New Antec P 180 case

Hi
Anyone see or have the new Antec P 180 case?
What colors does it come in?
It looks like it is only silver and black.
Thanks
Ken'
8 answers Last reply
More about antec case

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:36:48 -0400, "Ken'" <xyz@Mailinator.com> wrote:

    >Hi
    >Anyone see or have the new Antec P 180 case?
    >What colors does it come in?
    >It looks like it is only silver and black.
    >Thanks
    >Ken'

    I finished building mine a couple of days ago. It's a two-tone, case,
    as you can tell from the photos -- basically silver with black
    accents. The front door is silver, but when the front door is opened,
    it exposes the totally-black front of the case. You'd want to order
    black optical and floppy drives.
    The top is black plastic.
    Its predecessor, the P160, was totally aluminum but not the quietest
    case (aluminum ones never are). The P180, to enhance its potential as
    a "quiet PC," uses side panels that are plastic sandwiched between two
    plates of aluminum. The interior is 0.8mm steel. This makes for one
    quiet computer, but it makes the case weigh 31 pounds which is more
    than twice as much as the P160. No matter, give me "quiet" over
    "light" any day. To my way of thinking, it's one of the most
    attractive cases available. I honestly don't think it has any design
    flaws. Antec seems to have thought of everything on this one. You
    could pay more, but I don't think you can do better.

    That said, Quiet PC Review ( www.spcr.com ) promises a special-edition
    all-black version with the SPCR logo on it. I don't think there's any
    word on when that might be available, though. The case has been quite
    hard to find until very recently, so expect them to be in short
    supply. It will be difficult enough getting the silver one, let alone
    an SPCR black one.
    Ron

    I was looking at one the other day in the store ... very nice .. almost as
    big as the SOHO case I have. The only drawback I could see was that it was
    really heavy ... not necessarily a bad thing, but it is built well and is
    heavy, not for LAN parties or just taking over to a friends.
    I just bought a SLK3000B case otherwise I think I might have gotten one.

    "milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:36:48 -0400, "Ken'" <xyz@Mailinator.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>Anyone see or have the new Antec P 180 case?
    >>What colors does it come in?
    >>It looks like it is only silver and black.
    >>Thanks
    >>Ken'
    >>
    > I finished building mine a couple of days ago. It's a two-tone, case,
    > as you can tell from the photos -- basically silver with black
    > accents. The front door is silver, but when the front door is opened,
    > it exposes the totally-black front of the case. You'd want to order
    > black optical and floppy drives.
    > The top is black plastic.
    > Its predecessor, the P160, was totally aluminum but not the quietest
    > case (aluminum ones never are). The P180, to enhance its potential as
    > a "quiet PC," uses side panels that are plastic sandwiched between two
    > plates of aluminum. The interior is 0.8mm steel. This makes for one
    > quiet computer, but it makes the case weigh 31 pounds which is more
    > than twice as much as the P160. No matter, give me "quiet" over
    > "light" any day. To my way of thinking, it's one of the most
    > attractive cases available. I honestly don't think it has any design
    > flaws. Antec seems to have thought of everything on this one. You
    > could pay more, but I don't think you can do better.
    >
    > That said, Quiet PC Review ( www.spcr.com ) promises a special-edition
    > all-black version with the SPCR logo on it. I don't think there's any
    > word on when that might be available, though. The case has been quite
    > hard to find until very recently, so expect them to be in short
    > supply. It will be difficult enough getting the silver one, let alone
    > an SPCR black one.
    > Ron

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:38:35 GMT, milleron
    <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote:

