hi to all,

Can SATA HDD be install as a primary and only HDD in a system?
THat means as a C: and no other IDE hdd installed.

Sorry if this is a silly question but I have recently done so and begining
to suspect that the poor performance of my 2.8 p4 system was due to that.

please advice.

thanks

"alan lim" <wdsin2003@yahoo.com> wrote...

> Can SATA HDD be install as a primary and only HDD in a system?
> THat means as a C: and no other IDE hdd installed.

Yes.

alan lim wrote:
> hi to all,
>
> Can SATA HDD be install as a primary and only HDD in a system?
> THat means as a C: and no other IDE hdd installed.

Yes. SATA hard drives are one physical drive per channel.

Have you installed the correct chipset drivers ?

Yes
"alan lim" <wdsin2003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> hi to all,
>
> Can SATA HDD be install as a primary and only HDD in a system?
> THat means as a C: and no other IDE hdd installed.
>
> Sorry if this is a silly question but I have recently done so and begining
> to suspect that the poor performance of my 2.8 p4 system was due to that.
>
> please advice.
>
> thanks

That is exactly how I have my system set up, and I do not need to
install any drivers during setup to make it work either.

----
Nathan McNulty

In article <uwEwONnlEHA.3156@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
Monty <monty@phython.com> wrote:
>Yes
>"alan lim" <wdsin2003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> hi to all,
>>
>> Can SATA HDD be install as a primary and only HDD in a system?
>> THat means as a C: and no other IDE hdd installed.
>>
>> Sorry if this is a silly question but I have recently done so and begining
>> to suspect that the poor performance of my 2.8 p4 system was due to that.
>>
>> please advice.
>>
>> thanks

You have a 127GB limit to the partition unless your mobo and bios have
"LBA48" enabled.

--
Al Dykes

> You have a 127GB limit to the partition unless your mobo and bios have
> "LBA48" enabled.

And SP1 or SP2 installed

If the SATA controller is also a RAID controller, you may need to install RAID
drivers.

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote...