Add Network Printer

Windows XP SP2 - On both machines

I've added a new printer to machine B and have successfully shared it on
that machine.

On Machine A I try to add a network printer. (we're connected with a
router).
I get a popup window asking for username and password... which I don't need
or want, but have no choice but to enter a username and password... with
Remember password checked. I get "Access Denied".

Prior, I have been able to connect to Machine C's printer, Machine C was
running Windows 98.
7 answers Last reply
More about network printer

    Did you run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers? Instead of just
    sharing the printer, use the Network Setup Wizard to share it ;)

    To find this click Start-Control Panel-Network Connections-Top Left (Set
    up a home or office network) or something similar to that.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Earl Partridge wrote:
    > Windows XP SP2 - On both machines
    >
    > I've added a new printer to machine B and have successfully shared it on
    > that machine.
    >
    > On Machine A I try to add a network printer. (we're connected with a
    > router).
    > I get a popup window asking for username and password... which I don't need
    > or want, but have no choice but to enter a username and password... with
    > Remember password checked. I get "Access Denied".
    >
    > Prior, I have been able to connect to Machine C's printer, Machine C was
    > running Windows 98.

    I've had a printer on Machine A and Machine C shared previously,
    and I could access each printer from either A, B or C. I have had files
    shared between all 3 machines previously. Anyway, I ran the Network
    Setup Wizard again on each machine and still get the Unable To Access.
    Earl

    "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Did you run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers? Instead of just
    > sharing the printer, use the Network Setup Wizard to share it ;)
    >
    > To find this click Start-Control Panel-Network Connections-Top Left (Set
    > up a home or office network) or something similar to that.
    >
    > ----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >

    > Earl Partridge wrote:
    >> Windows XP SP2 - On both machines
    >>
    >> I've added a new printer to machine B and have successfully shared it on
    >> that machine.
    >>
    >> On Machine A I try to add a network printer. (we're connected with a
    >> router).
    >> I get a popup window asking for username and password... which I don't
    >> need
    >> or want, but have no choice but to enter a username and password... with
    >> Remember password checked. I get "Access Denied".
    >>
    >> Prior, I have been able to connect to Machine C's printer, Machine C was
    >> running Windows 98.

    Firewall? Windows Firewall may need to be changed or whatever firewall
    software you are using such as Sygate.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Earl Partridge wrote:
    > I've had a printer on Machine A and Machine C shared previously,
    > and I could access each printer from either A, B or C. I have had files
    > shared between all 3 machines previously. Anyway, I ran the Network
    > Setup Wizard again on each machine and still get the Unable To Access.
    > Earl
    >

    > "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Did you run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers? Instead of just
    >>sharing the printer, use the Network Setup Wizard to share it ;)
    >>
    >>To find this click Start-Control Panel-Network Connections-Top Left (Set
    >>up a home or office network) or something similar to that.
    >>
    >>----
    >>Nathan McNulty
    >>

    >>Earl Partridge wrote:
    >>
    >>>Windows XP SP2 - On both machines
    >>>
    >>>I've added a new printer to machine B and have successfully shared it on
    >>>that machine.
    >>>
    >>>On Machine A I try to add a network printer. (we're connected with a
    >>>router).
    >>>I get a popup window asking for username and password... which I don't
    >>>need
    >>>or want, but have no choice but to enter a username and password... with
    >>>Remember password checked. I get "Access Denied".
    >>>
    >>>Prior, I have been able to connect to Machine C's printer, Machine C was
    >>>running Windows 98.

    I was beginning to wonder if SP2 might have set security to block, and
    re-booting Machine B I get a Windows Security Alert, indicating that
    PDP RPC Server, with publisher: DeviceGuys - and asking if I want to
    Unblock.

    My router is a Netgear. Could this popup alert be related to Netgear
    or Windows security?

    > Firewall? Windows Firewall may need to be changed or whatever firewall
    > software you are using such as Sygate.
    >
    > ----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >

    > Earl Partridge wrote:
    >> I've had a printer on Machine A and Machine C shared previously,
    >> and I could access each printer from either A, B or C. I have had files
    >> shared between all 3 machines previously. Anyway, I ran the Network
    >> Setup Wizard again on each machine and still get the Unable To Access.
    >> Earl
    >>

    >> "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Did you run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers? Instead of just
    >>>sharing the printer, use the Network Setup Wizard to share it ;)
    >>>
    >>>To find this click Start-Control Panel-Network Connections-Top Left (Set
    >>>up a home or office network) or something similar to that.
    >>>
    >>>----
    >>>Nathan McNulty

    I just checked Windows Firewall on Machine B and it is ON, but the
    exceptions does show File & Printer sharing.
    Earl

    "Earl Partridge" <earlpNG@pearnet.com> wrote in message
    >I was beginning to wonder if SP2 might have set security to block, and
    > re-booting Machine B I get a Windows Security Alert, indicating that
    > PDP RPC Server, with publisher: DeviceGuys - and asking if I want to
    > Unblock.
    >
    > My router is a Netgear. Could this popup alert be related to Netgear
    > or Windows security?
    >
    > Earl
    >
    > "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> Firewall? Windows Firewall may need to be changed or whatever firewall
    >> software you are using such as Sygate.
    >>
    >> ----
    >> Nathan McNulty
    >>

    >> Earl Partridge wrote:
    >>> I've had a printer on Machine A and Machine C shared previously,
    >>> and I could access each printer from either A, B or C. I have had files
    >>> shared between all 3 machines previously. Anyway, I ran the Network
    >>> Setup Wizard again on each machine and still get the Unable To Access.
    >>> Earl
    >>>

    >>> "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message

    Then I turned Windows Firewall Off. Still can't access.

    >I just checked Windows Firewall on Machine B and it is ON, but the
    > exceptions does show File & Printer sharing.
    > Earl
    >
    > "Earl Partridge" <earlpNG@pearnet.com> wrote in message
    >>I was beginning to wonder if SP2 might have set security to block, and
    >> re-booting Machine B I get a Windows Security Alert, indicating that
    >> PDP RPC Server, with publisher: DeviceGuys - and asking if I want to
    >> Unblock.
    >>
    >> My router is a Netgear. Could this popup alert be related to Netgear
    >> or Windows security?
    >>
    >> Earl
    >>
    >> "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> Firewall? Windows Firewall may need to be changed or whatever firewall
    >>> software you are using such as Sygate.
    >>>
    >>> ----
    >>> Nathan McNulty

    "Earl Partridge" <earlpNG@pearnet.com> wrote:

    >Then I turned Windows Firewall Off. Still can't access.
    >Earl

    A long shot - add the user name as a User on the machine hosting the printer and
    use the same password.
    -steve

Network Printer Printers Windows XP