    >On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:36:48 -0400, "Ken'" <xyz@Mailinator.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>Anyone see or have the new Antec P 180 case?
    >>What colors does it come in?
    >>It looks like it is only silver and black.
    >>Thanks
    >>Ken'
    >>
    >I finished building mine a couple of days ago. It's a two-tone, case,
    >as you can tell from the photos -- basically silver with black
    >accents. The front door is silver, but when the front door is opened,
    >it exposes the totally-black front of the case. You'd want to order
    >black optical and floppy drives.
    >The top is black plastic.
    >Its predecessor, the P160, was totally aluminum but not the quietest
    >case (aluminum ones never are). The P180, to enhance its potential as
    >a "quiet PC," uses side panels that are plastic sandwiched between two
    >plates of aluminum. The interior is 0.8mm steel. This makes for one
    >quiet computer, but it makes the case weigh 31 pounds which is more
    >than twice as much as the P160. No matter, give me "quiet" over
    >"light" any day. To my way of thinking, it's one of the most
    >attractive cases available. I honestly don't think it has any design
    >flaws. Antec seems to have thought of everything on this one. You
    >could pay more, but I don't think you can do better.
    >
    >That said, Quiet PC Review ( www.spcr.com ) promises a special-edition
    >all-black version with the SPCR logo on it. I don't think there's any
    >word on when that might be available, though. The case has been quite
    >hard to find until very recently, so expect them to be in short
    >supply. It will be difficult enough getting the silver one, let alone
    >an SPCR black one.
    >Ron

    Oops -- meant Silent PC Review, not "Quiet PC Review." I got the URL
    all fubared, too. It's www.silentpcreview.com . Sorry
    Ron

    > On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:38:35 GMT, milleron
    > <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:36:48 -0400, "Ken'" <xyz@Mailinator.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi
    >>>Anyone see or have the new Antec P 180 case?
    >>>What colors does it come in?
    >>>It looks like it is only silver and black.
    >>>Thanks
    >>>Ken'
    >>>
    >>I finished building mine a couple of days ago. It's a two-tone, case,
    >>as you can tell from the photos -- basically silver with black
    >>accents. The front door is silver, but when the front door is opened,
    >>it exposes the totally-black front of the case. You'd want to order
    >>black optical and floppy drives.
    >>The top is black plastic.
    >>Its predecessor, the P160, was totally aluminum but not the quietest
    >>case (aluminum ones never are). The P180, to enhance its potential as
    >>a "quiet PC," uses side panels that are plastic sandwiched between two
    >>plates of aluminum. The interior is 0.8mm steel. This makes for one
    >>quiet computer, but it makes the case weigh 31 pounds which is more
    >>than twice as much as the P160. No matter, give me "quiet" over
    >>"light" any day. To my way of thinking, it's one of the most
    >>attractive cases available. I honestly don't think it has any design
    >>flaws. Antec seems to have thought of everything on this one. You
    >>could pay more, but I don't think you can do better.
    >>
    >>That said, Quiet PC Review ( www.spcr.com ) promises a special-edition
    >>all-black version with the SPCR logo on it. I don't think there's any
    >>word on when that might be available, though. The case has been quite
    >>hard to find until very recently, so expect them to be in short
    >>supply. It will be difficult enough getting the silver one, let alone
    >>an SPCR black one.
    >>Ron
    >
    > Oops -- meant Silent PC Review, not "Quiet PC Review." I got the URL
    > all fubared, too. It's www.silentpcreview.com . Sorry
    > Ron

    Ron
    The one review I read complained that the fit of the bay covers was bad and
    fell off easily.
    Do you concur?
    Ken'

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:28:58 -0700, "Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote:

    >I was looking at one the other day in the store ... very nice .. almost as
    >big as the SOHO case I have. The only drawback I could see was that it was
    >really heavy ... not necessarily a bad thing, but it is built well and is
    >heavy, not for LAN parties or just taking over to a friends.
    >I just bought a SLK3000B case otherwise I think I might have gotten one.

    Exactly right. The P180's built for quiet operation, not for
    portability. It's proving to be very difficult to design a quiet case
    that's also light.

