Skippy USB on A8N Premium

I've just moved from a Pentium-based Asus system (P4C800E Deluxe) to a
spiffy new dual-core Athlon based A8N SLI Premium.

My previous system shared a DVI monitor and USB keyboard and mouse with
another computer via an IOGear KVM switch. Everything worked great.

But on the new system, Windows has real problems with the USB through
the switch.

Everything works perfectly if I plug the keyboard and mouse directly
into the A8N.

Everything (well, the keyboard) works perfectly in the BIOS setup
screen.

Once Windows loads, though, USB communications is very "skippy".
Keypresses take several seconds to register, or don't register at all.
Mouse movement is jerky: the pointer moves, then freezes, then moves
again. Using the system is essentially impossible.

I first noticed this during Windows installation, but hoped it would go
away once everything was completed. Nope.

Enabling/disabling legacy USB and USB 2.0 support in the BIOS makes no
difference.

Any ideas, anyone?

Yes, I tried all four ports on the back of the motherboard, no, I
didn't change to a different mouse or keyboard (Matias Tactile Pro USB
keyboard, Logitech MX-1000 mouse).

The two interesting points are:

1. The problems are only evident after Windows loads-- in the BIOS I
can type as fast as I want.

2. The problems in Windows only occur when I'm going through the switch.

milleron

On 2 Jul 2005 17:48:18 -0700, dramsey@neko.com wrote:

>I've just moved from a Pentium-based Asus system (P4C800E Deluxe) to a
>spiffy new dual-core Athlon based A8N SLI Premium.
>
>My previous system shared a DVI monitor and USB keyboard and mouse with
>another computer via an IOGear KVM switch. Everything worked great.
>
>But on the new system, Windows has real problems with the USB through
>the switch.
>
>Everything works perfectly if I plug the keyboard and mouse directly
>into the A8N.
>
>Everything (well, the keyboard) works perfectly in the BIOS setup
>screen.
>
>Once Windows loads, though, USB communications is very "skippy".
>Keypresses take several seconds to register, or don't register at all.
>Mouse movement is jerky: the pointer moves, then freezes, then moves
>again. Using the system is essentially impossible.
>
>I first noticed this during Windows installation, but hoped it would go
>away once everything was completed. Nope.
>
>Enabling/disabling legacy USB and USB 2.0 support in the BIOS makes no
>difference.
>
>Any ideas, anyone?

You've tried ALL the USB ports to make sure it's not a connection
problem?

You didn't change to a different mouse or keyboard, did you? Please
tell us exactly what mouse and what keyboard you're using even if
they're the same ones you used before.

Does everything still work properly with the other computer?

If the KVM is a USB-1 device, does the IOGear FAQ for your switch have
anything on running it on USB-2 connections?

(I just hooked up an IOGear MiniView MicroAudio 4-porter with my
A8N-SLI Premium yesterday, BUT it's a PS-2 device.)

Ron

milleron

On 2 Jul 2005 20:40:36 -0700, dramsey@neko.com wrote:

>Yes, I tried all four ports on the back of the motherboard, no, I
>didn't change to a different mouse or keyboard (Matias Tactile Pro USB
>keyboard, Logitech MX-1000 mouse).
>
>The two interesting points are:
>
>1. The problems are only evident after Windows loads-- in the BIOS I
>can type as fast as I want.
>
>2. The problems in Windows only occur when I'm going through the switch.
I presume that the MX-1000 has a driver or software for Windows that's
been installed on the computer.

All the consumer KVM switches actually use emulators for the mice and
the keyboards -- i.e., they don't simply switch the USB or PS2 wiring
so that the signal flows straight through the switch to the PC.
That's why they're not compatible with all mice and keyboards.

I think that IOGear claims that their KVMs are compatible with MS
Intellimouse, Logitech First Mouse, and a few others. I can't recall
about the keyboards. With Linksys, I found that I could use a Natural
Pro keyboard, but NOT a Natural Elite and certainly none of the
multimedia keyboards.

I don't think any of the consumers KVMs, by IOGear, Linksys, or
Belkin, will allow you to use a multimedia keyboard, for example.
It's not just the extra functions that don't work, either. I tried to
use a MS Internet Keyboard with my Linksys KVM, and the whole thing
was nonfunctional through the switch (it worked when connected
directly to the computers). It caused problems a lot like you
describe. I returned it to the store, and told them it was defective,
but I then found out from Linksys that it was simply not compatible
with my KVM switch. I had to revert to my old MS Natural Keyboard.

In short, I think it's unlikely that your switch knows how to emulate
an MX-1000 mouse or your keyboard. You should email IOGear Tech
Support to ask specifically if your model is compatible with that
particular keyboard and mouse. If not, there's not going to be a
workaround.

I realize that doesn't explain why the setup worked before, but I
still think that IOGear is going to tell you that your peripherals are
not compatible with the switch. If they claim they ARE, please post
here, because I've wished I could use an MX-1000. I've hesitated to
get it because I figured that it wouldn't work through my IOGear KVM.

Ron