HELP: Problems with Mouse using Belkin KVM Switch Under Wi..

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.os.linux.hardware (More info?)

Greetings. This has been a really odd problem.

I'm using a Belkin KVM switch (http://tinyurl.com/3ayms). The switch
works very well except for one problem: since it has a PS/2 mouse port,
I have to use a USB-to-PS/2 adapter to plug in to it.

Windows XP simply will not "see' this setup. It acts as though I have no
mouse. This is true, even when I've tried a large variety of different
mice, and even different connectors. And it's a WinXP problem, because
the other box I am using is Fedora Linux, and it has NO problems.

These are both "home-built" computers.

The video and keyboard have no problem except, when I'm in WinXP, if I
go about ten second or more without using the keyboard, the first
keystroke is "ignored" and causes a system beep. After that initial
keystroke, it's as if the system "woke up" and I have no problem using
the keyboard as long as I continue to type without long pauses.

Now the really weird thing is that my current setup is a Microsoft
cordless keyboard/mouse combo. You'd think with the "weirdness" of
having to connect the transmitter to the input ports on the KVM that it
might not work, but it works just great!

Again, since the mouse works just fine under Linux, it's not that the
mouse connection is the problem. It's strictly a "Windows XP thing."

Does anyone have any insights? Couldn't find a thing on the Belkin
website or doing a Google search.

Thanks in advance for your help.
10 answers Last reply
More about help problems mouse belkin switch
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.os.linux.hardware (More info?)

    On 08/09/2004 A Nengineer wrote:

    > Greetings. This has been a really odd problem.
    >
    > I'm using a Belkin KVM switch (http://tinyurl.com/3ayms). The switch
    > works very well except for one problem: since it has a PS/2 mouse
    > port, I have to use a USB-to-PS/2 adapter to plug in to it.
    >
    > Windows XP simply will not "see' this setup. It acts as though I have
    > no mouse. This is true, even when I've tried a large variety of
    > different mice, and even different connectors. And it's a WinXP
    > problem, because the other box I am using is Fedora Linux, and it has
    > NO problems.
    >
    > These are both "home-built" computers.
    >
    > The video and keyboard have no problem except, when I'm in WinXP, if I
    > go about ten second or more without using the keyboard, the first
    > keystroke is "ignored" and causes a system beep. After that initial
    > keystroke, it's as if the system "woke up" and I have no problem using
    > the keyboard as long as I continue to type without long pauses.
    >
    > Now the really weird thing is that my current setup is a Microsoft
    > cordless keyboard/mouse combo. You'd think with the "weirdness" of
    > having to connect the transmitter to the input ports on the KVM that
    > it might not work, but it works just great!
    >
    > Again, since the mouse works just fine under Linux, it's not that the
    > mouse connection is the problem. It's strictly a "Windows XP thing."
    >
    > Does anyone have any insights? Couldn't find a thing on the Belkin
    > website or doing a Google search.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.

    I have almost the opposite problem.
    I use a 4 way Belkin SOHO KVM. I have never had problems under Windows
    but when switching to Linux the mouse jumps all over the place
    apparently clicking its buttons randomly. I dug out an older Belkin KVM
    and that works fine under Windows and Linux.
    I think there is something odd about the new designs. I posted a query
    on Belkin's web site at the weekend, if I get anything useful back I
    will post it here.

    --
    Jeff Gaines - Damerham Hampshire UK
    Posted with XanaNews 1.16.4.6

    "Jeff Gaines" <whitedragon101@hotmail.com> writes:

    > On 08/09/2004 A Nengineer wrote:
    >
    > > Greetings. This has been a really odd problem.
    > >
    > > I'm using a Belkin KVM switch (http://tinyurl.com/3ayms). The switch
    > > works very well except for one problem: since it has a PS/2 mouse
    > > port, I have to use a USB-to-PS/2 adapter to plug in to it.
    > >
    > > Windows XP simply will not "see' this setup. It acts as though I have
    > > no mouse. This is true, even when I've tried a large variety of
    > > different mice, and even different connectors. And it's a WinXP
    > > problem, because the other box I am using is Fedora Linux, and it has
    > > NO problems.
    > >
    > > These are both "home-built" computers.
    > >
    > > The video and keyboard have no problem except, when I'm in WinXP, if I
    > > go about ten second or more without using the keyboard, the first
    > > keystroke is "ignored" and causes a system beep. After that initial
    > > keystroke, it's as if the system "woke up" and I have no problem using
    > > the keyboard as long as I continue to type without long pauses.
    > >
    > > Now the really weird thing is that my current setup is a Microsoft
    > > cordless keyboard/mouse combo. You'd think with the "weirdness" of
    > > having to connect the transmitter to the input ports on the KVM that
    > > it might not work, but it works just great!
    > >
    > > Again, since the mouse works just fine under Linux, it's not that the
    > > mouse connection is the problem. It's strictly a "Windows XP thing."
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any insights? Couldn't find a thing on the Belkin
    > > website or doing a Google search.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for your help.
    >
    > I have almost the opposite problem.
    > I use a 4 way Belkin SOHO KVM. I have never had problems under Windows
    > but when switching to Linux the mouse jumps all over the place
    > apparently clicking its buttons randomly. I dug out an older Belkin KVM
    > and that works fine under Windows and Linux.
    > I think there is something odd about the new designs. I posted a query
    > on Belkin's web site at the weekend, if I get anything useful back I
    > will post it here.

