Which AGP Pro is the best to P4C800-E ?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Which AGP Pro is the best to P4C800-E ? ATI or NVidia?

I am looking for the AGP Pro Graphic card to the above Mo/bo. Any comments
will be appreciated.

Paul

Splendid

In article <3daze.10082$bh1.9302@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, "-;\)"
<-;)@msn.net> wrote:

> Which AGP Pro is the best to P4C800-E ? ATI or NVidia?
>
> I am looking for the AGP Pro Graphic card to the above Mo/bo. Any comments
> will be appreciated.

An AGP Pro slot accepts ordinary AGP cards. You do not have to
buy an expensive card just to fit the slot. The AGP pro slot accepts
expensive Pro cards and it also accepts ordinary AGP cards.

The Pro slot provides extra power pins, as a Pro card usually is quite
large and can have a lot of memory chips on it. See page 14 of this
doc, to see the extra power pins. An ordinary video card, like my
ATI 9800Pro, can also get its power from a disk drive connector -
that was done because most motherboards have non-Pro slots, so ATI
or Nvidia cannot rely on finding a Pro slot when they need additional
power. In other words, the Pro slot, while providing the option to
support more power hungry cards, is not the only mechanism for giving
that power - there is also the "disk drive cable" method. I use
a 9800Pro (which has an ordinary AGP connector) on my P4C800-E.

http://www.motherboards.org/files/techspecs/apro_r11a.pdf

Here is an example of a card using the AGP Pro style connector.
This card is long enough, that it will go right across your
motherboard. Cards like this are typically purchased by mechanical
engineers needing good OpenGL performance for CAD work.

http://www.3dlabs.com/products/product.asp?prod=273

If you are a gamer, anything listed in this very recent article,
will be suitable for use in your motherboard:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050705/index.html

HTH,
Paul

BigJim

good all around card is a Nvidia 6600gt best bang for the buck.

> In article <3daze.10082$bh1.9302@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, "-;\)"
> <-;)@msn.net> wrote:
>
>> Which AGP Pro is the best to P4C800-E ? ATI or NVidia?
>>
>> I am looking for the AGP Pro Graphic card to the above Mo/bo. Any
>> comments
>> will be appreciated.
>
> An AGP Pro slot accepts ordinary AGP cards. You do not have to
> buy an expensive card just to fit the slot. The AGP pro slot accepts
> expensive Pro cards and it also accepts ordinary AGP cards.
>
> The Pro slot provides extra power pins, as a Pro card usually is quite
> large and can have a lot of memory chips on it. See page 14 of this
> doc, to see the extra power pins. An ordinary video card, like my
> ATI 9800Pro, can also get its power from a disk drive connector -
> that was done because most motherboards have non-Pro slots, so ATI
> or Nvidia cannot rely on finding a Pro slot when they need additional
> power. In other words, the Pro slot, while providing the option to
> support more power hungry cards, is not the only mechanism for giving
> that power - there is also the "disk drive cable" method. I use
> a 9800Pro (which has an ordinary AGP connector) on my P4C800-E.
>
> http://www.motherboards.org/files/techspecs/apro_r11a.pdf
>
> Here is an example of a card using the AGP Pro style connector.
> This card is long enough, that it will go right across your
> motherboard. Cards like this are typically purchased by mechanical
> engineers needing good OpenGL performance for CAD work.
>
> http://www.3dlabs.com/products/product.asp?prod=273
>
> If you are a gamer, anything listed in this very recent article,
> will be suitable for use in your motherboard:
>
> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050705/index.html
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Thanks Paul,

Please ignore my question in othere thread, where I aseked
about the graphick card.
To conclude, I'll use then with Asus P4PC800 Delux mo/bo -
my ATI Radeon 9550 Sapphire(256MB), which
I use now with my older GA-PE667 mo/go and
is working well.

Jdr