Valve's Steam Box May Be Part of Apple's iTV

Status
Not open for further replies.
this would be a tragedy. I suppose steam works with mac now. but these bad rumors. crap reporting...

apple doesn't do gaming. for a good company to prop up an evil company... massive backlash. I suppose if valve/steam drives the bus, its available to everyone, and apples kept ought of it. it may work. So basically. Not apple. Not closed. Just an option on their weird TV. maybe.

I give credit to Tim cook on being an adult and working for the good of the company. so now that jobs and his evil personalality are gone. who knows.

hmp_goose

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Remember the story about pitching Kinetic to Apple first, but running away in horror of the NDAs involved to park on the campus and have the meet'n great? With this much info floating around about a "proposed" Apple product, we may lose Valve to some lawsuit …

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]I have STEAM on my Win 7 gaming rig I built and I can put it on my Mac then install many of the games that are on my Windows rig right now. Go Open GL/CL F Off bloated proprietary Direct X.[/citation]
Actually DirectX is quite optimized. OpenGL has a lot of catchup to play, which is why it is not used as much for games on platforms that do support DirectX.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]koga73[/nom]nooooo this is like the Jedi joining forces with the Sith[/citation]
More like Anakin Skywalker cutting down all the wide-eyed younglings...

G

I have a box that can run Steam games, does that count as Steam box?

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Game industry might spiral into oblivion if Apple bought Valve (and tried to control them). So I hope that's solidly far fetched.

But a solid hardware ecosystem.. modest software on both sides for OS and content.. might be a good mix. But I don't think Mac and PC+Console Steam users will mix unless Windows also implodes as a gaming and OS platform and Origin somehow gains traction.. oh wait..

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
About the voice and gesture thing...

Samsung already revealed a voice and gesture controlled tv in CES 2012.
Just saying, cuz in a couple of months Apple will be suing everyone for this and claiming they invented it first (it's not even a new invention, just existing techs combined).

Personally, I think this is useless, except for people with disabilities. Voice control and audio feedback would benefit blind people for instance and gestures might help people that have trouble using a remote with their fingers (or maybe don't even have fingers).

For anyone else, simply pushing a button is way more efficient and quick than any other gimmick, as proved by the whole motion control thing in games.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]*Bought Taiwan*Que Chinese Invasion....[/citation]
No, just that Foxconn workers would probably just revolt and refuse to make iCrap. :D

I believe I am not the only one who will not buy a TV from apple. If steam does jump into the apple boat, they will risk losing loyal PC customers. I myself will certainly be looking for an alternative. Hell, I might even consider Origin (ok, maybe not that desperate).

AsTheDeath

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Tom's Hardware, could you please change or remove this article? It is based on absolutely nothing and contrary to a recent blog post by the Valve employee responsible for the 'steambox' rumours; they are in fact working on something different (as already stated by Acidic). This is just to draw attention, this is not news and it is certainly not reliable. Please don't post stuff like this.

source (blog post): http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/valve-how-i-got-here-what-its-like-and-what-im-doing-2/

Status
Not open for further replies.