A8V Deluxe / Athlon 64 X2 Problem -- Can't Flash BIOS

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2005 3:09:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

I have a brand new A8V Deluxe motherboard and a brand new AMD Athlon 64 X2
4800+ Dual Core CPU.

My motherboard shipped with BIOS v1008, so I know I must flash my BIOS
before I do anything else.

I downloaded the latest BIOS (versions 1013 and 1014.006) and am ready to
install it -- but that's were I have a problem -- I find that I cannot flash
my BIOS.

My system halts saying it does not recognize the installed CPU -- before I
can boot to a floppy disk and flash my BIOS to the latest rev...

How can I flash my A8V Deluxe BIOS from v1008 to v1013?

Thanks,
Dale
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2005 3:09:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

If all else fails www.badflash.com

--
ASUS A8V/Athlon FX-55
ATI RADEON X800XT PE

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

Rename the new bios A8v.rom(it should be something like a8v1013.ami),
and copy the renamed new bios (A8v.rom) to a floppy. Then start the
computer with the floppy disk in the drive while pressing alt F2
repeatedly. This will start a bios erase/rewrite program, which upgrades
the bios. I had the same problem and this worked perfectly.

Dale Frameli wrote:
> I have a brand new A8V Deluxe motherboard and a brand new AMD Athlon 64 X2
> 4800+ Dual Core CPU.
>
> My motherboard shipped with BIOS v1008, so I know I must flash my BIOS
> before I do anything else.
>
> I downloaded the latest BIOS (versions 1013 and 1014.006) and am ready to
> install it -- but that's were I have a problem -- I find that I cannot flash
> my BIOS.
>
> My system halts saying it does not recognize the installed CPU -- before I
> can boot to a floppy disk and flash my BIOS to the latest rev...
>
> How can I flash my A8V Deluxe BIOS from v1008 to v1013?
>
> Thanks,
> Dale

a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2005 4:47:25 AM

Dale Frameli wrote:
> I have a brand new A8V Deluxe motherboard and a brand new AMD Athlon 64 X2
> 4800+ Dual Core CPU.
>
> My motherboard shipped with BIOS v1008, so I know I must flash my BIOS
> before I do anything else.
>
> I downloaded the latest BIOS (versions 1013 and 1014.006) and am ready to
> install it -- but that's were I have a problem -- I find that I cannot flash
> my BIOS.
>
> My system halts saying it does not recognize the installed CPU -- before I
> can boot to a floppy disk and flash my BIOS to the latest rev...
>
> How can I flash my A8V Deluxe BIOS from v1008 to v1013?
>
> Thanks,
> Dale

I think the only options in this situation would be to either get an
older CPU that the existing BIOS recognizes to use to flash the BIOS,
and then install the newer CPU, or obtain a BIOS chip that is flashed to
the new version and install it..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
a b V Motherboard

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

I had the same situation. Luckily I still have my Athlon64(winchester) I
reinstalled flash to latest bios then switch to 64x2 and is now working
fine....

Art C.

Robert Hancock wrote:
> Dale Frameli wrote:
>
>> I have a brand new A8V Deluxe motherboard and a brand new AMD Athlon
>> 64 X2
>> 4800+ Dual Core CPU.
>>
>> My motherboard shipped with BIOS v1008, so I know I must flash my BIOS
>> before I do anything else.
>>
>> I downloaded the latest BIOS (versions 1013 and 1014.006) and am
>> ready to
>> install it -- but that's were I have a problem -- I find that I cannot
>> flash
>> my BIOS.
>>
>> My system halts saying it does not recognize the installed CPU --
>> before I
>> can boot to a floppy disk and flash my BIOS to the latest rev...
>>
>> How can I flash my A8V Deluxe BIOS from v1008 to v1013?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dale
>

> I think the only options in this situation would be to either get an
> older CPU that the existing BIOS recognizes to use to flash the BIOS,
> and then install the newer CPU, or obtain a BIOS chip that is flashed to
> the new version and install it..

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2005 4:47:27 AM

"Art C." <artcomm@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I had the same situation. Luckily I still have my Athlon64(winchester) I
>reinstalled flash to latest bios then switch to 64x2 and is now working
>fine....
> Art C.

Maybe you can rent your spare CPU to those who need to flash their bios.
July 3, 2005 1:38:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

If you purchased both the mobo and the CPU off the same vendor at the same
time, take the mobo back and ask them to fix it. IMHO if they are going to
be in the computer business they need to sell compatible products to start
off with. This seems totally reasonable to me.In this country it would be
illegal to do that (IE the motherboard is not fit for the purpose intended -
retailers responsibility).

Otherwise.

Maybe you have someone nearby that could help with a CPU for a few minutes?

