Noisy chipset fan on K8N4

I've got this board for three weeks now and the small chipset fan is
starting to make a lott of noise. So I'm thinking of buying the Zalman
NB47J to cool it passive. Is this a good solution? Does anyone has any
experience with it?

Paul

Splendid

In article <42c44d05$0$63274$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, "Driekes"
<biker_driekes@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've got this board for three weeks now and the small chipset fan is
> starting to make a lott of noise. So I'm thinking of buying the Zalman
> NB47J to cool it passive. Is this a good solution? Does anyone has any
> experience with it?

Have you tried getting a replacement heatsink/fan from Asus
tech support ? They are providing replacements for some of
these (A8N-SLI?). Your board looks to be using the same
cooling solution as the A8N-SLI.

If I had to choose a third party solution, I'd try the NB32J,
because if a fan is needed with the heatsink, it might be
easier to add to the top of the NB32J, than adding a fan to
the NB47J. The big unknown, is how much heat that chipset
puts out, and a passive cooler is only going to be adequate
up to a certain power level. Using a heatsink that you can
add a fan to later, gives you some options. For example, I
worked on a board with an 865GE Northbridge, and the chassis
for that project did not allow any airflow over the Northbridge
heatsink. Adding a fan to the heatsink caused a huge drop in
temperature (heatsink was hitting 75C until I added a fan).
So, there will be situations where a fan can help, especially
if there is no other source of airflow nearby.

Paul

Bonami

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2005

"" wrote:
> I've got this board for three weeks now and the small chipset
> fan is
> starting to make a lott of noise. So I'm thinking of buying
> the Zalman
> NB47J to cool it passive. Is this a good solution? Does anyone
> has any
> experience with it?

If he has a K8N it’s a MSI board,and if you call them they’ll send ya
a half a dozen like they did me!

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-Noisy-chipset-fan-K8N4-ftopict58243.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=297574