What is the best ASUS MB for the new dual core 4800+ AMD c..

What is the best ASUS MB for the new dual core 4800+ AMD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=19-103-544
cpu with AGP support ?

Thanks,
Lynn
7 answers Last reply
More about what asus dual core 4800

    > What is the best ASUS MB for the new dual core 4800+ AMD
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=19-103-544
    > cpu with AGP support ?

    BTW, I am thinking about buying this motherboard:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131510

    Thanks,
    Lynn

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:27:35 -0500, "Lynn McGuire" <nospam@nospam.com>
    wrote:

    >What is the best ASUS MB for the new dual core 4800+ AMD
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=19-103-544
    >cpu with AGP support ?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Lynn

    I think all the Asus socket-939 motherboards have BIOS releases that
    make them compatible with the X2 processors. HOWEVER, you obviously
    have to have that BIOS version loaded before you install the CPU. I'm
    guessing that Newegg will tell you explicitly which BIOS is on the
    shipping version of the mobo you want. If they sell you a board
    that's not compatible with the CPU they sell you, they're begging for
    an RMA, and they don't want that.

    Ron

    > I think all the Asus socket-939 motherboards have BIOS releases that
    > make them compatible with the X2 processors. HOWEVER, you obviously
    > have to have that BIOS version loaded before you install the CPU. I'm

    Are you sure about that ?

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:15:20 -0500, "Lynn McGuire" <nospam@nospam.com>
    wrote:

    >> I think all the Asus socket-939 motherboards have BIOS releases that
    >> make them compatible with the X2 processors. HOWEVER, you obviously
    >> have to have that BIOS version loaded before you install the CPU. I'm
    >
    >Are you sure about that ?

    Not positive, and it's really difficult to confirm the answer for you
    because of the sluggishness of the Asus Web site. However, if you can
    go here: http://support.asus.com/default.aspx?SLanguage=en-us , and
    note that under the "Support" menu, the first choice is "CPU," that
    takes you to this page
    http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us,
    but sometimes you can't get anywhere just entering the last URL, at
    least from my location. If you get that far, you can select the CPU
    from a dropdown list and then see all the Asus motherboards that are
    compatible with it as well as the BIOS version for each which added
    the X2 compatibility. If you have trouble with this, maybe you can
    get the info you need at a time of day when the server's not being
    slammed.
    Here's what I copied just now, however:

    For Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4200+ (Socket939), the following
    motherboards are compatible

    A8N-E: ALL board revisions and all BIOS versions since 1004

    A8N-SLI: ALL . . . BIOS 1008 and after

    A8N-SLI Deluxe: ALL . . . BIOS 1010 and after

    A8N-SLI Premium: ALL . . . BIOS 1005 and after

    A8V: ALL . . . BIOS 0205 and after

    A8V Deluxe: ALL . . . BIOS 1013 and after

    I think that's all of them, isn't it?

    >> guessing that Newegg will tell you explicitly which BIOS is on the
    >> shipping version of the mobo you want. If they sell you a board
    >> that's not compatible with the CPU they sell you, they're begging for
    >> an RMA, and they don't want that.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Lynn

    Ron

    wrote:

    >> I think all the Asus socket-939 motherboards have BIOS releases that
    >> make them compatible with the X2 processors. HOWEVER, you obviously
    >> have to have that BIOS version loaded before you install the CPU. I'm
    >
    >Are you sure about that ?
    >
    >> guessing that Newegg will tell you explicitly which BIOS is on the
    >> shipping version of the mobo you want. If they sell you a board
    >> that's not compatible with the CPU they sell you, they're begging for
    >> an RMA, and they don't want that.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Lynn

    Here's list of all known motherboards that are compatible with the X2
    and their respective BIOS versions that enable X2
    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2457&p=5
    Interestingly, the article says that in general any BIOS that's
    compatible with a Revision E processor (Venice, San Diego, or Toledo),
    should POST with an X2. It might show only one processor, but it
    would allow the BIOS to be flashed to an X2-compatible version without
    having to install an older Winchester-core chip to do it.

    Ron

    I don't know about the 4800+ Dual Core but the Athlon64 3500+ is purring on
    the ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe.
    This system went together well, I have no gripes or complaints.

    Tomshardware ran a test on two systems recently they were both dual cores,
    you might want to check it out.

    tomshardware.com -->
    http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20050531/sli_motherboards-02.html

    regards,

    Ben.

    "Odin" <spam@lessen.com> wrote in message
    >I don't know about the 4800+ Dual Core but the Athlon64 3500+ is purring
    >on the ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe.
    > This system went together well, I have no gripes or complaints.
    >
    > Tomshardware ran a test on two systems recently they were both dual
    > cores, you might want to check it out.
    >
    > tomshardware.com -->
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20050531/sli_motherboards-02.html
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > Ben.
    Key words in the original post 'with AGP support'...

    > "Lynn McGuire" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> What is the best ASUS MB for the new dual core 4800+ AMD
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=19-103-544
    >> cpu with AGP support ?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Lynn
    Any of the S939 boards, _provided_ you can get it supplied with the latest
    BIOS. The A8N-E, is fine, but you need to buy from a supplier who is
    prepared to warrant that the BIOS supports the chip. Unfortunately, it is
    likely to be a couple of months at least before the boards with BIOS's
    'too old' to support the chip have worked through the pipeline. You _may_
    be able to program the latest BIOS wth the emergency recovery proceedure,
    but it is far easier to have the correct BIOS in place...

    Best Wishes

Asus AMD Dual Core Motherboards Product