My D Drive (CD/RW) has gone from 'My Computer'. Power is there but it won't
read. Device Manager shows the drive with a yellow exclamation mark.

Properties says 'Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware.
The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)'. I have tried uninstalling
and re-installing, even changing the CD-RW but still nogo.

Microsoft Error 39 states 'Reasons for this error include a driver that is
not present; a binary file that is corrupt; a file I/O problem, or a driver
that references an entry point in another binary file that could not be
loaded.'

What next ???

You right clicked on it, uninstalled, then rebooted? Have you tried this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

----
Nathan McNulty

Wislon wrote:
> My D Drive (CD/RW) has gone from 'My Computer'. Power is there but it won't
> read. Device Manager shows the drive with a yellow exclamation mark.
>
> Properties says 'Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware.
> The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)'. I have tried uninstalling
> and re-installing, even changing the CD-RW but still nogo.
>
> Microsoft Error 39 states 'Reasons for this error include a driver that is
> not present; a binary file that is corrupt; a file I/O problem, or a driver
> that references an entry point in another binary file that could not be
> loaded.'
>
> What next ???

Thanks Nathan,

Crossed all my fingers, altered the registry as per the link below and got
my drive back. Not sure what caused the problem as I hadn't reloaded XP and I
added SP2 after the problem occurred. Now got 2 CD-RW's. I'll know where to
come next time.

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> You right clicked on it, uninstalled, then rebooted? Have you tried this:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> Wislon wrote:
> > My D Drive (CD/RW) has gone from 'My Computer'. Power is there but it won't
> > read. Device Manager shows the drive with a yellow exclamation mark.
> >
> > Properties says 'Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware.
> > The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)'. I have tried uninstalling
> > and re-installing, even changing the CD-RW but still nogo.
> >
> > Microsoft Error 39 states 'Reasons for this error include a driver that is
> > not present; a binary file that is corrupt; a file I/O problem, or a driver
> > that references an entry point in another binary file that could not be
> > loaded.'
> >
> > What next ???

Glad to hear we got it fixed :)

----
Nathan McNulty

Wislon wrote:
> Thanks Nathan,
>
> Crossed all my fingers, altered the registry as per the link below and got
> my drive back. Not sure what caused the problem as I hadn't reloaded XP and I
> added SP2 after the problem occurred. Now got 2 CD-RW's. I'll know where to
> come next time.
>
> "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
>

>>You right clicked on it, uninstalled, then rebooted? Have you tried this:
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553
>>
>>----
>>Nathan McNulty
>>

>>Wislon wrote:
>>
>>>My D Drive (CD/RW) has gone from 'My Computer'. Power is there but it won't
>>>read. Device Manager shows the drive with a yellow exclamation mark.
>>>
>>>Properties says 'Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware.
>>>The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)'. I have tried uninstalling
>>>and re-installing, even changing the CD-RW but still nogo.
>>>
>>>Microsoft Error 39 states 'Reasons for this error include a driver that is
>>>not present; a binary file that is corrupt; a file I/O problem, or a driver
>>>that references an entry point in another binary file that could not be
>>>loaded.'
>>>
>>>What next ???

Is it recognized during boot up? I.e., very early in the boot process, you
should be given the option to press a key [usually Del or F1] to enter BIOS
setup. Check to see if the CDRW is recognized.

If it isn't recognized, you can trying disconnecting, reconnecting the power
and data cables. You could also try replacing the data cable itself [I've
had at least one of them fail]. If none of these fix the problem, the
drive is probably dead.