    I've had similar problems on various KVM. What eventually worked for me was
    getting an actual Logitech corded mouse. If I used the mice I had been using
    before, the mouse would never get reset properly. So I suspect the KVM's are
    real sensitive to exactly what mouse you use.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

    Sometime on, or about 08 Sep 2004 15:53:34 -0400, Michael Meissner
    wrote:

    > "Jeff Gaines" <whitedragon101@hotmail.com> writes:
    >
    >> On 08/09/2004 A Nengineer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Greetings. This has been a really odd problem.
    >>>
    >>> I'm using a Belkin KVM switch (http://tinyurl.com/3ayms). The switch
    >>> works very well except for one problem: since it has a PS/2 mouse
    >>> port, I have to use a USB-to-PS/2 adapter to plug in to it.
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP simply will not "see' this setup. It acts as though I have
    >>> no mouse. This is true, even when I've tried a large variety of
    >>> different mice, and even different connectors. And it's a WinXP
    >>> problem, because the other box I am using is Fedora Linux, and it has
    >>> NO problems.
    >>>
    >>> These are both "home-built" computers.
    >>>
    >>> The video and keyboard have no problem except, when I'm in WinXP, if I
    >>> go about ten second or more without using the keyboard, the first
    >>> keystroke is "ignored" and causes a system beep. After that initial
    >>> keystroke, it's as if the system "woke up" and I have no problem using
    >>> the keyboard as long as I continue to type without long pauses.
    >>>
    >>> Now the really weird thing is that my current setup is a Microsoft
    >>> cordless keyboard/mouse combo. You'd think with the "weirdness" of
    >>> having to connect the transmitter to the input ports on the KVM that
    >>> it might not work, but it works just great!
    >>>
    >>> Again, since the mouse works just fine under Linux, it's not that the
    >>> mouse connection is the problem. It's strictly a "Windows XP thing."
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have any insights? Couldn't find a thing on the Belkin
    >>> website or doing a Google search.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance for your help.
    >>
    >> I have almost the opposite problem.
    >> I use a 4 way Belkin SOHO KVM. I have never had problems under Windows
    >> but when switching to Linux the mouse jumps all over the place
    >> apparently clicking its buttons randomly. I dug out an older Belkin KVM
    >> and that works fine under Windows and Linux.
    >> I think there is something odd about the new designs. I posted a query
    >> on Belkin's web site at the weekend, if I get anything useful back I
    >> will post it here.
    >
    > I've had similar problems on various KVM. What eventually worked for me was
    > getting an actual Logitech corded mouse. If I used the mice I had been using
    > before, the mouse would never get reset properly. So I suspect the KVM's are
    > real sensitive to exactly what mouse you use.

    With the Belkin KVM's I always had a problem with Logitech mice. I'd
    lose the scroll wheel function if I used the switch. Rebooting brought
    it back. With a MS mouse, however, the Belkin worked just fine...
    strange.

    Sam
    --
    To mail me, please get rid of the BS first
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.os.linux.hardware (More info?)

    Sam <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> writes:

    > Sometime on, or about 08 Sep 2004 15:53:34 -0400, Michael Meissner
    > wrote:
    > > I've had similar problems on various KVM. What eventually worked for me was
    > > getting an actual Logitech corded mouse. If I used the mice I had been using
    > > before, the mouse would never get reset properly. So I suspect the KVM's are
    > > real sensitive to exactly what mouse you use.
    >
    > With the Belkin KVM's I always had a problem with Logitech mice. I'd
    > lose the scroll wheel function if I used the switch. Rebooting brought
    > it back. With a MS mouse, however, the Belkin worked just fine...
    > strange.

    Yep. I forgot to mention that I had ditched the Belkin KVM and went to a
    generic brand, and then found it liked only Logitech mice. Since the original
    poster had Belkin, I would go with the M$ mouse (hey, whatever works).

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
    http://www.the-meissners.org
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.os.linux.hardware (More info?)

    Well, except that I have used MS, Logitech, Kensington, and even, oddly
    enough, "Belkin" mice. These have been optical as well as
    opto-mechanical, wired AND wireless.

    I get the exact same problems with all of them. It seems to be Windows
    XP that's the culprit, because all the above mice work fine when the
    switch is set to the Linux box, EVEN the MS wireless optical mouse!

