p4c800e deluxe Flash problems (BIOS v1022)

Hi!

I wanted to flash my p4c800e deluxe from 1019 to latest 1022.
Used afudos.exe -> no prolems.
Reboot -> Windows startup -> everything`s fine.

After next boot system won`t boot anymore. No beeps, no VGA: NOTHING.

Removed CMOS battery: First boot ok, after next boot: DEAD.

Flashed back to 1019: no more problems. Would like to test ver 1022 because
of sound problems.

DOes anyone know (or heard of) this problem?

BTW: Asus don`t answer my mail

Thx community...

Greetz
Andy
6 answers Last reply
More about p4c800e deluxe flash problems bios v1022

    > If none of that helps, tell us what the problem is with the sound :-)

    Exactly what you described. But i have an extra pci soundcard (creative
    64pci) (of course with disabled onboard sound) and the problem is STILL
    there. What the hell is this?

    Read somewhere in WWW, that this problem is probably caused by the video
    drivers. Tried several of them: no improvement!

    In article <1psmk5juvuann$.nhk5zs38ecqh$.dlg@40tude.net>, Andreas Gunzer
    <a.gunzer_aet_gmx.naet> wrote:

    > > If none of that helps, tell us what the problem is with the sound :-)
    >
    > Exactly what you described. But i have an extra pci soundcard (creative
    > 64pci) (of course with disabled onboard sound) and the problem is STILL
    > there. What the hell is this?
    >
    > Read somewhere in WWW, that this problem is probably caused by the video
    > drivers. Tried several of them: no improvement!

    Put the Creative card in slot 1 (and leave slot 5 empty) or
    put the card in slot 5 (and leave slot 1 empty). That will
    make the Creative card the only card using that interrupt
    signal, which improves latency.

    You should describe your sound symptoms in your own words, so
    we understand what you are hearing. There are all sorts of
    different problems you can have with sound, so any info you
    give will help reduce the possibilities.

    Paul

    In article <42d02239_1@news.bluewin.ch>, "Yolé"
    <ophrys007NOSPAM@bluewin.ch> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Asus makes more than
    > 2 million motherboards a month, so getting personalized
    > service is difficult.
    >
    > ... and so much Problems ! Incredible !
    >
    > But in "French" the service is poor !
    >
    > Can I find a Bios in french version for the P4c800ED ?
    >
    > Thanks for your Answer
    > --
    > Yolé

    Asus localisation support seems to be pretty variable. And
    hard to explain. For example, on the P4C800-E, the BIOS has
    language modules for English and German, while the download
    site has user manuals in English and French.

    Yet, the P4P800 SE has three language modules, English,
    French, and German. So, Asus does occasionally support
    French.

    Also, there is no guarantee the language support is
    uniform within the BIOS. I don't see anything but
    English for some of the RAID BIOS modules, meaning
    for any functions other than the main BIOS code,
    you might not get the support you would expect.

    Unless specifically stated as an addition on the download
    page, if French is not in the first release of the BIOS,
    I would not expect it to appear in a later release.

    To determine language support, without loading the BIOS into
    the flash chip, I use "mmtool" to extract AMI Bios modules.
    The BIOS modules containing each language are labelled
    MultiLanguage, and once extracted, viewing them with
    a hex editor identifies what single language is contained
    in each one.

    Paul

    that`s the way i did it: Creative in PCI1 and pci5 is empty.

    Sound symptoms: (hard to explain)

    The sound (games/mp3/etc) does not sound clear; means lot of crackling.
    Looks like it makes no difference how high the CPU load is.

    How can i explain it more exactly?

    In article <pqk5lqnd8c2n$.3hfq338va6g4$.dlg@40tude.net>, Andreas Gunzer
    <a.gunzer_aet_gmx.naet> wrote:

    > that`s the way i did it: Creative in PCI1 and pci5 is empty.
    >
    > Sound symptoms: (hard to explain)
    >
    > The sound (games/mp3/etc) does not sound clear; means lot of crackling.
    > Looks like it makes no difference how high the CPU load is.
    >
    > How can i explain it more exactly?

