P4P800-E Deluxe

Hi all,

Is it possible to use the SATA and the the 40 PRI_RAID port. If I connect
drives to the port the BIS recognises it but the drivers will not work in
either IDE or Raid mode they just tell me the device failed to start. I
have downloaded new drivers but nothing works.

Any ideas.

Bob
6 answers Last reply
More about p4p800 deluxe

    In article <dajqoo$j5n$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>, "Bob"
    <bob@nospam.com> wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Is it possible to use the SATA and the the 40 PRI_RAID port. If I connect
    > drives to the port the BIS recognises it but the drivers will not work in
    > either IDE or Raid mode they just tell me the device failed to start. I
    > have downloaded new drivers but nothing works.
    >
    > Any ideas.
    >
    > Bob

    Your board has storage services provided by the Southbridge
    (two IDE cables, two SATA connectors) and also a Promise 20378
    RAID chip (one IDE cable, two SATA connectors).

    The Promise chip has an ATA driver. If you actually wanted
    to boot from a PATA drive connected to the Promise Pri_RAID
    connector, then you'd want to use the "ATA" driver. It is
    the kind of driver you would install via F6 during the Windows
    install.

    If this is a non-boot drive, used for data and programs, you
    could install the Promise chip driver after the Windows install
    is finished.

    You should also have installed the chipset drivers, if you
    want the chipset hardware to be recognized properly by the
    OS.

    Mr. Steveo WinXP Install thread:
    http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34558

    Promise 20378 Fastrak "ATA" driver
    http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/ide/378ATA100130.zip

    Promise 20378 Fastrak "RAID" driver
    http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/ide/pdc20378/378RAID100130.zip

    from:
    http://support.asus.com.tw/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul,

    Thanks I eventually got it to work but it is a bit more complicated than
    this if you have installed the raid drivers and want to go back to the IDE
    driver. I had to physically delete the installed files and edit the
    registry as it would not go from RAID to IDE. The device just fails to
    start, I also had to the the RAID .dll in the run area of the registry.
    It would be good if ASUS provided an uninstall for the drivers.

    Bob

    In article <daltv0$fmf$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>, "Bob"
    <bob@nospam.com> wrote:

    > Paul,
    >
    > Thanks I eventually got it to work but it is a bit more complicated than
    > this if you have installed the raid drivers and want to go back to the IDE
    > driver. I had to physically delete the installed files and edit the
    > registry as it would not go from RAID to IDE. The device just fails to
    > start, I also had to the the RAID .dll in the run area of the registry.
    > It would be good if ASUS provided an uninstall for the drivers.
    >
    > Bob

    I haven't done a lot of experiments with disks on my P4C800-E.
    But, what I did notice, is that a disk moved from a Southbridge
    port, to the Pri_RAID on the 20378, caused the first partition on
    the disk to disappear. It reappeared when the disk was connected
    to the Southbridge again. This suggests that even in IDE mode,
    the Promise chip/BIOS code is using a reserved sector (the same
    sector used for RAID arrays). Now, some RAID BIOS include an option
    to erase the reserved sector, and that might help in making a
    transition from one type of install to another. I don't know if
    the Promise does that or not (and I'm not using the Promise
    right now). And Promise is not exactly helpful, when it comes
    to OEM questions, so I doubt if you contact Promise tech support,
    that they'll help in any useful way (even if you are just making
    a feature request).

    Paul

    Paul,
    what kind of graphic card you're using
    with P4P800-E Deluxe?
    I have this mo/bo and am not sure about what graphic card
    should I use, in the light of User's Guide p.2-17 (2.6.4)
    I intended to use ATI Radeon 9550 Sapphire(256MB),
    but I'm not sure whether this gr.card meets
    Asus mo/bo requirement.
    Jdr

    In article <3j9cq8Fohv0fU1@individual.net>, "Jdr" <jdr@msn.net> wrote:

    > Paul,
    > what kind of graphic card you're using
    > with P4P800-E Deluxe?
    > I have this mo/bo and am not sure about what graphic card
    > should I use, in the light of User's Guide p.2-17 (2.6.4)
    > I intended to use ATI Radeon 9550 Sapphire(256MB),
    > but I'm not sure whether this gr.card meets
    > Asus mo/bo requirement.
    > Jdr

    I use an ATI 9800pro in winter and an Nvidia FX5200 in summer.
    I only run the A.C. at night, and removing the 9800pro is one
    less source of heat. In winter, the extra heat is welcome :-)

    video card 9800pro fx5200
    idle 1.78A 1.37A <--- wall current 120VAC
    3dmark2001 2.75A 1.80A <--- wall current 120VAC
    3dmark_value 14838marks 5454marks

    The warning note in the manual is for some early boards. And,
    the thing is, if you contact ATI, they won't agree with Asus's
    analysis of the situation. In any case, your card is not one
    of the two listed on that page.

    You'll notice on that manual page, there is a picture and
    a highlight that says "keyed for 1.5V". As long as your
    video card has the hole in the right place, it should fit
    the board. Judging by these example pages, any video card
    made in the last couple of years supports 1.5V, whether it
    is Nvidia or ATI. I'm not aware of an Nvidia page similar to
    these two (and these pages have been removed from ATI's site -
    what possessed them to do that is beyond me).

    http://web.archive.org/web/20041014040007/http://mirror.ati.com/support/faq/agpchart.html

    http://web.archive.org/web/20041103055247/http://www.ati.com/support/agpchart/agp.html

    Another source of info is this page. Go to the table "Practical
    Motherboard And Card Compatibility". P4C800-E is fourth row down
    "Universal 1.5V AGP 3.0 Motherboard". Only an old 3.3V only card
    won't fit. Tables further down the page, allow you to figure out,
    based on the chipset on the motherboard, and on the video card,
    just what will work.

    http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

    A good summary page for specs is here. This page allows you
    to see the overlap in performance between generations (remembering
    of course, that the DirectX feature set is changing along the way,
    so later cards are a better match for current game design). It
    is interesting to see, for example, how many cards a TI4200 is better
    than.

    http://www.benchmark.pl/artykuly/zestawienie_GPU_2/skala_wydajnosci.html

    These are the last two AGP comparisons on Tomshardware. Some
    of the charts are CPU-limited, meaning the fastest cards are
    only really needed if you want super-high resolution or AA
    turned on.

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050705/index.html
    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/index.html

    HTH,
    Paul

> [...]
    > won't fit. Tables further down the page, allow you to figure out,
    > based on the chipset on the motherboard, and on the video card,
    > just what will work.
    >
    > http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html
    >
    > A good summary page for specs is here. This page allows you
    > to see the overlap in performance between generations (remembering
    > of course, that the DirectX feature set is changing along the way,
    > so later cards are a better match for current game design). It
    > is interesting to see, for example, how many cards a TI4200 is better
    > than.
    >
    > http://www.benchmark.pl/artykuly/zestawienie_GPU_2/skala_wydajnosci.html
    >
    > These are the last two AGP comparisons on Tomshardware. Some
    > of the charts are CPU-limited, meaning the fastest cards are
    > only really needed if you want super-high resolution or AA

    Thank you Paul for this clear explanation of a bit confusing
    matter. I'll sit and study your indications. I'm not surprised
    at all by your swapping the graphic card between winter
    and summer. here in Scotland , and in this "summer"
    particularly, we can use an extra heat too...;-)

    Best as ever Paul, and thank for your help.

    Joe

Asus NAS / RAID Drivers Motherboards