DHCP problem

I have a 802.11 wireless network at my home using 3 PCs with a Netgear MR814
wireless router. Yesterday, one of my PC could not obtain dynamic IP adress
using DHCP. IP address and subnet mask are 0.0.0.0., and when I try to
repair (renew) the connection, I get the error message that the repair
operation failed. When I try to use IPconfig utility to renew IP address, I
get the following message:

"The DHCP client has obtained an IP address that is already in use on the
network. The local interface will be disabled until the DHCP client can
obtain a new IP address."

No other PC has this problem. I am temporarily bypassing this problem by
manually assigning an IP address to this PC. Can someone tell me why I am
getting this conflict and how do I resolve the issue? Thanks

jeff

Rather odd you received a 0.0.0.0 address other than a
169.x.x.x .Double check your PC settings that the client
is setup to obtain an IP address.

Check your DHCP settings in your router?

--
Joseph

"Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Rather odd you received a 0.0.0.0 address other than a
> 169.x.x.x .Double check your PC settings that the client
> is setup to obtain an IP address.

This is the behavior when a duplicate IP is detected. Windows removes the
address assignment (0.0.0.0). It doesn't try to pull another address via
DHCP, alternate config, or automatic. User intervention is required.

"hanu" <hanu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a 802.11 wireless network at my home using 3 PCs with a Netgear
>MR814
> wireless router. Yesterday, one of my PC could not obtain dynamic IP
> adress
> using DHCP. IP address and subnet mask are 0.0.0.0., and when I try to
> repair (renew) the connection, I get the error message that the repair
> operation failed. When I try to use IPconfig utility to renew IP
> address, I
> get the following message:
>
> "The DHCP client has obtained an IP address that is already in use on the
> network. The local interface will be disabled until the DHCP client can
> obtain a new IP address."
>
> No other PC has this problem. I am temporarily bypassing this problem by
> manually assigning an IP address to this PC. Can someone tell me why I
> am
> getting this conflict and how do I resolve the issue? Thanks

The error means exactly what it says.

Since there are only 3 PCs and the router:

1. Unplug the router
2. Shutdown the PCs
3. Restore power to the router
4. Restore power to the PC with the conflict. It should now be able to
pull the address from the router.
5. Restore power to the other PCs. If one of them had an old lease that
was causing the conflict, the renewal request will be denied and it will be
able to pull a new IP.

TRENDING THREADS