    Crackling is a fine term to describe the problem. That could be
    an underrun, meaning the Creative runs out of data to convert to
    analog, so what it does is it uses the last data value for a
    fraction of a second. The "flat spot" in the waveform is what
    makes the crackling.

    The trick is, to improve the real time response from when an
    interrupt is asserted by the sound device, until data is DMA
    transferred to the chip. Preventing the sharing of an interrupt
    line, means that multiple interrupt handlers are not invoked
    serially, until the interrupting device is found.

    A DMA transfer that happens over the PCI bus, can be denied its
    fair share of bus bandwidth, by another greedy PCI device. (That
    is why I suggest turning down the PCI latency timer.) Another
    mechanism, is if slower subtending busses, cause the PCI bus to
    have long service latency. For example, accesses to disk on
    some Southbridges, means the PCI bus can be tied up for 30-40
    cycles waiting for an acknowledge. This means much bus bandwidth
    can be wasted, and the sound chip starves for data. Enabling
    delayed transaction, allows one PCI access to be retried at
    a later time, in order to let other traffic use the PCI bus.
    This enhances the total bandwidth available on the PCI bus,
    and allows more DMA transfers to complete in time.

    I suppose another potential issue, might be the interrupt service
    policy. If a priority encoder is used for interrupts, there is
    no bound on the service time of an interrupt (that assumes one
    piece of hardware generates a lot of interrupts per second). The
    Asus manual gives the impression in the IRQ description in the
    manual, that interrupts have strict priority, but I'm not really
    sure if that is how PIC/APIC work or not. I think I tried messing
    with the assigned IRQ number for a sound card, and didn't get much
    improvement at all in performance.

    If you have any ill-behaved third party cards, they can upset
    sound. Some devices have drivers that do not complete their
    interrupt service routine in a timely manner.

    Yes, it doesn't seem to depend on CPU loading. Since sound
    is interrupt driven, the interrupt mechanism should ensure
    that even at 100% CPU the sound works. If an application
    ran un-interruptable, it would be a different matter.

    Paul

    Hello,

    Thank you for these answers

    I think that my next motherboard will come from INTEL (again) !

    Best regards

    --
    Yolé

    "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    nospam-1007050123590001@192.168.1.178...

    > In article <42d02239_1@news.bluewin.ch>, "Yolé"
    > <ophrys007NOSPAM@bluewin.ch> wrote:
    >

    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Asus makes more than
    >> 2 million motherboards a month, so getting personalized
    >> service is difficult.
    >>
    >> ... and so much Problems ! Incredible !
    >>
    >> But in "French" the service is poor !
    >>
    >> Can I find a Bios in french version for the P4c800ED ?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your Answer
    >> --
    >> Yolé
    >>

    > Asus localisation support seems to be pretty variable. And
    > hard to explain. For example, on the P4C800-E, the BIOS has
    > language modules for English and German, while the download
    > site has user manuals in English and French.
    >
    > Yet, the P4P800 SE has three language modules, English,
    > French, and German. So, Asus does occasionally support
    > French.
    >
    > Also, there is no guarantee the language support is
    > uniform within the BIOS. I don't see anything but
    > English for some of the RAID BIOS modules, meaning
    > for any functions other than the main BIOS code,
    > you might not get the support you would expect.
    >
    > Unless specifically stated as an addition on the download
    > page, if French is not in the first release of the BIOS,
    > I would not expect it to appear in a later release.
    >
    > To determine language support, without loading the BIOS into
    > the flash chip, I use "mmtool" to extract AMI Bios modules.
    > The BIOS modules containing each language are labelled
    > MultiLanguage, and once extracted, viewing them with
    > a hex editor identifies what single language is contained
    > in each one.
    >
    > Paul

Asus Flash Boot Motherboards