New Motherboard! Why? Error Message. Please help.

I have just installed a new motherboard and processor but
cannot get the pC to boot up. I'm getting a message
saying "Primary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable
installed" message and have no idea what this means.
11 answers Last reply
More about motherboard error message help

    Did you remember to connect the cable from the motherbaord to the hard
    drive? You may need to change settings in the BIOS. Also, if you had
    XP installed previously on the hard drive you are connecting, you will
    need to perform a repair install. Post a follow up with more info and
    after you have checked the above :)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Tony Turtle wrote:
    > I have just installed a new motherboard and processor but
    > cannot get the pC to boot up. I'm getting a message
    > saying "Primary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable
    > installed" message and have no idea what this means.

    In my haste to upgrade two PC's I omitted to get a new
    graphics card (old one had integrated graphics. (D'Oh!)
    Will re-boot with the 80 pin cable and be back soon (I
    hope)

    Tony

    If the main (possible only) hard drive is rated ATA/100 or 133, XP demands
    that it be conected to the motherboard via an 80-pin cable, not a 40-pin
    cable. Such a cable often comes with a new disk, or can be purchased at
    most major PC stores. An older PC probably has a 40-pin cable, especially
    it its disks were rated ATA/66 or less. Note that win98 would not have
    complained about this, but then it also does not do as much hardware
    checking as does XP.

    "Tony Turtle" <trfcturtle@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have just installed a new motherboard and processor but
    > cannot get the pC to boot up. I'm getting a message
    > saying "Primary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable
    > installed" message and have no idea what this means.

    Excellent point and the 80-pin cable should have come with the new
    motherboard. I would like to know if he got this message before or
    after loading into Windows.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Bob Harris wrote:
    > If the main (possible only) hard drive is rated ATA/100 or 133, XP demands
    > that it be conected to the motherboard via an 80-pin cable, not a 40-pin
    > cable. Such a cable often comes with a new disk, or can be purchased at
    > most major PC stores. An older PC probably has a 40-pin cable, especially
    > it its disks were rated ATA/66 or less. Note that win98 would not have
    > complained about this, but then it also does not do as much hardware
    > checking as does XP.
    >
    > "Tony Turtle" <trfcturtle@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have just installed a new motherboard and processor but
    >>cannot get the pC to boot up. I'm getting a message
    >>saying "Primary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable
    >>installed" message and have no idea what this means.

    Well thanks for the prompt response!

    The PC I am having problems with is my secondary PC on a
    direct Network link to the one I'm using now. I upgraded
    the motherboard on the "main" PC no problem.

    I am running XP (on both machines) and have retained all
    the old hardware DVD Rom, CD Rom, Floppy, and HDD with
    the "old" original installation of XP on it.
    I think I also used the old IDE cabling as the new one
    wasn't long enough, but.. is there a way of telling which
    was the new IDE cable?

    New motherboard that is giving me the problem is a
    PCCHIPS A7V8-X SKT A KT400 8x AGP DDR Sound/LAN/USB2
    board.

    Tony

    Sorry,
    I can get into the BIOS ok, but get the option to boot
    into safe mode, safe mode with networking, Load Windows
    Normally, etc but the PC re-boots after that. Only by
    disconnecting the Floppy Drive could I get the PC
    to "freeze" and let me read the error message.

    Tony

    OK. 80 pin cable installed (I found it) but after getting
    to the "Start Windows Normally" stage and pressing enter,
    PC Reboots on its own still. I cannot get past that
    stage. A blue screen of death appears briefly but not for
    long enough for me to note down the error message.

    Will a repair install of XP overcome this or is there
    another hardware problem?

    As I said, I can get into BIOS so repair of XP shouldn't
    be a problem.

    Tony Turtle wrote:
    > I have just installed a new motherboard and processor but
    > cannot get the pC to boot up. I'm getting a message
    > saying "Primary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable
    > installed" message and have no idea what this means.

    The error message is clearly telling you that you don't have the
    correct IDE ribbon cable connecting the hard drive to the motherboard
    for optimum performance.

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
    and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
    before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
    (same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
    one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
    need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
    the very least:

    important data before starting.

    This will also require re-activation, unless you have a Volume
    Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than 120
    days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever
    count on having both at once. - RAH

    There are answers to that 80-conductor cable in this thread. But after
    swapping motherboard and processor, you have to do a repair install to get
    XP to properly recognize installed hardware, as the new mobo is acompletly
    different animal, chipset and other stuff on it.

    Boot from XP CD (hope yours has SP1 (or SP2) slipstreamed), select install
    on first screen where it asks, and repair on second asking screen

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Tony Turtle" <trfcturtle@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
    > OK. 80 pin cable installed (I found it) but after getting
    > to the "Start Windows Normally" stage and pressing enter,
    > PC Reboots on its own still. I cannot get past that
    > stage. A blue screen of death appears briefly but not for
    > long enough for me to note down the error message.
    >
    > Will a repair install of XP overcome this or is there
    > another hardware problem?
    >
    > As I said, I can get into BIOS so repair of XP shouldn't
    > be a problem.

    I got the 80 Core cable problem sorted. However, when I
    try to do a Repair, it gets to "Which sector do you want
    to repair? 1. C:\WINDOWS - Press enter to exit" !!
    If I press "1" it does nothing, If I do nothing,
    er..nothing happens, If I press Enter, it re-boots. It
    doesn't want to work.

    Oooh, not the Recovery Console. Boot off the XP CD, choose to INSTALL,
    then it will find the existing OS and offer to repair it, then press R
    to repair.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

Motherboards Error Message Windows XP