External Drive Not Accessible

I am using XP Home edition, I have bought an external hard drive. In device
manager it is telling me that the device is working properly and also shows
me how much space is on the drive. In safely remove hardware it is shown as
e:

I am unable to copy file to the drive as e: is not shown as an option when
I try to copy or move files to it.

Please help as I am running out of storage space on my internal hard drive!

Right click on My Computer, click Manage, click Disk Management. Is the
drive partitioned, formatted, and assigned a drive letter? If yes to
all, go to the files you want to copy, highlight them, right click on
them, click copy, then go My Computer, open the external drive, right
click and paste.

I say assign it a drive letter because even though you said E:, that may
be something else too. Just double check ;)

----
Nathan McNulty