the request could not be performed because of an I/O devic..

I keep recieving the following message whenever i ry to
transfer (cut or copy) data from a portable usb hard drive
(20gigs) to and from my computer:

the request could not be performed because of an I/O
device error

somebody please help.

this problem takes place on all computers (i have tried it
on many!)

How is the extrenal drive being connected (USB, Firewire)? It may be
the cable you are using as well. Have you tried a different cable? All
that message really means is that the transfer of the file or accessing
of a part of the hard drive was stopped because there was a problem in
the transfering of data between the hard drive and the computer.

----
Nathan McNulty