    >"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:36:48 -0400, "Ken'" <xyz@Mailinator.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi
    >>>Anyone see or have the new Antec P 180 case?
    >>>What colors does it come in?
    >>>It looks like it is only silver and black.
    >>>Thanks
    >>>Ken'
    >>>
    >> I finished building mine a couple of days ago. It's a two-tone, case,
    >> as you can tell from the photos -- basically silver with black
    >> accents. The front door is silver, but when the front door is opened,
    >> it exposes the totally-black front of the case. You'd want to order
    >> black optical and floppy drives.
    >> The top is black plastic.
    >> Its predecessor, the P160, was totally aluminum but not the quietest
    >> case (aluminum ones never are). The P180, to enhance its potential as
    >> a "quiet PC," uses side panels that are plastic sandwiched between two
    >> plates of aluminum. The interior is 0.8mm steel. This makes for one
    >> quiet computer, but it makes the case weigh 31 pounds which is more
    >> than twice as much as the P160. No matter, give me "quiet" over
    >> "light" any day. To my way of thinking, it's one of the most
    >> attractive cases available. I honestly don't think it has any design
    >> flaws. Antec seems to have thought of everything on this one. You
    >> could pay more, but I don't think you can do better.
    >>
    >> That said, Quiet PC Review ( www.spcr.com ) promises a special-edition
    >> all-black version with the SPCR logo on it. I don't think there's any
    >> word on when that might be available, though. The case has been quite
    >> hard to find until very recently, so expect them to be in short
    >> supply. It will be difficult enough getting the silver one, let alone
    >> an SPCR black one.
    >> Ron

    Ron

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 00:05:43 -0400, "Ken'" <xyz@Mailinator.com> wrote:

    >"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:38:35 GMT, milleron
    >> <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote:

    >>>I finished building mine a couple of days ago. It's a two-tone, case,
    >>>as you can tell from the photos -- basically silver with black
    >>>accents. The front door is silver, but when the front door is opened,
    >>>it exposes the totally-black front of the case. You'd want to order
    >>>black optical and floppy drives.
    >>>The top is black plastic.
    >>>Its predecessor, the P160, was totally aluminum but not the quietest
    >>>case (aluminum ones never are). The P180, to enhance its potential as
    >>>a "quiet PC," uses side panels that are plastic sandwiched between two
    >>>plates of aluminum. The interior is 0.8mm steel. This makes for one
    >>>quiet computer, but it makes the case weigh 31 pounds which is more
    >>>than twice as much as the P160. No matter, give me "quiet" over
    >>>"light" any day. To my way of thinking, it's one of the most
    >>>attractive cases available. I honestly don't think it has any design
    >>>flaws. Antec seems to have thought of everything on this one. You
    >>>could pay more, but I don't think you can do better.
    >>>
    >>>That said, Quiet PC Review ( www.spcr.com ) promises a special-edition
    >>>all-black version with the SPCR logo on it. I don't think there's any
    >>>word on when that might be available, though. The case has been quite
    >>>hard to find until very recently, so expect them to be in short
    >>>supply. It will be difficult enough getting the silver one, let alone
    >>>an SPCR black one.
    >>>Ron
    >>
    >> Oops -- meant Silent PC Review, not "Quiet PC Review." I got the URL
    >> all fubared, too. It's www.silentpcreview.com . Sorry
    >> Ron
    >

    >Ron
    >The one review I read complained that the fit of the bay covers was bad and
    >fell off easily.
    >Do you concur?
    >Ken'

    No, they certainly don't fall off. In fact, they're a little
    difficult to get out, but they're not attached solidly. For example,
    if you pry out the one third from the top, the two bay covers above it
    are likely to slide right down into that space. NOW, that doesn't
    present any problem in and of itself. HOWEVER, the reviewers are
    concerned that bezels that fit like that might be free to RATTLE. I
    don't notice that, but the only noise that's above what I'd call a
    whisper is heard when the optical drives spin up during boot. Perhaps
    part of that noise has to do with these covers. I don't worry about
    it, though because it's momentary, and I don't use optical drives very
    often. If the plastic bezels did cause noise problems, it would be
    easy enough to tape them in place internally so they didn't rattle.
    That said, even if this problem is real, it is so minor as to be
    almost trivial. When a reviewer has to mention something like this in
    order to list the compulsory "cons," at the end of his article, he's
    fishing.
    For example, if you're familiar with Silent PC Review, you can imagine
    how very highly they regard this case if they chose it for a
    special-edition issue with their logo on it.

