samsung or brother

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm trying to decide between a samsung and a brother laser printer.
(high end 1200 dot)
Does anyone have any strong feelings about which is better in terms
of implementing the emulating software (PCL and PS) and maintenance
and reliability in general?
The Samsung seems to be slightly better in terms of driver flexibility
but it's hard to tell from just reading about them on their respective
sites.
Also, which one slows down more at 1200. Samsung mentions this while
Brother doesn't.
Currently I'm using an OptraR which goes half speed at 1200 so I
suppose anything better than that would be an improvement.

Rob

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <3epgb09l9s4ap44tht110t40n9hlaaen9u@4ax.com>,
tele*deletethis*manr@hotmail.com says...
> I'm trying to decide between a samsung and a brother laser printer.
> (high end 1200 dot)
> Does anyone have any strong feelings about which is better in terms
> of implementing the emulating software (PCL and PS) and maintenance
> and reliability in general?
> The Samsung seems to be slightly better in terms of driver flexibility
> but it's hard to tell from just reading about them on their respective
> sites.
> Also, which one slows down more at 1200. Samsung mentions this while
> Brother doesn't.
> Currently I'm using an OptraR which goes half speed at 1200 so I
> suppose anything better than that would be an improvement.
>
> Rob

I'm also in the market for a new laser printer of similar quality. My
HP1100 keeps breaking down.

I did a search for reviews on these and the Samsung print quality wasn't
as good/reliable as one would hope. Check out ZDnet and PCMag for
reviews. You can also check epinions but those are, of course, just one
person's experience

I also noticed a great difference in satisfaction with
installation/drivers with Mac users. If you're using a Mac, do your
research on this with some care. I'm not using a Mac so I can't
remember the details of the problems.

I notice you're not considering HP and I wondered why.

Please let me know what you discover.

Louise

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Louise <none@nospam.com> wrote:

>In article <3epgb09l9s4ap44tht110t40n9hlaaen9u@4ax.com>,
>tele*deletethis*manr@hotmail.com says...
>> I'm trying to decide between a samsung and a brother laser printer.
>> (high end 1200 dot)
>> Does anyone have any strong feelings about which is better in terms
>> of implementing the emulating software (PCL and PS) and maintenance
>> and reliability in general?
>> The Samsung seems to be slightly better in terms of driver flexibility
>> but it's hard to tell from just reading about them on their respective
>> sites.
>> Also, which one slows down more at 1200. Samsung mentions this while
>> Brother doesn't.
>> Currently I'm using an OptraR which goes half speed at 1200 so I
>> suppose anything better than that would be an improvement.
>>
>> Rob
>>
>I'm also in the market for a new laser printer of similar quality. My
>HP1100 keeps breaking down.
>
>I did a search for reviews on these and the Samsung print quality wasn't
>as good/reliable as one would hope. Check out ZDnet and PCMag for
>reviews. You can also check epinions but those are, of course, just one
>person's experience
>
>I also noticed a great difference in satisfaction with
>installation/drivers with Mac users. If you're using a Mac, do your
>research on this with some care. I'm not using a Mac so I can't
>remember the details of the problems.
>
>I notice you're not considering HP and I wondered why.
>
>Please let me know what you discover.
>
>Louise

I'm PC so I don't care about Mac concerns.

I'm considering the Samsung ML-2550 or the Brother HL-6050D and
the reason I'm not looking at the more or less equivalent HP 4200 is
because:
1. It doesn't have a USB 2 connection.
2. It doesn't have built-in duplex.
3. It is apparently slow doing mixed text & graphics (which is exactly
what I do most.

HP just seems to be behind the times compared to the other two in
terms of features.

Unfortunately both printers are new and there don't seem to be real
reviews of either but I could be wrong. I'll search some more.

