jonnyd

I was hoping some of the experts might be able to clarify things for me. I
am looking to buy a new, powerful system for high-end gaming purposes,
watching movies, Photoshop, etc. And hopeing to keep the price under $1500.
I was told that AMD 64 is the best processor with potential now, and that
PCI-Express is the wave of the future for video cards. However, my normal
internet shop doesn't carry these together, and I heard that its because of a
delay in mobo production.

Is my info correct? Is this system the best i can do? Is it worth waiting
for these to come out together before purchasing a new system (how long?)?

Thx so much!

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"jonnyd" <jonnyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was hoping some of the experts might be able to clarify things for
>me. I
> am looking to buy a new, powerful system for high-end gaming
> purposes,
> watching movies, Photoshop, etc. And hopeing to keep the price under
> $1500.
> I was told that AMD 64 is the best processor with potential now, and
> that
> PCI-Express is the wave of the future for video cards. However, my
> normal
> internet shop doesn't carry these together, and I heard that its
> because of a
> delay in mobo production.
>
> Is my info correct? Is this system the best i can do? Is it worth
> waiting
> for these to come out together before purchasing a new system (how
> long?)?

Your information could be correct or incorrect. I can't understand
the
marketing spin from AMD. (what chip is what) I do know that Intel
has
a 915 and 925 chipset on a few newer mainboards that are using
SATA and PCI express. ATI has a very expensive PCI express
video card. Quiet a bit of reading would be involved and almost
all can be purchased from www.newegg.com.
As an afterthought you would get a better feed if you used the
msnews.microsoft.com server for this type of post.

"jonnyd" <jonnyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...
>I was hoping some of the experts might be able to clarify things for me. I
> am looking to buy a new, powerful system for high-end gaming purposes,
> watching movies, Photoshop, etc. And hopeing to keep the price under $1500.
> I was told that AMD 64 is the best processor with potential now, and that
> PCI-Express is the wave of the future for video cards. However, my normal
> internet shop doesn't carry these together, and I heard that its because of a
> delay in mobo production.

PCI-Express (NOT the same as PCI-X) is new on the scene, and IMO the available
MoBo's are not "ready for prime time." If you really want PCI-ex, wait a
while...

I say Ford is best, you say Chevy is best -- the "best" processor is like
the "best" auto manufacturer-- mostly subjective. Except that a car (whether
Ford or Chevy) will not be obsolete in two or three months as the chip will.

Having clarified what is "best", keep in mind that Microsoft has yet to
release a 64-bit Operating System out of Beta testing, 64-bit hardware
drivers are difficult (or impossible) to find, and I have not heard of any
applications or games that have been ported to 64-bit.

For the present, the AMD 64 is rather like a new technology automotive
engine that will be the fastest engine in the world -- someday, when a
completely new type of fuel has been developed to take advantage of that new
technology.

steve

"jonnyd" <jonnyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I was hoping some of the experts might be able to clarify things for me.
> am looking to buy a new, powerful system for high-end gaming purposes,
> watching movies, Photoshop, etc. And hopeing to keep the price under
$1500.
> I was told that AMD 64 is the best processor with potential now, and that
> PCI-Express is the wave of the future for video cards. However, my normal
> internet shop doesn't carry these together, and I heard that its because
of a
> delay in mobo production.
>
> Is my info correct? Is this system the best i can do? Is it worth waiting
> for these to come out together before purchasing a new system (how long?)?
>
> Thx so much!

TJ

No matter how long you wait, there will always be something just a little
bit better, right around the corner. When you're ready, just go for it,
forget about Item-X that's coming out any day now. Otherwise, you'll never
get anything...lol Especially when it comes to computer hardware. Even if
you wait for a PCI Express mobo, the video card you want won't be out yet.
Or shortly after you buy the card, a better one will be released. It just
goes on and on. all these lights beeping and blinking and beeping and
blinking and BEEPING and BLINKING

"jonnyd" <jonnyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I was hoping some of the experts might be able to clarify things for me.
> am looking to buy a new, powerful system for high-end gaming purposes,
> watching movies, Photoshop, etc. And hopeing to keep the price under
$1500.
> I was told that AMD 64 is the best processor with potential now, and that
> PCI-Express is the wave of the future for video cards. However, my normal
> internet shop doesn't carry these together, and I heard that its because
of a
> delay in mobo production.
>
> Is my info correct? Is this system the best i can do? Is it worth waiting
> for these to come out together before purchasing a new system (how long?)?
>
> Thx so much!

Here are some upcoming attractions:

BTX Motherboard form factor - reduces heat and better performance design
SATA300 - Higher data transfer rates and command queing (16 MB Cache?)
Dual Core CPU - Both AMD and Intel will be releasing theirs soon

Improved attractions:

DDR2 - Faster speeds and tigher timings
FSB - HyperTransport and new technology opening even more bandwidth
PCI Express - More hardware designed for this

These are just a few examples. The computer world is still moving fast,
but you have to decide what your needs are and just go for it. For what
you want to do there, you may want to look into Alienware computers.
They cost a ton, but they certainly will do anything you throw at them.
Personally, I go for the inexpensive, yet works for anything I want
computer:
http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/361199/

----
Nathan McNulty