Add Network Printer

September 7, 2004 10:27:49 PM

Windows XP SP2 - On both machines

I've added a new printer to machine B and have successfully shared it on
that machine.

On Machine A I try to add a network printer. (we're connected with a
router).
I get a popup window asking for username and password... which I don't need
or want, but have no choice but to enter a username and password... with
Remember password checked. I get "Access Denied".

Prior, I have been able to connect to Machine C's printer, Machine C was
running Windows 98.

More about : add network printer

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 10:27:50 PM

Did you run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers? Instead of just
sharing the printer, use the Network Setup Wizard to share it ;)

To find this click Start-Control Panel-Network Connections-Top Left (Set
up a home or office network) or something similar to that.

----
Nathan McNulty

Earl Partridge wrote:
> Windows XP SP2 - On both machines
>
> I've added a new printer to machine B and have successfully shared it on
> that machine.
>
> On Machine A I try to add a network printer. (we're connected with a
> router).
> I get a popup window asking for username and password... which I don't need
> or want, but have no choice but to enter a username and password... with
> Remember password checked. I get "Access Denied".
>
> Prior, I have been able to connect to Machine C's printer, Machine C was
> running Windows 98.

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 11:11:35 PM

I've had a printer on Machine A and Machine C shared previously,
and I could access each printer from either A, B or C. I have had files
shared between all 3 machines previously. Anyway, I ran the Network
Setup Wizard again on each machine and still get the Unable To Access.
Earl

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> Did you run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers? Instead of just
> sharing the printer, use the Network Setup Wizard to share it ;)
>
> To find this click Start-Control Panel-Network Connections-Top Left (Set
> up a home or office network) or something similar to that.
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> Earl Partridge wrote:
>> Windows XP SP2 - On both machines
>>
>> I've added a new printer to machine B and have successfully shared it on
>> that machine.
>>
>> On Machine A I try to add a network printer. (we're connected with a
>> router).
>> I get a popup window asking for username and password... which I don't
>> need
>> or want, but have no choice but to enter a username and password... with
>> Remember password checked. I get "Access Denied".
>>
>> Prior, I have been able to connect to Machine C's printer, Machine C was
>> running Windows 98.

September 7, 2004 11:11:36 PM

Firewall? Windows Firewall may need to be changed or whatever firewall
software you are using such as Sygate.

----
Nathan McNulty

Earl Partridge wrote:
> I've had a printer on Machine A and Machine C shared previously,
> and I could access each printer from either A, B or C. I have had files
> shared between all 3 machines previously. Anyway, I ran the Network
> Setup Wizard again on each machine and still get the Unable To Access.
> Earl
>

> "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
>
>>Did you run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers? Instead of just
>>sharing the printer, use the Network Setup Wizard to share it ;)
>>
>>To find this click Start-Control Panel-Network Connections-Top Left (Set
>>up a home or office network) or something similar to that.
>>
>>----
>>Nathan McNulty
>>

>>Earl Partridge wrote:
>>
>>>Windows XP SP2 - On both machines
>>>
>>>I've added a new printer to machine B and have successfully shared it on
>>>that machine.
>>>
>>>On Machine A I try to add a network printer. (we're connected with a
>>>router).
>>>I get a popup window asking for username and password... which I don't
>>>need
>>>or want, but have no choice but to enter a username and password... with
>>>Remember password checked. I get "Access Denied".
>>>
>>>Prior, I have been able to connect to Machine C's printer, Machine C was
>>>running Windows 98.

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 11:27:31 PM

I was beginning to wonder if SP2 might have set security to block, and
re-booting Machine B I get a Windows Security Alert, indicating that
PDP RPC Server, with publisher: DeviceGuys - and asking if I want to
Unblock.

My router is a Netgear. Could this popup alert be related to Netgear
or Windows security?

> Firewall? Windows Firewall may need to be changed or whatever firewall
> software you are using such as Sygate.
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> Earl Partridge wrote:
>> I've had a printer on Machine A and Machine C shared previously,
>> and I could access each printer from either A, B or C. I have had files
>> shared between all 3 machines previously. Anyway, I ran the Network
>> Setup Wizard again on each machine and still get the Unable To Access.
>> Earl
>>

>> "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Did you run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers? Instead of just
>>>sharing the printer, use the Network Setup Wizard to share it ;)
>>>
>>>To find this click Start-Control Panel-Network Connections-Top Left (Set
>>>up a home or office network) or something similar to that.
>>>
>>>----
>>>Nathan McNulty

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 11:32:41 PM

I just checked Windows Firewall on Machine B and it is ON, but the
exceptions does show File & Printer sharing.
Earl

"Earl Partridge" <earlpNG@pearnet.com> wrote in message
news:D Yn%c.9348$Vl5.3188@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>I was beginning to wonder if SP2 might have set security to block, and
> re-booting Machine B I get a Windows Security Alert, indicating that
> PDP RPC Server, with publisher: DeviceGuys - and asking if I want to
> Unblock.
>
> My router is a Netgear. Could this popup alert be related to Netgear
> or Windows security?
>
> Earl
>
> "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Firewall? Windows Firewall may need to be changed or whatever firewall
>> software you are using such as Sygate.
>>
>> ----
>> Nathan McNulty
>>

>> Earl Partridge wrote:
>>> I've had a printer on Machine A and Machine C shared previously,
>>> and I could access each printer from either A, B or C. I have had files
>>> shared between all 3 machines previously. Anyway, I ran the Network
>>> Setup Wizard again on each machine and still get the Unable To Access.
>>> Earl
>>>

>>> "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 11:45:25 PM

Then I turned Windows Firewall Off. Still can't access.

>I just checked Windows Firewall on Machine B and it is ON, but the
> exceptions does show File & Printer sharing.
> Earl
>
> "Earl Partridge" <earlpNG@pearnet.com> wrote in message
> news:D Yn%c.9348$Vl5.3188@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>>I was beginning to wonder if SP2 might have set security to block, and
>> re-booting Machine B I get a Windows Security Alert, indicating that
>> PDP RPC Server, with publisher: DeviceGuys - and asking if I want to
>> Unblock.
>>
>> My router is a Netgear. Could this popup alert be related to Netgear
>> or Windows security?
>>
>> Earl
>>
>> "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> Firewall? Windows Firewall may need to be changed or whatever firewall
>>> software you are using such as Sygate.
>>>
>>> ----
>>> Nathan McNulty

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 11:45:26 PM

"Earl Partridge" <earlpNG@pearnet.com> wrote:

>Then I turned Windows Firewall Off. Still can't access.
>Earl

A long shot - add the user name as a User on the machine hosting the printer and
use the same password.
-steve
!