Ping error message

Hi,

We have a very small network set up, a Netgear DG834M wireless modem/router
to which we have a desktop, a laptop and a network printer connected with
cables and we also connect another laptop wirelessly.

Having problems with communicating with our printer (now resolved) I tried
pinging the various connected devices from the DG834M and when I pinged the
desktop computer I get the following:-

Pinging 192.168.0.4 with 32 bytes of data:

echo reply from 192.168.0.4 : bytes=32 time < 100ms TTL=128
request time out,no response
echo reply from 192.168.0.4 : bytes=32 time < 100ms TTL=128
echo reply from 192.168.0.4 : bytes=32 time < 100ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.4:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1(25 %),
Minimum < 100ms, Maximum = 3000ms, Average = 700ms

What does the lost packet mean? Everyting seems to be working normally and
if I ping connected devices, including the router from the desktop
(192.168.0.4) they all respond and no packets are lost.

I have tried another network cable between the DG834M and the desktop and it
didn't make any difference. Dowe have a potential problem I should be
worried about?

Brendan
(All replies to newsgroup please)
1 answer Last reply
More about ping error message

    A ping is just a small amount of data sent from one machine to another and
    then bounced back to the sender. If a packet is lost, it either didn't make
    it to the machine you are pining or the response didn't make it back.

    In windows, the default ping only sends 4 packets, which is sufficient to
    verify if a machine is up, but little else. 4 packets just isn't
    statistically relevant to determine whether you have a real issue.

    I use with the -n 100 switch in order to send many packets to get a better
    feel for how much I am dropping. also, in wireless, smaller packets tend to
    have a better chance of survival. I often use the -l 1000 switch to send
    larger packets.

    ping /? will give you the exact syntax on how to perform these tasks.

    From my experience, anything over 3% packet loss on a consistent basis is
    worth looking into. At around 15% you have a significant problem. In
    802.11 wireless, you can always expect to lose some packets.

    Cheers,

    --
    Mark Gamache
    Certified Security Solutions

    "Brendan J Cuffe" <brendan@vdfrv.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have a very small network set up, a Netgear DG834M wireless
    > modem/router to which we have a desktop, a laptop and a network printer
    > connected with cables and we also connect another laptop wirelessly.
    >
    > Having problems with communicating with our printer (now resolved) I tried
    > pinging the various connected devices from the DG834M and when I pinged
    > the desktop computer I get the following:-
    >
    > Pinging 192.168.0.4 with 32 bytes of data:
    >
    > echo reply from 192.168.0.4 : bytes=32 time < 100ms TTL=128
    > request time out,no response
    > echo reply from 192.168.0.4 : bytes=32 time < 100ms TTL=128
    > echo reply from 192.168.0.4 : bytes=32 time < 100ms TTL=128
    >
    > Ping statistics for 192.168.0.4:
    > Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1(25 %),
    > Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    > Minimum < 100ms, Maximum = 3000ms, Average = 700ms
    >
    > What does the lost packet mean? Everyting seems to be working normally
    > and if I ping connected devices, including the router from the desktop
    > (192.168.0.4) they all respond and no packets are lost.
    >
    > I have tried another network cable between the DG834M and the desktop and
    > it didn't make any difference. Dowe have a potential problem I should be
    > worried about?
    >
    > Brendan
    > (All replies to newsgroup please)

Error Message Wireless Networking