Service Pack 2 with PCChips Mainboard

Specs.
PCChips Mainboard M754LMR+
192 MB RAM
Pentium III 733mhz

After upgrading Windows XP SP2 with a newly installed
Windows XP SP1 from the internet, my system clashes/ hangs
after less than 5 minutes of usage. The clash showed on
screen is a rainbow-like clash screen on the monitor. i've
tried reinstalling in 3 times by formating the system but
still re-occurs. Why does this happen? If I would
to "stick" to XP service pack 1, Such issues will not
happen. Any chance that windows XP SP2 patch will fix this
problem in the near future?

I haven't heard anything like this yet. I can offer a few suggestions
though. First, check and see if there are any BIOS updates for your
motherboard. Second, try slipstreaming SP2 into your XP CD. Here is a
guide on how to do that:
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

If those two things don't help, please explain this rainbow thing better
:) Are you sure it isn't just the default drivers for your video card?

----
Nathan McNulty

Serphinox wrote:
> Specs.
> PCChips Mainboard M754LMR+
> 192 MB RAM
> Pentium III 733mhz
>
> After upgrading Windows XP SP2 with a newly installed
> Windows XP SP1 from the internet, my system clashes/ hangs
> after less than 5 minutes of usage. The clash showed on
> screen is a rainbow-like clash screen on the monitor. i've
> tried reinstalling in 3 times by formating the system but
> still re-occurs. Why does this happen? If I would
> to "stick" to XP service pack 1, Such issues will not
> happen. Any chance that windows XP SP2 patch will fix this
> problem in the near future?

Hi Nathan,

I just found out this morning that this motherboard is
been discontinued and to my luck the last BIOS firmware
was made 2002/06/22. Hope this firmware will do the job.

But before i proceed, I have one query. Why slipstreaming?
what's the difference between slipstreaming and installing
it after a clean installation? Just curious.

As for the rainbow color crash screen, im sure its not a
driver problem as i have the drivers that supports Windows
XP though im not sure if it also supports XP SP2.
A better description of the rainbow-like blue screen is of
similiarity to a TV program at the end of the night
whereby the TV broadcasting will show 7 - 8 vertical bars
of colors on ur TV. Its almost similar only mines, of
different width and colors. AND the system hangs.

Well, slipstreaming really saves time of downloading the update again,
installing it again, and it also prevents having more complications with
installing SP2 as a patch instead. It will also add support for hard
drives over 137 GB if your XP CD doesn't have a Service Pack
slipstreamed already.

As for the colors. That sounds like either a monitor self test or a
video card memory problem. We can hope a clean install fixes it.

----
Nathan McNulty

Serphinox wrote:
> Hi Nathan,
>
> I just found out this morning that this motherboard is
> been discontinued and to my luck the last BIOS firmware
> was made 2002/06/22. Hope this firmware will do the job.
>
> But before i proceed, I have one query. Why slipstreaming?
> what's the difference between slipstreaming and installing
> it after a clean installation? Just curious.
>
> As for the rainbow color crash screen, im sure its not a
> driver problem as i have the drivers that supports Windows
> XP though im not sure if it also supports XP SP2.
> A better description of the rainbow-like blue screen is of
> similiarity to a TV program at the end of the night
> whereby the TV broadcasting will show 7 - 8 vertical bars
> of colors on ur TV. Its almost similar only mines, of
> different width and colors. AND the system hangs.

I have been battling with this very same issue for a few days, took me
a long time to find the thread below to confirm that I wasn't going
loopy......

Mobo is PCCHIPS M754LMRT+ Ver 3.3 with (now) latest BIOS. CPU is a
Celeron 800. 128Mb RAM, 30Gb hard disk, generic case with 250W power
supply. Took me a while to work out what was going on, but eventually I
got it in from the customer's home and wasted a lot of time on it.....

The system was working fine till I installed XPSP2. It was of course
full of viruses etc due to out of date AV and no updates done....

Once XPSP2 installed, the machine crashed on a regular basis, always
while the display is being redrawn.

When it stops, the screen is a series of vertical bars that is actually
a "slice" (one row of pixels I believe) of what was being drawn on the
screen at the time. The lockup is solid, only the reset button or the
power switch will move it.

After changing - power supply, hard drive, ram, all cables, XP Home CD,
CD drive, monitor, etc I eventually decided it was DEFINITELY video
related. (Note that for each of these tests, I formatted the HDD and
reinstalled XP clean again, took forever!!!

Eventually I added an S3 video card and set the BIOS so PCI video gets
started first (because you cannot disable the onboard video - thanks
Mr Chips...) and presto! it works lovely. XP installs without issue and
it trundles along the way it used to.

If XPSP2 was not essential to being on the web (because of the security
holes it plugs up) one could use the onboard VGA, however such is not
the case, so the customer gets a video card in the PCI slot and we
ignore the onboard vga.

If we were to allocate blame, I spose it goes to PCCHIPS - all their
stuff is pretty dodgy IMHO. I spose there is some updated driver in SP2
that finds a black hole in the BIOS or such.....

Hope this helps another having similar problems....

Maurice

Nathan McNulty wrote:
> Well, slipstreaming really saves time of downloading the update
again,
> installing it again, and it also prevents having more complications
with
> installing SP2 as a patch instead. It will also add support for hard

> drives over 137 GB if your XP CD doesn't have a Service Pack
> slipstreamed already.
>
> As for the colors. That sounds like either a monitor self test or a
> video card memory problem. We can hope a clean install fixes it.
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> Serphinox wrote:
> > Hi Nathan,
> >
> > I just found out this morning that this motherboard is
> > been discontinued and to my luck the last BIOS firmware
> > was made 2002/06/22. Hope this firmware will do the job.
> >
> > But before i proceed, I have one query. Why slipstreaming?
> > what's the difference between slipstreaming and installing
> > it after a clean installation? Just curious.
> >
> > As for the rainbow color crash screen, im sure its not a
> > driver problem as i have the drivers that supports Windows
> > XP though im not sure if it also supports XP SP2.
> > A better description of the rainbow-like blue screen is of
> > similiarity to a TV program at the end of the night
> > whereby the TV broadcasting will show 7 - 8 vertical bars
> > of colors on ur TV. Its almost similar only mines, of
> > different width and colors. AND the system hangs.

so if i may ask, what was the video card that started the grief?

--
EasyFeelings
A+

"When your computer is working good, That's an EasyFeeling"