Rob

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <kllib0d75do98ie209jq75ohr3fb0mop3k@4ax.com>,
tele*deletethis*manr@hotmail.com says...
> Louise <none@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <3epgb09l9s4ap44tht110t40n9hlaaen9u@4ax.com>,
> >tele*deletethis*manr@hotmail.com says...
> >> I'm trying to decide between a samsung and a brother laser printer.
> >> (high end 1200 dot)
> >> Does anyone have any strong feelings about which is better in terms
> >> of implementing the emulating software (PCL and PS) and maintenance
> >> and reliability in general?
> >> The Samsung seems to be slightly better in terms of driver flexibility
> >> but it's hard to tell from just reading about them on their respective
> >> sites.
> >> Also, which one slows down more at 1200. Samsung mentions this while
> >> Brother doesn't.
> >> Currently I'm using an OptraR which goes half speed at 1200 so I
> >> suppose anything better than that would be an improvement.
> >>
> >> Rob
> >>
> >I'm also in the market for a new laser printer of similar quality. My
> >HP1100 keeps breaking down.
> >
> >I did a search for reviews on these and the Samsung print quality wasn't
> >as good/reliable as one would hope. Check out ZDnet and PCMag for
> >reviews. You can also check epinions but those are, of course, just one
> >person's experience
> >
> >I also noticed a great difference in satisfaction with
> >installation/drivers with Mac users. If you're using a Mac, do your
> >research on this with some care. I'm not using a Mac so I can't
> >remember the details of the problems.
> >
> >I notice you're not considering HP and I wondered why.
> >
> >Please let me know what you discover.
> >
> >Louise
>
> I'm PC so I don't care about Mac concerns.
>
> I'm considering the Samsung ML-2550 or the Brother HL-6050D and
> the reason I'm not looking at the more or less equivalent HP 4200 is
> because:
> 1. It doesn't have a USB 2 connection.
> 2. It doesn't have built-in duplex.
> 3. It is apparently slow doing mixed text & graphics (which is exactly
> what I do most.
>
> HP just seems to be behind the times compared to the other two in
> terms of features.
I was looking for reviews on the Brother 5140, but also found very
little.

There did seem to be some conerns about paper jamming but not enough
negaive comments to overwhelm.

Louise

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Well, I purchased a Samsung ML-2151N a month or so ago. I like it a lot,
and it' a lot of printer for the money.

But given my experience with Samsung support, the difficulty in getting
upgrade parts and my now deep-seated fear of ever needing to get it fixed I
would not buy another one.

The thing uses a 100-pin SDRAM SIMM, and Samsung managed to take an industry
standard and modify it so only their module works properly. Of course it
costs an exhorbinate amount of money.

And don't get me started on the 1/2 full Toner Cartridge.

-Larry

"Rob" <tele*deletethis*manr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to decide between a samsung and a brother laser printer.
> (high end 1200 dot)
> Does anyone have any strong feelings about which is better in terms
> of implementing the emulating software (PCL and PS) and maintenance
> and reliability in general?
> The Samsung seems to be slightly better in terms of driver flexibility
> but it's hard to tell from just reading about them on their respective
> sites.
> Also, which one slows down more at 1200. Samsung mentions this while
> Brother doesn't.
> Currently I'm using an OptraR which goes half speed at 1200 so I
> suppose anything better than that would be an improvement.
>
> Rob

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'll give you another reason not to get the HP4200.

They went to the "Instant-On" fuser with the Mylar cover on these printers,
and the things are tender as tissue paper. They have NO business being in a
business class printer.

I have one office that has replaced the fuser in their 6 month old printer
twice already, at a cost of several hundred dollars each time, because the
mylar cover tore.

No, you can't just buy the $2 mylar cover. You have to buy the whole fuser.
It's an amazing rip-off.

