Removing Registry Keys

Hi all,
Im having a problem cleaning device Keys from my registry.
I installed the device, and software. I have now removed the device,
physically, but im now trying to remove
some of the keys. These were left over after the windows ADD/REMOVE process.
( the device is a saitek game controller)

They are in the LOCAL_MACHINE_HARDWARE\
ConrtolSet001, 002 and Current.

Why would windows be preventing me from removing them, and how can I remove
them.
Is there a way to unlock them ?

Thanks for any help.

Gerry Abbott

"Gerry Abbott" <please@ask.ie> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> Im having a problem cleaning device Keys from my registry.
> I installed the device, and software. I have now removed the device,
> physically, but im now trying to remove
> some of the keys. These were left over after the windows ADD/REMOVE
process.
> ( the device is a saitek game controller)
>

> They are in the LOCAL_MACHINE_HARDWARE\
> ConrtolSet001, 002 and Current.
>
> Why would windows be preventing me from removing them, and how can I
remove
> them.
> Is there a way to unlock them ?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>

> Gerry Abbott

The keys are locked because the Saitek software locked them.
You can unlock them by changing their security settings under
regedt32.exe.

To do this, click Start-Run-type regedit and click OK. Now right click
on the keys that are causing the problem, click Permission, check Full
Control-Allow, click OK. Now you should be able to delete them.

----
Nathan McNulty

Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
> "Gerry Abbott" <please@ask.ie> wrote in message
>
>>Hi all,
>>Im having a problem cleaning device Keys from my registry.
>>I installed the device, and software. I have now removed the device,
>>physically, but im now trying to remove
>>some of the keys. These were left over after the windows ADD/REMOVE
>
> process.
>
>>( the device is a saitek game controller)
>>

>>They are in the LOCAL_MACHINE_HARDWARE\
>> ConrtolSet001, 002 and Current.
>>
>>Why would windows be preventing me from removing them, and how can I
>
> remove
>
>>them.
>>Is there a way to unlock them ?
>>
>>Thanks for any help.
>>

>>Gerry Abbott
>>

> The keys are locked because the Saitek software locked them.
> You can unlock them by changing their security settings under
> regedt32.exe.

I suspect your post contains a typographical error. Instead
of reading "regedit", read "regedt32.exe".

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> To do this, click Start-Run-type regedit and click OK. Now right click
> on the keys that are causing the problem, click Permission, check Full
> Control-Allow, click OK. Now you should be able to delete them.
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
> > "Gerry Abbott" <please@ask.ie> wrote in message
> >
> >>Hi all,
> >>Im having a problem cleaning device Keys from my registry.
> >>I installed the device, and software. I have now removed the device,
> >>physically, but im now trying to remove
> >>some of the keys. These were left over after the windows ADD/REMOVE
> >
> > process.
> >
> >>( the device is a saitek game controller)
> >>

> >>They are in the LOCAL_MACHINE_HARDWARE\
> >> ConrtolSet001, 002 and Current.
> >>
> >>Why would windows be preventing me from removing them, and how can I
> >
> > remove
> >
> >>them.
> >>Is there a way to unlock them ?
> >>
> >>Thanks for any help.
> >>

> >>Gerry Abbott
> >>

> > The keys are locked because the Saitek software locked them.
> > You can unlock them by changing their security settings under
> > regedt32.exe.

Thankks Nathan,

Worked a treat.
Unlocked, then cleaned the device keys.