trouble connecting harddrives to dell 4600

I have two western digital 40 gb hard drives from my previous computer that
I want to connect to my new system in order to extract my data from them. I
have attempted to connect one at a time but have been unsuccessful in
getting the new system to recognize them. The cables will only connect one
way so I feel this is not a problem. The hard drives spin up so they are
getting power. The pin settings are set to cable. The device manager only
shows one hard drive and there is not an error flag.

The data on these disks cannot be retrieved from the old system as the video
card or perhaps the motherboard died.

It has to be something simple that I am overlooking so would really
appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Ted Evans

931-788-5168

Set the jumper on the boot hard drive to Master (not cable
select) and set the jumper on the other drives to slave. If
you have the space in the case and on the IDE cables, you
can install both the hard drives as slaves, just follow the
rule...
You have two IDE ports on the motherboard, each can have two
devices, a master and a slave.
Your 4600 may have a hard drive and 2 optical drives (CD,
CD-RW or DVD), if that is the setup, leave the Master
optical drive connected and install one hard drive as a
slave on that channel and the other hard drive as a slave on
the same cable as the Master hard drive (the boot drive).
When you're done you can put it back the way you want.

"Ted Evans" <tevans9129@charter.net> wrote in message
|I have two western digital 40 gb hard drives from my
previous computer that
| I want to connect to my new system in order to extract my
data from them. I
| have attempted to connect one at a time but have been
unsuccessful in
| getting the new system to recognize them. The cables will
only connect one
| way so I feel this is not a problem. The hard drives spin
up so they are
| getting power. The pin settings are set to cable. The
device manager only
| shows one hard drive and there is not an error flag.
|

| The data on these disks cannot be retrieved from the old
system as the video
| card or perhaps the motherboard died.
|

| It has to be something simple that I am overlooking so
would really
| appreciate your help.
|

| Thanks.
|

| Ted Evans
|
| 931-788-5168

Hello Jim,

Thanks for the response. Jim this 4600 has a 160 gb sata drive, at least I
think that is what it is. Anyway, it does not have an IDE cable going to it.
And there are two cd drives. One of the drives that I am attempting to
connect has w2k operating system installed and the other one just has data.
I tried disconnecting the existing drive and connecting the one with w2k and
it would attempt to boot up but I would get an error message and the boot
would fail. With the existing drive connected and either one of the other
drives set to slave, the correct size of the drives would show in cmos but
they would never show up in device manager. I've installed a couple of
drives in the old days but never had any trouble like this.

After explaining the situation to Dell tech support, I received an
explanation on how to transfer data from the old computer to the new one and
the quote from the manual on how to add another hard drive which only gives
the mechanics of installing it. It does not say anything about the settings
or even if the things are compatible.

Anyway thanks for your suggestions.

Ted

"> Set the jumper on the boot hard drive to Master (not cable
> select) and set the jumper on the other drives to slave. If

For the purposes of the data transfer, remove both CD drives
and connect your two 40 GB hard drives as master and slave
on the IDE cables that did have the CD drives.
I would imagine that the mobo has two IDE 40 pin connectors,
a 34 pin connector for a floppy drive and maybe a SATA
connector or a PCI card with the SATA.

Get either or both of these system scan tools and you'll get
a report on the details of your system...
Bel Arc www.belarc.com free download
EVEREST Home www.lavalys.com

| Hello Jim,
|
| Thanks for the response. Jim this 4600 has a 160 gb sata
drive, at least I
| think that is what it is. Anyway, it does not have an IDE
cable going to it.
| And there are two cd drives. One of the drives that I am
attempting to
| connect has w2k operating system installed and the other
one just has data.
| I tried disconnecting the existing drive and connecting
the one with w2k and
| it would attempt to boot up but I would get an error
message and the boot
| would fail. With the existing drive connected and either
one of the other
| drives set to slave, the correct size of the drives would
show in cmos but
| they would never show up in device manager. I've installed
a couple of
| drives in the old days but never had any trouble like
this.

| After explaining the situation to Dell tech support, I
received an
| explanation on how to transfer data from the old computer
to the new one and
| the quote from the manual on how to add another hard drive
which only gives
| the mechanics of installing it. It does not say anything
about the settings
| or even if the things are compatible.
|
| Anyway thanks for your suggestions.
|
| Ted
|

| "> Set the jumper on the boot hard drive to Master (not
cable
| > select) and set the jumper on the other drives to slave.
If

simplest thing is to connect harddrive to 2nd controller
on pc, with jumpers set to master & no other device
connected to this controller, remove your files & remove
drive.

woody

Set pins on drives to cable select. Connect both drives to Primary IDE (or
Secondary) channel using single IDE cable. Boot and enter Setup Utility
(F2). Select Drive
Configuration. Set Primary Master and Primary Slave to AUTO (or Secondary
Master and Slave if CDROM devices are on Primary channel). Save and exit
Setup. Reboot. Both drives should now be detected in BIOS and Windows.

Good luck.

Woody