> Louise <none@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <3epgb09l9s4ap44tht110t40n9hlaaen9u@4ax.com>,
> >tele*deletethis*manr@hotmail.com says...
> >> I'm trying to decide between a samsung and a brother laser printer.
> >> (high end 1200 dot)
> >> Does anyone have any strong feelings about which is better in terms
> >> of implementing the emulating software (PCL and PS) and maintenance
> >> and reliability in general?
> >> The Samsung seems to be slightly better in terms of driver flexibility
> >> but it's hard to tell from just reading about them on their respective
> >> sites.
> >> Also, which one slows down more at 1200. Samsung mentions this while
> >> Brother doesn't.
> >> Currently I'm using an OptraR which goes half speed at 1200 so I
> >> suppose anything better than that would be an improvement.
> >>
> >> Rob
> >>
> >I'm also in the market for a new laser printer of similar quality. My
> >HP1100 keeps breaking down.
> >
> >I did a search for reviews on these and the Samsung print quality wasn't
> >as good/reliable as one would hope. Check out ZDnet and PCMag for
> >reviews. You can also check epinions but those are, of course, just one
> >person's experience
> >
> >I also noticed a great difference in satisfaction with
> >installation/drivers with Mac users. If you're using a Mac, do your
> >research on this with some care. I'm not using a Mac so I can't
> >remember the details of the problems.
> >
> >I notice you're not considering HP and I wondered why.
> >
> >Please let me know what you discover.
> >
> >Louise
>
> I'm PC so I don't care about Mac concerns.
>
> I'm considering the Samsung ML-2550 or the Brother HL-6050D and
> the reason I'm not looking at the more or less equivalent HP 4200 is
> because:
> 1. It doesn't have a USB 2 connection.
> 2. It doesn't have built-in duplex.
> 3. It is apparently slow doing mixed text & graphics (which is exactly
> what I do most.
>
> HP just seems to be behind the times compared to the other two in
> terms of features.
>
> Unfortunately both printers are new and there don't seem to be real
> reviews of either but I could be wrong. I'll search some more.
>
> Rob

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Re the 1/2 full Toner Cart...don't most printers come with a 1/2 full
cartridge? Samsung are up front about it. On the site it clearly says
the starter cartridge is a 5000 pager while the standard one is
10,000.

Larry <none@none.com> wrote:
> I'll give you another reason not to get the HP4200.
>
> They went to the "Instant-On" fuser with the Mylar cover on these printers,
> and the things are tender as tissue paper. They have NO business being in a
> business class printer.
>
> I have one office that has replaced the fuser in their 6 month old printer
> twice already, at a cost of several hundred dollars each time, because the
> mylar cover tore.
>
> No, you can't just buy the $2 mylar cover. You have to buy the whole fuser.
> It's an amazing rip-off.

Is this different from the fuser in the 4000/4050? I've been getting
just slightly less than the rated 200,000 pages out of them.

Rob wrote:
> I'm trying to decide between a samsung and a brother laser printer.
> (high end 1200 dot)
> Does anyone have any strong feelings about which is better in terms
> of implementing the emulating software (PCL and PS) and maintenance
> and reliability in general?
> The Samsung seems to be slightly better in terms of driver flexibility
> but it's hard to tell from just reading about them on their respective
> sites.
> Also, which one slows down more at 1200. Samsung mentions this while
> Brother doesn't.
> Currently I'm using an OptraR which goes half speed at 1200 so I
> suppose anything better than that would be an improvement.
>
> Rob

or Kyocera 1020D ?

Regards
Charles

--

Please remove _removeme_ to reply.
Work: http://www.somis.dundee.ac.uk/

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Charles Christacopoulos <c.k.christacopoulos_removeme_@dundee.ac.uk>
wrote:

>Rob wrote:
>> I'm trying to decide between a samsung and a brother laser printer.
>> (high end 1200 dot)
>> Does anyone have any strong feelings about which is better in terms
>> of implementing the emulating software (PCL and PS) and maintenance
>> and reliability in general?
>> The Samsung seems to be slightly better in terms of driver flexibility
>> but it's hard to tell from just reading about them on their respective
>> sites.
>> Also, which one slows down more at 1200. Samsung mentions this while
>> Brother doesn't.
>> Currently I'm using an OptraR which goes half speed at 1200 so I
>> suppose anything better than that would be an improvement.
>>
>> Rob
>
>or Kyocera 1020D ?
>
>Regards
>Charles

It comes with 16megs of memory (not enough to duplex quickly) and a
250sheet tray. And its "1200" is 1800x600.
The Samsung 2550 has 32megs and a 500 sheet tray and true 1200x1200.

I haven't priced it but it doesn't quite match up so I probably won't
pursue it.

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm not really sure. I just know this issue never has come up on the 4000's
we have around.

