Computer configured in ACPI Multiprocessor but only using ..

Hi,

I have a dual processor computer and during the Windows XP install it set it
up as an ACPI Multiprocessor PC and both cpu's are listed in the device
manager. However, benchmarks only reflect the scores of a single cpu pc.
Also, in the task manager under performace, you should see 2 cpu graphs I
only see one and in the processes tab I don't have the option to 'Set
affinity' (which is to specify a process to run on a certain cpu).

My pc is 2x AMD Athlon 2800+ MP, motherboard is ASUS A7M266-D, 1gb of
registered ddr ram, ATI Radeon 8500 64mb DDR.

I contacted AMD they said it may be an operating system related problem.

thanks in advance.
8 answers Last reply
More about computer configured acpi multiprocessor

    Windows XP Home Edition supports one (1) CPU.
    Windows XP Professional supports one (1) or two (2) CPUs.
    Which version of Windows XP did you install?

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Eddie" wrote:

    | Hi,
    |
    | I have a dual processor computer and during the Windows XP install it set it
    | up as an ACPI Multiprocessor PC and both cpu's are listed in the device
    | manager. However, benchmarks only reflect the scores of a single cpu pc.
    | Also, in the task manager under performace, you should see 2 cpu graphs I
    | only see one and in the processes tab I don't have the option to 'Set
    | affinity' (which is to specify a process to run on a certain cpu).
    |
    | My pc is 2x AMD Athlon 2800+ MP, motherboard is ASUS A7M266-D, 1gb of
    | registered ddr ram, ATI Radeon 8500 64mb DDR.
    |
    | I contacted AMD they said it may be an operating system related problem.
    |
    | thanks in advance.

    Hi,

    I installed Windows XP Professional

    Eddie wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a dual processor computer and during the Windows XP install it
    > set it up as an ACPI Multiprocessor PC and both cpu's are listed in
    > the device manager. However, benchmarks only reflect the scores of a
    > single cpu pc. Also, in the task manager under performace, you should
    > see 2 cpu graphs I only see one and in the processes tab I don't have
    > the option to 'Set affinity' (which is to specify a process to run on
    > a certain cpu).
    >
    > My pc is 2x AMD Athlon 2800+ MP, motherboard is ASUS A7M266-D, 1gb of
    > registered ddr ram, ATI Radeon 8500 64mb DDR.
    >
    > I contacted AMD they said it may be an operating system related
    > problem.
    >
    > thanks in advance.

    Windows missed the boat when it came to choosing the correct HAL.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;299340

    You want the ACPI Multiprocessor PC HAL.

    ***Note The screen displays only two computer types at a time. To scroll up
    or down to view the complete list, use the arrow keys.

    You will need to perform an upgrade aka repair install.

    Hi S. Heenan,

    The computer is configured using ACPI Multiprocessor PC HAL.

    "S.Heenan" wrote:

    > Eddie wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a dual processor computer and during the Windows XP install it
    > > set it up as an ACPI Multiprocessor PC and both cpu's are listed in
    > > the device manager. However, benchmarks only reflect the scores of a
    > > single cpu pc. Also, in the task manager under performace, you should
    > > see 2 cpu graphs I only see one and in the processes tab I don't have
    > > the option to 'Set affinity' (which is to specify a process to run on
    > > a certain cpu).
    > >
    > > My pc is 2x AMD Athlon 2800+ MP, motherboard is ASUS A7M266-D, 1gb of
    > > registered ddr ram, ATI Radeon 8500 64mb DDR.
    > >
    > > I contacted AMD they said it may be an operating system related
    > > problem.
    > >
    > > thanks in advance.
    >

    > Windows missed the boat when it came to choosing the correct HAL.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;299340
    >
    > You want the ACPI Multiprocessor PC HAL.
    >
    > ***Note The screen displays only two computer types at a time. To scroll up
    > or down to view the complete list, use the arrow keys.
    >