    Ron

    >snip
    >>Ron
    >>The one review I read complained that the fit of the bay covers was bad
    >>and
    >>fell off easily.
    >>Do you concur?
    >>Ken'
    >>
    > No, they certainly don't fall off. In fact, they're a little
    > difficult to get out, but they're not attached solidly. For example,
    > if you pry out the one third from the top, the two bay covers above it
    > are likely to slide right down into that space. NOW, that doesn't
    > present any problem in and of itself. HOWEVER, the reviewers are
    > concerned that bezels that fit like that might be free to RATTLE. I
    > don't notice that, but the only noise that's above what I'd call a
    > whisper is heard when the optical drives spin up during boot. Perhaps
    > part of that noise has to do with these covers. I don't worry about
    > it, though because it's momentary, and I don't use optical drives very
    > often. If the plastic bezels did cause noise problems, it would be
    > easy enough to tape them in place internally so they didn't rattle.
    > That said, even if this problem is real, it is so minor as to be
    > almost trivial. When a reviewer has to mention something like this in
    > order to list the compulsory "cons," at the end of his article, he's
    > fishing.
    > For example, if you're familiar with Silent PC Review, you can imagine
    > how very highly they regard this case if they chose it for a
    > special-edition issue with their logo on it.
    >

    > Ron

    Ron
    Thanks for the info, I really like the case now that I know the front of it
    with the door open is black. That is about the only part that is visible
    when it would be in my desk.
    The only concern that I have is the size of it. I think I would be hard
    pressed to fit it into my desk.
    One more question if you don't mind. The size as mentioned in the review is
    21.3 inches high.
    Is this including the rubber feet and the little hump on the top, back where
    the fan vent is?
    Thanks again
    Ken'

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:04:35 -0400, "Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> wrote:

    >>snip
    >>>Ron
    >>>The one review I read complained that the fit of the bay covers was bad
    >>>and
    >>>fell off easily.
    >>>Do you concur?
    >>>Ken'
    >>>
    >> No, they certainly don't fall off. In fact, they're a little
    >> difficult to get out, but they're not attached solidly. For example,
    >> if you pry out the one third from the top, the two bay covers above it
    >> are likely to slide right down into that space. NOW, that doesn't
    >> present any problem in and of itself. HOWEVER, the reviewers are
    >> concerned that bezels that fit like that might be free to RATTLE. I
    >> don't notice that, but the only noise that's above what I'd call a
    >> whisper is heard when the optical drives spin up during boot. Perhaps
    >> part of that noise has to do with these covers. I don't worry about
    >> it, though because it's momentary, and I don't use optical drives very
    >> often. If the plastic bezels did cause noise problems, it would be
    >> easy enough to tape them in place internally so they didn't rattle.
    >> That said, even if this problem is real, it is so minor as to be
    >> almost trivial. When a reviewer has to mention something like this in
    >> order to list the compulsory "cons," at the end of his article, he's
    >> fishing.
    >> For example, if you're familiar with Silent PC Review, you can imagine
    >> how very highly they regard this case if they chose it for a
    >> special-edition issue with their logo on it.
    >>

    >> Ron
    >
    >Ron
    >Thanks for the info, I really like the case now that I know the front of it
    >with the door open is black. That is about the only part that is visible
    >when it would be in my desk.
    >The only concern that I have is the size of it. I think I would be hard
    >pressed to fit it into my desk.
    >One more question if you don't mind. The size as mentioned in the review is
    >21.3 inches high.
    >Is this including the rubber feet and the little hump on the top, back where
    >the fan vent is?
    >Thanks again
    >Ken'

    I measure about 21.5" INcluding the "little hump," 20.5" if you don't
    mount it. I honestly don't understand for sure the purpose of the
    "spoiler" (Antec's official name for it). It does deflect part of the
    exhaust air to the rear. It might, therefore, deflect part of the
    noise, but the upper surface is perforated, so it's not likely that it
    deflects much of the noise. Of course, there's precious little noise
    coming out, anyway ;-)

    At any rate, if you'd have room for the case without the spoiler, just
    leave it off.

    Ron

Asus Antec Cases Motherboards