-Larry

"Warren Block" <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote in message
> Larry <none@none.com> wrote:
> > I'll give you another reason not to get the HP4200.
> >
> > They went to the "Instant-On" fuser with the Mylar cover on these
printers,
> > and the things are tender as tissue paper. They have NO business being
in a
> > business class printer.
> >
> > I have one office that has replaced the fuser in their 6 month old
printer
> > twice already, at a cost of several hundred dollars each time, because
the
> > mylar cover tore.
> >
> > No, you can't just buy the $2 mylar cover. You have to buy the whole
fuser.
> > It's an amazing rip-off.
>
> Is this different from the fuser in the 4000/4050? I've been getting
> just slightly less than the rated 200,000 pages out of them.
>
> --
> Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Nope. I've never experienced the 1/2 full consumable in my life until
purchasing this printer.

> Re the 1/2 full Toner Cart...don't most printers come with a 1/2 full
> cartridge? Samsung are up front about it. On the site it clearly says
> the starter cartridge is a 5000 pager while the standard one is
> 10,000.
>

> "Larry" <none@none.com> wrote:
>
> >Well, I purchased a Samsung ML-2151N a month or so ago. I like it a lot,
> >and it' a lot of printer for the money.
> >
> >But given my experience with Samsung support, the difficulty in getting
> >upgrade parts and my now deep-seated fear of ever needing to get it fixed
> >would not buy another one.
> >
> >The thing uses a 100-pin SDRAM SIMM, and Samsung managed to take an
industry
> >standard and modify it so only their module works properly. Of course it
> >costs an exhorbinate amount of money.
> >
> >And don't get me started on the 1/2 full Toner Cartridge.
> >
> >-Larry
> >
> >"Rob" <tele*deletethis*manr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I'm trying to decide between a samsung and a brother laser printer.
> >> (high end 1200 dot)
> >> Does anyone have any strong feelings about which is better in terms
> >> of implementing the emulating software (PCL and PS) and maintenance
> >> and reliability in general?
> >> The Samsung seems to be slightly better in terms of driver flexibility
> >> but it's hard to tell from just reading about them on their respective
> >> sites.
> >> Also, which one slows down more at 1200. Samsung mentions this while
> >> Brother doesn't.
> >> Currently I'm using an OptraR which goes half speed at 1200 so I
> >> suppose anything better than that would be an improvement.
> >>
> >> Rob

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Oh, and it's actually 4000/8000.

-Larry

"Rob" <tele*deletethis*manr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Re the 1/2 full Toner Cart...don't most printers come with a 1/2 full
> cartridge? Samsung are up front about it. On the site it clearly says
> the starter cartridge is a 5000 pager while the standard one is
> 10,000.
>

> "Larry" <none@none.com> wrote:
>
> >Well, I purchased a Samsung ML-2151N a month or so ago. I like it a lot,
> >and it' a lot of printer for the money.
> >
> >But given my experience with Samsung support, the difficulty in getting
> >upgrade parts and my now deep-seated fear of ever needing to get it fixed
> >would not buy another one.
> >
> >The thing uses a 100-pin SDRAM SIMM, and Samsung managed to take an
industry
> >standard and modify it so only their module works properly. Of course it
> >costs an exhorbinate amount of money.
> >
> >And don't get me started on the 1/2 full Toner Cartridge.
> >
> >-Larry
> >
> >"Rob" <tele*deletethis*manr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I'm trying to decide between a samsung and a brother laser printer.
> >> (high end 1200 dot)
> >> Does anyone have any strong feelings about which is better in terms
> >> of implementing the emulating software (PCL and PS) and maintenance
> >> and reliability in general?
> >> The Samsung seems to be slightly better in terms of driver flexibility
> >> but it's hard to tell from just reading about them on their respective
> >> sites.
> >> Also, which one slows down more at 1200. Samsung mentions this while
> >> Brother doesn't.
> >> Currently I'm using an OptraR which goes half speed at 1200 so I
> >> suppose anything better than that would be an improvement.
> >>
> >> Rob

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You are correct about 16MB not being enough for duplexing (or for complex
pages for that matter).

The 128MB module I put in my ML-2151N, wonky as it is, improved duplexing
performace to the point where there are now zero delays in duplex printing.