    > You will need to perform an upgrade aka repair install.
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

    I guess you didn't read and/or comprehend where the OP said "set it up as
    ACPI Multiprocessor PC" and "both cpu's are listed in the device manager" -
    both being a dead giveaway XP recognized both CPU's and installed the
    correct HAL.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service

    "S.Heenan" <sheenan@wahs.ac> wrote in message
    > Eddie wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a dual processor computer and during the Windows XP install it
    >> set it up as an ACPI Multiprocessor PC and both cpu's are listed in
    >> the device manager. However, benchmarks only reflect the scores of a
    >> single cpu pc. Also, in the task manager under performace, you should
    >> see 2 cpu graphs I only see one and in the processes tab I don't have
    >> the option to 'Set affinity' (which is to specify a process to run on
    >> a certain cpu).
    >>
    >> My pc is 2x AMD Athlon 2800+ MP, motherboard is ASUS A7M266-D, 1gb of
    >> registered ddr ram, ATI Radeon 8500 64mb DDR.
    >>
    >> I contacted AMD they said it may be an operating system related
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> thanks in advance.
    >

    > Windows missed the boat when it came to choosing the correct HAL.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;299340
    >
    > You want the ACPI Multiprocessor PC HAL.
    >
    > ***Note The screen displays only two computer types at a time. To scroll
    > up or down to view the complete list, use the arrow keys.
    >

    > You will need to perform an upgrade aka repair install.
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

    What benchmarks are you using? It may be that the benchmark utility is
    unable to utilize both CPU's or is not configured to. To see both CPU
    graphs in Task Manager, click Performance Tab, click View-CPU
    History-One Graph Per CPU. For Set Affinity, this really should be
    there though I believe the only way to use this is if you have two
    PHYSICAL processors. I am unable to use this on my HT processor. If
    you are able to, it might be a good idea to backup your data (image the
    drive maybe), and do a clean install of Windows and see if the problem
    is still there. If it is, it may be the way your hardware is configured
    (meaning BIOS settings, jumpers, etc.). You can always put the old
    image back on too. Don't fully trust images though, make sure to backup
    important data to a CD or DVD as well as the image ;)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Eddie wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a dual processor computer and during the Windows XP install it set it
    > up as an ACPI Multiprocessor PC and both cpu's are listed in the device
    > manager. However, benchmarks only reflect the scores of a single cpu pc.
    > Also, in the task manager under performace, you should see 2 cpu graphs I
    > only see one and in the processes tab I don't have the option to 'Set
    > affinity' (which is to specify a process to run on a certain cpu).
    >
    > My pc is 2x AMD Athlon 2800+ MP, motherboard is ASUS A7M266-D, 1gb of
    > registered ddr ram, ATI Radeon 8500 64mb DDR.
    >
    > I contacted AMD they said it may be an operating system related problem.
    >
    > thanks in advance.

    Hi Nathan,

    Sisoft Sandra is the benchmark util and it detects it as using both cpu's
    but the specs only give me the equivalent of 1 cpu. Also, One Graph Per CPU
    is what its set to. But I only see 1 graph. Set affinity should work because
    I have 2 physical processors and the system is configured and was setup
    through the install to use the ACPI Multiprocessor PC HAL. This is a very
    wierd problem because I haven't changed anything in my BIOS from when I had
    the two older Athlon 2000+ MP cpus which worked fine. AMD got back to me yet
    again and says they don't suspect it being a CPU problem. I'm going to go
    through the bios again and see but I doubt there's anything in there.

    Thanks.

