... after looking around in the BOIS I found out that my motherboard boots to AHCI under SATA mode..... I switched it to IDE and everthing worked great.. From what I understand dvd drives don't work in the AHCI mode so I could not load windows... it would just lock up at the logo.I was also using a drive that already had windows on it for upgrading....... All is well for now.
Score
January 30, 2011 6:37:11 AM

kenn7 said:
I had this problem with my new ASUS motherboard... after looking around in the BOIS I found out that my motherboard boots to AHCI under SATA mode..... I switched it to IDE and everthing worked great.. From what I understand dvd drives don't work in the AHCI mode so I could not load windows... it would just lock up at the logo.I was also using a drive that already had windows on it for upgrading....... All is well for now.

I wish my solution is as simple as yours. My harddrive setting is IDE, the default setting. I still am getting this error, however. I will run Memtest (even though I ran my BIOS' built-in memory test already) and see if I have faulty ram. I will update this thread with the results.
Score
January 30, 2011 10:11:07 PM

Quote:
Make sure your computer is powered down.
Turn your computer on and immediately start pressing F8 on your keyboard repeatedly until you see a black screen with white writing that gives you a list of boot options.
Use the down arrow on your keyboard to select the Last Known Good Configuration (Advanced) option.
Press Enter on your keyboard and cross your fingers.

I've already tried this before, and it doesn't work for me.

Here are some updates on what I did:

I ran MemTest 86. No errors were detected in my ram. =\

I did notice something peculiar. If I press the restart button on my case, then the problem persists. However, if I press the hard shutdown button my case, then the problem goes away at next boot up. Why would this happen?

I just don't understand why a problem like this would appear on a new build with everything else working fine. My specs, if anyone was wondering, is a 460 gtx card, i5 sandy bridge 3.3 cpu, 1tb samsung hdd, liteon 24x cd/dvd, MSI P67a-gd53 mobo, and 2x2gigs of ram from rip jaws. Please help. =(
Score
a b $ Windows 7
January 31, 2011 2:57:39 AM

Not a solution to your problem, but a helpful suggestion:

Go into MSCONFIG under the boot tab and check "OS boot information"

With this enabled you won't see the pulsating Windows logo, but rather script of all items loading during bootup. When you next experience your boot freeze, you may catch what the OS was loading onscreen.
Score
January 31, 2011 7:12:40 AM

rwpritchett said:
Not a solution to your problem, but a helpful suggestion:

Go into MSCONFIG under the boot tab and check "OS boot information"

With this enabled you won't see the pulsating Windows logo, but rather script of all items loading during bootup. When you next experience your boot freeze, you may catch what the OS was loading onscreen.

Yes, I definitely did this after reading about it on some forums. It helps. It turns out that it keeps stalling at CLASSPNP.sys. I kept trying to find out more about it but I really came up with nothing useful. I even tried to rename the file in my Sys folder but that just lead to a BSoD on restart. I had to do a system repair to replace it back.

Now, I know that I said hardware can't be the problem, but upon closer inspection, I realized I did not plug in some wires properly in my setup. I made sure everything was connected properly. This has made my system stable ***SO FAR***. I am hoping that this is the solution, but you never know with this type of problem. I'll post back if the problem makes a return.

So my solution thus far was to check my wiring and connected everything that should be connected from the PSU to the motherboard. Hope this helps anyone.
Score
February 4, 2011 5:39:55 AM

I'd just like to come back and update this thread since there have been a lot of views and if I can help anyone from jumping off a cliff with this issue, I will be very happy.

I have FOUND the fix. It is entirely a hardware issue. After swapping many things out, it turns out that my Samsung Spinpoint F3 harddrive was the culprit. It somehow caused Windows 7 to lockup at the Starting Windows screen probably because it was trying to access a bad sector. This would explain the intermittent nature of the problem. Faulty hardware like a harddrive will work if it accesses good data, but will throw you for a loop if something bad happens. I replaced it with a Western Digital hdd, and it works fine now.

If anyone out there is experiencing this problem, check your hardware! Start with your harddrive. Replace it with one from another computer and see if it works. You could always run to your nearest computer store and buy one to test things out. Check their return policies.

Anyways, I'm glad that I found this problem. My new build is truly flawless now that this problem has been resolved.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 4, 2011 11:21:45 AM

I've had similar symptoms that I tracked down to a bad SATA cable.

Glad you found a solution to your problem. I'm curious, was the Samsung F3 your boot drive or was it a secondary/tertiary drive?
Score
February 5, 2011 4:48:38 AM

Moral of the story......Always check hardware first. Just saw this post and I would have recommended running hardware diagnostics or to run chkdsk. Sorry, could have saved you some time.
Score
February 13, 2011 11:25:29 PM

Best answer selected by HelpingHands.
Score
April 26, 2012 7:58:48 AM

¡ Hi !

I have the same problem in a Samsung R510 Laptop.

When it is cold, it refuses to start. If I boot into safemode, the laptop freezes at "classpnp.sys". I have to reboot several times until I manage to get into Windows 7.

I have tried with both 64 bit and 32 bit versions of Windows 7, with the same result.

Once I manage to boot normally (after 4 or 5 times), there is no problem if i restart the system.

I have tried to perform a "chkdsk /r" at start up, but no errors are detected (the same if I go into "repair computer" at the second or third re-start)

Any ideas?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
April 26, 2012 9:12:20 AM

joeman99 said:
¡ Hi !

I have the same problem in a Samsung R510 Laptop.

When it is cold, it refuses to start. If I boot into safemode, the laptop freezes at "classpnp.sys". I have to reboot several times until I manage to get into Windows 7.

I have tried with both 64 bit and 32 bit versions of Windows 7, with the same result.

Once I manage to boot normally (after 4 or 5 times), there is no problem if i restart the system.

I have tried to perform a "chkdsk /r" at start up, but no errors are detected (the same if I go into "repair computer" at the second or third re-start)

Any ideas?

Hi there,

Open a new question thread on your issue. This one is solved.

Score
a b $ Windows 7
April 26, 2012 9:12:29 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!