trouble adding harddrive to dell 4600

I have two western digital 40 gb hard drives from my previous computer that
I want to connect to my new system in order to extract my data from them. I
have attempted to connect one at a time but have been unsuccessful in
getting the new system to recognize them. The cables will only connect one
way so I feel this is not a problem. The hard drives spin up so they are
getting power. The pin settings are set to cable. The device manager only
shows one hard drive and there is not an error flag.

The data on these disks cannot be retrieved from the old system as the video
card or perhaps the motherboard died.

It has to be something simple that I am overlooking so would really
appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Ted Evans

answered on your post that was two minutes later.