    "Nathan McNulty" wrote:

    > What benchmarks are you using? It may be that the benchmark utility is
    > unable to utilize both CPU's or is not configured to. To see both CPU
    > graphs in Task Manager, click Performance Tab, click View-CPU
    > History-One Graph Per CPU. For Set Affinity, this really should be
    > there though I believe the only way to use this is if you have two
    > PHYSICAL processors. I am unable to use this on my HT processor. If
    > you are able to, it might be a good idea to backup your data (image the
    > drive maybe), and do a clean install of Windows and see if the problem
    > is still there. If it is, it may be the way your hardware is configured
    > (meaning BIOS settings, jumpers, etc.). You can always put the old
    > image back on too. Don't fully trust images though, make sure to backup
    > important data to a CD or DVD as well as the image ;)
    >
    > ----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >

    > Eddie wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a dual processor computer and during the Windows XP install it set it
    > > up as an ACPI Multiprocessor PC and both cpu's are listed in the device
    > > manager. However, benchmarks only reflect the scores of a single cpu pc.
    > > Also, in the task manager under performace, you should see 2 cpu graphs I
    > > only see one and in the processes tab I don't have the option to 'Set
    > > affinity' (which is to specify a process to run on a certain cpu).
    > >
    > > My pc is 2x AMD Athlon 2800+ MP, motherboard is ASUS A7M266-D, 1gb of
    > > registered ddr ram, ATI Radeon 8500 64mb DDR.
    > >
    > > I contacted AMD they said it may be an operating system related problem.
    > >
    > > thanks in advance.

    How about checking for a BIOS update. Also, try each CPU individually
    and see if one of them is just not working right. I would grab a backup
    drive, put that one in there, and do a bunch of testing with clean
    installs of Windows with different settings and configurations until you
    figure out what is going on. If you still can't, I would return the
    CPU's, put your old one's back in and wait a little while to upgrade the
    whole system. This may not be an option for you, but perhaps you can
    try a different set of CPU's or something.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Eddie wrote:
    > Hi Nathan,
    >
    > Sisoft Sandra is the benchmark util and it detects it as using both cpu's
    > but the specs only give me the equivalent of 1 cpu. Also, One Graph Per CPU
    > is what its set to. But I only see 1 graph. Set affinity should work because
    > I have 2 physical processors and the system is configured and was setup
    > through the install to use the ACPI Multiprocessor PC HAL. This is a very
    > wierd problem because I haven't changed anything in my BIOS from when I had
    > the two older Athlon 2000+ MP cpus which worked fine. AMD got back to me yet
    > again and says they don't suspect it being a CPU problem. I'm going to go
    > through the bios again and see but I doubt there's anything in there.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
    >

    >>What benchmarks are you using? It may be that the benchmark utility is
    >>unable to utilize both CPU's or is not configured to. To see both CPU
    >>graphs in Task Manager, click Performance Tab, click View-CPU
    >>History-One Graph Per CPU. For Set Affinity, this really should be
    >>there though I believe the only way to use this is if you have two
    >>PHYSICAL processors. I am unable to use this on my HT processor. If
    >>you are able to, it might be a good idea to backup your data (image the
    >>drive maybe), and do a clean install of Windows and see if the problem
    >>is still there. If it is, it may be the way your hardware is configured
    >>(meaning BIOS settings, jumpers, etc.). You can always put the old
    >>image back on too. Don't fully trust images though, make sure to backup
    >>important data to a CD or DVD as well as the image ;)
    >>
    >>----
    >>Nathan McNulty
    >>

    >>Eddie wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I have a dual processor computer and during the Windows XP install it set it
    >>>up as an ACPI Multiprocessor PC and both cpu's are listed in the device
    >>>manager. However, benchmarks only reflect the scores of a single cpu pc.
    >>>Also, in the task manager under performace, you should see 2 cpu graphs I
    >>>only see one and in the processes tab I don't have the option to 'Set
    >>>affinity' (which is to specify a process to run on a certain cpu).
    >>>
    >>>My pc is 2x AMD Athlon 2800+ MP, motherboard is ASUS A7M266-D, 1gb of
    >>>registered ddr ram, ATI Radeon 8500 64mb DDR.
    >>>
    >>>I contacted AMD they said it may be an operating system related problem.
    >>>
    >>>thanks in advance.

Computers CPUs Windows XP