> Charles Christacopoulos <c.k.christacopoulos_removeme_@dundee.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
> >Rob wrote:
> >> I'm trying to decide between a samsung and a brother laser printer.
> >> (high end 1200 dot)
> >> Does anyone have any strong feelings about which is better in terms
> >> of implementing the emulating software (PCL and PS) and maintenance
> >> and reliability in general?
> >> The Samsung seems to be slightly better in terms of driver flexibility
> >> but it's hard to tell from just reading about them on their respective
> >> sites.
> >> Also, which one slows down more at 1200. Samsung mentions this while
> >> Brother doesn't.
> >> Currently I'm using an OptraR which goes half speed at 1200 so I
> >> suppose anything better than that would be an improvement.
> >>
> >> Rob
> >
> >or Kyocera 1020D ?
> >
> >Regards
> >Charles
>
> It comes with 16megs of memory (not enough to duplex quickly) and a
> 250sheet tray. And its "1200" is 1800x600.
> The Samsung 2550 has 32megs and a 500 sheet tray and true 1200x1200.
>
> I haven't priced it but it doesn't quite match up so I probably won't
> pursue it.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

For ML-2550 which is what I'm talking about, the printer specs say:
"Consumable Yield / Durée des consommables 10,000 Sheets @ISO 5%
Coverage , 5,000 Sheets Starter "

And I've looked around a bit. Brother does the same thing...a starter
cartridge 1/2 the size of the regular.

"Larry" <none@none.com> wrote:

>Oh, and it's actually 4000/8000.
>
>-Larry
>
>"Rob" <tele*deletethis*manr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Re the 1/2 full Toner Cart...don't most printers come with a 1/2 full
>> cartridge? Samsung are up front about it. On the site it clearly says
>> the starter cartridge is a 5000 pager while the standard one is
>> 10,000.
>>

>> "Larry" <none@none.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Well, I purchased a Samsung ML-2151N a month or so ago. I like it a lot,
>> >and it' a lot of printer for the money.
>> >
>> >But given my experience with Samsung support, the difficulty in getting
>> >upgrade parts and my now deep-seated fear of ever needing to get it fixed
>> >would not buy another one.
>> >
>> >The thing uses a 100-pin SDRAM SIMM, and Samsung managed to take an
>industry
>> >standard and modify it so only their module works properly. Of course it
>> >costs an exhorbinate amount of money.
>> >
>> >And don't get me started on the 1/2 full Toner Cartridge.
>> >
>> >-Larry
>> >
>> >"Rob" <tele*deletethis*manr@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Actually I got that piece of info from a previous posting of yours. So
thanks for that heads up.

"Larry" <none@none.com> wrote:

>You are correct about 16MB not being enough for duplexing (or for complex
>pages for that matter).
>
>The 128MB module I put in my ML-2151N, wonky as it is, improved duplexing
>performace to the point where there are now zero delays in duplex printing.
>
>-Larry
>
>"Rob" <tele*deletethis*manr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Charles Christacopoulos <c.k.christacopoulos_removeme_@dundee.ac.uk>
>> wrote:

>> >or Kyocera 1020D ?
>> >
>> >Regards
>> >Charles
>>
>> It comes with 16megs of memory (not enough to duplex quickly) and a
>> 250sheet tray. And its "1200" is 1800x600.
>> The Samsung 2550 has 32megs and a 500 sheet tray and true 1200x1200.
>>
>> I haven't priced it but it doesn't quite match up so I probably won't
>> pursue it.

On Mon, 31 May 2004 16:45:18 -0400, Rob
<tele*deletethis*manr@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>or Kyocera 1020D ?
>>
>>Regards
>>Charles
>
>It comes with 16megs of memory (not enough to duplex quickly) and a
>250sheet tray. And its "1200" is 1800x600.
>The Samsung 2550 has 32megs and a 500 sheet tray and true 1200x1200.
>
>I haven't priced it but it doesn't quite match up so I probably won't
>pursue it.

You'll find that the printing costs are much lower with the Kyocera,
and Kyocera's produce good to excellent output.

--

Hecate
Hecate@newsguy.com