Primary and Slave Disk

Have two HDD which have just installed as Master and Slave
disks but my PC does not recognized the existence of the
slave disk. It has to be pointed out that the slave disk
is having problems and the idea of installing it as a
slave disk is to have access to all files, rescue them
using the master access. Once all files contained in the
slave disk are copied then I'll change the slave back into
the Master position, boot it and reloand full Windows XP
from the beginning, including formatting, and then re-
install it as a slave.

The whole point here is not to loose all files kept in
current slave HDD.

How can my PC recognize this slave disk ? am I skipping an
important step ? is it possible to access all files from
Master disk ?

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about primary slave disk

    What manufacturers disks are they. Maxtor's take a single jumper for Master
    and no jumpers for slave. Western Digitals are totally different. Can you
    see both disks in the bios?
    "Isabel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    Have two HDD which have just installed as Master and Slave
    disks but my PC does not recognized the existence of the
    slave disk. It has to be pointed out that the slave disk
    is having problems and the idea of installing it as a
    slave disk is to have access to all files, rescue them
    using the master access. Once all files contained in the
    slave disk are copied then I'll change the slave back into
    the Master position, boot it and reloand full Windows XP
    from the beginning, including formatting, and then re-
    install it as a slave.

    The whole point here is not to loose all files kept in
    current slave HDD.

    How can my PC recognize this slave disk ? am I skipping an
    important step ? is it possible to access all files from
    Master disk ?

    Thanks

    Thanks for your response. Both disks are Maxtor and I can
    only see the Master one in the bios.

    Isabel, if they are both Maxtor's and you cannot see the slave (no jumpers)
    in the bios then I would suspect the slave disk is bad. It's doubtful that
    the ide port is bad by you might install the jumper, make it a master and
    attach it to the cable alone and see what the bios says.

    Thanks for your response. Both disks are Maxtor and I can
    only see the Master one in the bios.

    Or you may want to try a different IDE Cable. Some cables are unable to
    determine slave/master for you. My Maxtor drive does CS when you remove
    the jumpers.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Norm wrote:
    > Isabel, if they are both Maxtor's and you cannot see the slave (no jumpers)
    > in the bios then I would suspect the slave disk is bad. It's doubtful that
    > the ide port is bad by you might install the jumper, make it a master and
    > attach it to the cable alone and see what the bios says.
    >
    > "Isabel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for your response. Both disks are Maxtor and I can
    > only see the Master one in the bios.

Hard Drives Windows XP