cdrw

hi there
my cdrw has suddenly stopped working when i put any cd in the disc
in light flashs for a few minutes but it does not load .i thought initally it
was a autoplay problem but i ran the microsoft autoplay fix program but it
found no problems.the cdrw is detected on boot up and shows no problem in
device manager yet still does not read any disks is this a software problem
or did it just die peacefully in the night.
hope someone can help
--
opus123

mrs1044 wrote:
> hi there
> my cdrw has suddenly stopped working when i put any cd in
> the disc in light flashs for a few minutes but it does not load .i
> thought initally it was a autoplay problem but i ran the microsoft
> autoplay fix program but it found no problems.the cdrw is detected on
> boot up and shows no problem in device manager yet still does not
> read any disks is this a software problem or did it just die
> peacefully in the night.
> hope someone can help

"It's dead Jim."

You could unplug the PC from the 120VAC line, open the case and reseat the
IDE ribbon cables. Otherwise, it could very well be kaput.
Good news is a new one is ~$30US and a DVD burner $60-85US.

Try three things before spending money on a new drive:

1. All suggestions here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641

2. Backup your files, boot off your Windows XP CD, format the drive, and
reinstall Windows.

3. Try the drive in another computer.

If those three don't work, the drive is probably dead. I would suggest
trying this DVD Burner (best one out there for the money in my opinion):
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-029&depa=1

----
Nathan McNulty

"S.Heenan" wrote:

> mrs1044 wrote:
> > hi there
> > my cdrw has suddenly stopped working when i put any cd in
> > the disc in light flashs for a few minutes but it does not load .i
> > thought initally it was a autoplay problem but i ran the microsoft
> > autoplay fix program but it found no problems.the cdrw is detected on
> > boot up and shows no problem in device manager yet still does not
> > read any disks is this a software problem or did it just die
> > peacefully in the night.
> > hope someone can help
>

> "It's dead Jim."
>
> You could unplug the PC from the 120VAC line, open the case and reseat the
> IDE ribbon cables. Otherwise, it could very well be kaput.
> Good news is a new one is ~$30US and a DVD burner $60-85US.
>

> you are right scotty it is dead !
but i wished i lived in the u.s.in ireland the cheapest cdrw costs around
60$ and a dvd around 180+
thanks for the help