    And the keyboard (MS optical) works great on either side except for the
    "beep after too long idle time" phenomenon that I described below--and
    once again, that only happens on the WinXP side, not on Linux.

    Odd that Linux would be error-free for this particular application and
    WinXP would have the problems. Odder still that (the KVM
    notwithstanding) the MS products don't have a problem with Linux, only
    WinXP.

    Michael Meissner wrote:
    > Sam <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> writes:
    >

    >>Sometime on, or about 08 Sep 2004 15:53:34 -0400, Michael Meissner
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've had similar problems on various KVM. What eventually worked for me was
    >>>getting an actual Logitech corded mouse. If I used the mice I had been using
    >>>before, the mouse would never get reset properly. So I suspect the KVM's are
    >>>real sensitive to exactly what mouse you use.
    >>
    >>With the Belkin KVM's I always had a problem with Logitech mice. I'd
    >>lose the scroll wheel function if I used the switch. Rebooting brought
    >>it back. With a MS mouse, however, the Belkin worked just fine...
    >>strange.
    >

    > Yep. I forgot to mention that I had ditched the Belkin KVM and went to a
    > generic brand, and then found it liked only Logitech mice. Since the original
    > poster had Belkin, I would go with the M$ mouse (hey, whatever works).

  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.os.linux.hardware (More info?)

    Hmmmm. My thing is that I use a seperate mouse hooked directly to each
    computer, as the computers have some space on top of their shelf mounted
    towers... I am using a Belden Omni View digital switch. Push one
    button, and it steps through the systems, 1 through 6. Was a great deal
    for only $10, including all cables!
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.os.linux.hardware (More info?)

    patrick wrote:
    > Hmmmm. My thing is that I use a seperate mouse hooked directly to each
    > computer,

    That's the same solution I finally came to, after have
    a variety of problems with various mice, various KVMs,
    and various OSes. Fortunately the Keyboards and Monitors
    seem to switch okay. :-)

    Duke
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.os.linux.hardware (More info?)

    A Nengineer <root@nowhere.inthe.cc> writes:

    > Well, except that I have used MS, Logitech, Kensington, and even, oddly enough,
    > "Belkin" mice. These have been optical as well as opto-mechanical, wired AND
    > wireless.
    >
    > I get the exact same problems with all of them. It seems to be Windows XP
    > that's the culprit, because all the above mice work fine when the switch is set
    > to the Linux box, EVEN the MS wireless optical mouse!
    >
    > And the keyboard (MS optical) works great on either side except for the "beep
    > after too long idle time" phenomenon that I described below--and once again,
    > that only happens on the WinXP side, not on Linux.
    >
    > Odd that Linux would be error-free for this particular application and WinXP
    > would have the problems. Odder still that (the KVM notwithstanding) the MS
    > products don't have a problem with Linux, only WinXP.

    Have you considered changing KVM's? Maybe there is some problem with your
    Belkin or with your cables.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
    http://www.the-meissners.org
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.os.linux.hardware (More info?)

    Michael Meissner wrote:
    > A Nengineer <root@nowhere.inthe.cc> writes:
    >

    >>Well, except that I have used MS, Logitech, Kensington, and even, oddly enough,
    >>"Belkin" mice. These have been optical as well as opto-mechanical, wired AND
    >>wireless.

    > Have you considered changing KVM's? Maybe there is some problem with your
    > Belkin or with your cables.

    I simply don't want to take the time--and shell out more money--to do
    this. I'll live with having to use two mice, and sometimes having to
    repeat keystrokes.

    No, I don't think it's the problem with the Belkin. After all, it works
    fine as long as I'm not using WinXP. So who do you think the REAL
    culprit might be? :-)
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.os.linux.hardware (More info?)

    Sometime on, or about Sat, 11 Sep 2004 12:51:02 GMT, A Nengineer
    wrote:

    > Michael Meissner wrote:
    >> A Nengineer <root@nowhere.inthe.cc> writes:
    >>
    >>>Well, except that I have used MS, Logitech, Kensington, and even, oddly enough,
    >>>"Belkin" mice. These have been optical as well as opto-mechanical, wired AND
    >>>wireless.
    >
    >> Have you considered changing KVM's? Maybe there is some problem with your
    >> Belkin or with your cables.
    >>

    > I simply don't want to take the time--and shell out more money--to do
    > this. I'll live with having to use two mice, and sometimes having to
    > repeat keystrokes.
    >
    > No, I don't think it's the problem with the Belkin. After all, it works
    > fine as long as I'm not using WinXP. So who do you think the REAL
    > culprit might be? :-)

    It could also be that Belkin doesn't have that switch configured
    properly in firmware for XP. That would make it their fault as well.
    They do have firmware upgrades on their website.

    Sam
    --
    To mail me, please get rid of the BS first

Hardware Mice Windows XP