USB 2.0 on A7V8X-X

Hi there,

Whenever I turn on my USB 2.0 device, Windows XP SP2 reports that the device
is connected to a non HI-SPEED port 'this device can work faster'. This
occurs whichever port at the back
of the machine I plug the device into.

I'm running the latest VIA 4in1 drivers. This does seem to be a problem as
Asus' website forum has questions similar to this, but with no answer.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

- Mark.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On 6/28/2005 5:06 PM Mark Buckland spoke:
> Hi there,
>
> Whenever I turn on my USB 2.0 device, Windows XP SP2 reports that the device
> is connected to a non HI-SPEED port 'this device can work faster'. This
> occurs whichever port at the back
> of the machine I plug the device into.
>
> I'm running the latest VIA 4in1 drivers. This does seem to be a problem as
> Asus' website forum has questions similar to this, but with no answer.
>
> Anyone got any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Mark.

I had the same problem but SP2 fixed it for me. :)

No idea, sorry.

Stevem

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2004

"Mark Buckland" <mynameinthisformat@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> Whenever I turn on my USB 2.0 device, Windows XP SP2 reports that the
> device
> is connected to a non HI-SPEED port 'this device can work faster'. This
> occurs whichever port at the back
> of the machine I plug the device into.
>
> I'm running the latest VIA 4in1 drivers. This does seem to be a problem as
> Asus' website forum has questions similar to this, but with no answer.
>
> Anyone got any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Mark.

Mark,
I don't know your motherboard, but check your BIOS settings. Is USB set to
Fullspeed or Highspeed (or whatever variation it uses)? USB 1.1 offered
'slow' (2Mbs?) or 'fullspeed' (12Mbps); USB 2 offers 'slow' (2Mbps, but not
necessarily available), 'fullspeed' (12 Mbps) and 'highspeed' (480 Mbps).
It's confusing, yes, but 'highspeed' is 40x faster than 'fullspeed'!
Steve.

"stevem" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message

> "Mark Buckland" <mynameinthisformat@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Whenever I turn on my USB 2.0 device, Windows XP SP2 reports that the
>> device
>> is connected to a non HI-SPEED port 'this device can work faster'. This
>> occurs whichever port at the back
>> of the machine I plug the device into.
>>
>> I'm running the latest VIA 4in1 drivers. This does seem to be a problem
>> as Asus' website forum has questions similar to this, but with no answer.
>>
>> Anyone got any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> - Mark.
>>
> Mark,
> I don't know your motherboard, but check your BIOS settings. Is USB set to
> Fullspeed or Highspeed (or whatever variation it uses)? USB 1.1 offered
> 'slow' (2Mbs?) or 'fullspeed' (12Mbps); USB 2 offers 'slow' (2Mbps, but
> not necessarily available), 'fullspeed' (12 Mbps) and 'highspeed' (480
> Mbps). It's confusing, yes, but 'highspeed' is 40x faster than
> 'fullspeed'!
> Steve.
Hi Steve,

Unfortunately the only USB settings my BIOS has is Disabled/1.1/1.1+2.0. Its
set to the latter :-(

- Mark.

Paul

Splendid

In article <d9u0g7$dhn$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>, "Mark
Buckland" <mynameinthisformat@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "stevem" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Mark Buckland" <mynameinthisformat@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> Whenever I turn on my USB 2.0 device, Windows XP SP2 reports that the
> >> device
> >> is connected to a non HI-SPEED port 'this device can work faster'. This
> >> occurs whichever port at the back
> >> of the machine I plug the device into.
> >>
> >> I'm running the latest VIA 4in1 drivers. This does seem to be a problem
> >> as Asus' website forum has questions similar to this, but with no answer.
> >>
> >> Anyone got any ideas?
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> - Mark.
> >>
> > Mark,
> > I don't know your motherboard, but check your BIOS settings. Is USB set to
> > Fullspeed or Highspeed (or whatever variation it uses)? USB 1.1 offered
> > 'slow' (2Mbs?) or 'fullspeed' (12Mbps); USB 2 offers 'slow' (2Mbps, but
> > not necessarily available), 'fullspeed' (12 Mbps) and 'highspeed' (480
> > Mbps). It's confusing, yes, but 'highspeed' is 40x faster than
> > 'fullspeed'!
> > Steve.
> Hi Steve,
>
> Unfortunately the only USB settings my BIOS has is Disabled/1.1/1.1+2.0. Its
> set to the latter :-(
>
> - Mark.

Have you tried deleting USB entries in Device Manager ?
Windows should redetect the hardware if you do that.
There is a recipe here:

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup%20Device%20Manager%20Safe%20Mode.htm

Paul