160Gig HDD Recognition

Mike

Splendid

I installed xp on my 160gig hard drive and after adding
service pack 2 it still does not recognize more than 137
gigs. I tried to perform the article 303013, does anyone
have any ideas on what i can do to use all of the space?

Go to disk manger see how your hard drive is set up,if any
open, you can the use space as another drive,if not you
need to reinstall the xp with sp-1 or higher on disk to
get full size of space hope that helps

To make that a little clearer:

Right click on My Computer, click Manage, click Disk Management. You
should see Unallocated Disk Space that you can partition and format as a
second drive. This will make two drives appear in My Computer instead
of just one. If you want just one drive to appear, you should
slipstream Service Pack 2 into your XP CD, and install Windows from that
(delete existing partitions and format NTFS (Quick) during Setup). Here
is a great guide to slipstreaming:
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

----
Nathan McNulty

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 22:05:35 -0700, Mike wrote:

> I installed xp on my 160gig hard drive and after adding
> service pack 2 it still does not recognize more than 137
> gigs. I tried to perform the article 303013, does anyone
> have any ideas on what i can do to use all of the space?

Is your motherboard capable of utilizing a drive of that size? Check the
manual or online specs to find out.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

What you are going to be looking for is 48bit LBA Support. If your
motherboard reports 160 GB, then you are fine, but if it only reports
127 GB, then you will need to do one of three things:

1) Update the BIOS
2) Use an IDE PCI Card
3) Use a Dynamic Drive Overlay

If you need any help with any of those, just post a follow up.

----
Nathan McNulty

"Mike" <mstrowbridge@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I installed xp on my 160gig hard drive and after adding
> service pack 2 it still does not recognize more than 137
> gigs. I tried to perform the article 303013, does anyone
> have any ideas on what i can do to use all of the space?

Use Partition Magic 8.0 to resize partition.
Original WinXP would recognize only 137Gb. SP1 and SP2 lifted that limit,
but won't do all work for you.
PM8.0 is the only way to reclaim unused space.

Does your motherboard support 48-bit? Are you using an 80 wire ribbon cable
to connect the drive to the IDE Controller?
www.coribright.com