"Dale Frameli" <dframeli@DONOTSPAMME.austin.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have a brand new A8V Deluxe motherboard and a brand new AMD Athlon 64 X2
> 4800+ Dual Core CPU.
>
> My motherboard shipped with BIOS v1008, so I know I must flash my BIOS
> before I do anything else.
>
> I downloaded the latest BIOS (versions 1013 and 1014.006) and am ready to
> install it -- but that's were I have a problem -- I find that I cannot
> flash
> my BIOS.
>
> My system halts saying it does not recognize the installed CPU -- before
> can boot to a floppy disk and flash my BIOS to the latest rev...
>
> How can I flash my A8V Deluxe BIOS from v1008 to v1013?
>
> Thanks,
> Dale

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 4, 2005 12:06:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 19:59:36 -0700, John Kostlan
<jkostlan@comcast.net> wrote:

>Rename the new bios A8v.rom(it should be something like a8v1013.ami),
>and copy the renamed new bios (A8v.rom) to a floppy. Then start the
>computer with the floppy disk in the drive while pressing alt F2
>repeatedly. This will start a bios erase/rewrite program, which upgrades
>the bios. I had the same problem and this worked perfectly.

With an X2 in an Asus MB board with a pre-X2 BIOS ??

If yes, thanks greatly for an extremely useful piece of information
for all having purchased an X2, finding that their new MB does not
come with the latest X2 compatible bios, and not having a
single-core processor handy.

John Lewis
- Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 10, 2005 7:35:41 PM

"" wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 19:59:36 -0700, John Kostlan
> <jkostlan@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >Rename the new bios A8v.rom(it should be something like
> a8v1013.ami),
> >and copy the renamed new bios (A8v.rom) to a floppy. Then
> start the
> >computer with the floppy disk in the drive while pressing
> alt F2
> >repeatedly. This will start a bios erase/rewrite program,
> which upgrades
> >the bios. I had the same problem and this worked perfectly.
> >

> With an X2 in an Asus MB board with a pre-X2 BIOS ??
>
> If yes, thanks greatly for an extremely useful piece of
> information
> for all having purchased an X2, finding that their new MB
> does not
> come with the latest X2 compatible bios, and not having a
> single-core processor handy.
>

> John Lewis
> - Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.

I have problem booting a new A8V Deluxe and A64 3200+ (Venice). All
the other components are from my old system. WD 120GB HD on primary
IDE, 1 DVD-RW, 1 CD-RW on the secondary IDE. The memory is two 512MB
KingMax DDR-400 (MPXC22D-388T3).

When booting it for the first time, CPU fans spins, HD spins, but no
video signal coming out. The voice says "The CPU fails due to
overclocking." I reset the CMOS, and took the battery for a few
minutes. Still no boot, I only used one RAM and kept it at B1 as
suggested. Now, no voice alert and still no boot.

I am thinking about updating the FLASH. The problem is I don’t have a
working floppy drive. And, also there is no video signal out, how can
I view anything to upgrade? Will CD-ROM work?

Thanks,

wfz

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-A8V-Deluxe-Athlon-64...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=297068
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 11, 2005 12:40:55 AM

"waterfall_zen" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
> "" wrote:
> > On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 19:59:36 -0700, John Kostlan
> > <jkostlan@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > >Rename the new bios A8v.rom(it should be something like
> > a8v1013.ami),
> > >and copy the renamed new bios (A8v.rom) to a floppy. Then
> > start the
> > >computer with the floppy disk in the drive while pressing
> > alt F2
> > >repeatedly. This will start a bios erase/rewrite program,
> > which upgrades
> > >the bios. I had the same problem and this worked perfectly.
> > >

> > With an X2 in an Asus MB board with a pre-X2 BIOS ??
> >
> > If yes, thanks greatly for an extremely useful piece of
> > information
> > for all having purchased an X2, finding that their new MB
> > does not
> > come with the latest X2 compatible bios, and not having a
> > single-core processor handy.
> >

> > John Lewis
> > - Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.
>
> I have problem booting a new A8V Deluxe and A64 3200+ (Venice). All
> the other components are from my old system. WD 120GB HD on primary
> IDE, 1 DVD-RW, 1 CD-RW on the secondary IDE. The memory is two 512MB
> KingMax DDR-400 (MPXC22D-388T3).
>
> When booting it for the first time, CPU fans spins, HD spins, but no
> video signal coming out. The voice says "The CPU fails due to
> overclocking." I reset the CMOS, and took the battery for a few
> minutes. Still no boot, I only used one RAM and kept it at B1 as
> suggested. Now, no voice alert and still no boot.
>
> I am thinking about updating the FLASH. The problem is I don’t have a
> working floppy drive. And, also there is no video signal out, how can
> I view anything to upgrade? Will CD-ROM work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> wfz
You need to beg, steal or borrow a floppy. Given what they cost now,
having a spare one on the shelf for exactly this situation, is worth
considering
The emergency recovery proceedure is exactly that. A method of getting a
working BIOS into a machine which has nothing much else working. As such,
it is written to be as small as possible. It requires no video to work,
but looks at a floppy (no complex things like CD emulations are present),
and will if it finds a suitable .ROM file, perform a programming pass on
the BIOS.
Basically do the proceedure, then wait a couple of minutes (you want no
risk that the flash has not finished). It has existed on many machines
using the AMI BIOS, and it is one of the best features of such machines.

Best Wishes
!