Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse not working with serial p..

I have an older PC which has gone through several upgrades through the
years. The mouse port on my PC is a serial one (two rows of pins). I
currently have a Microsoft IntelliMouse (several years old) which has a PS/2
end on in. This mouse works on my PC through a PS/2 - serial adaptor.

However, the left mouse button is beginning to fall apart, so I decided to
replace it with a Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse. This mouse comes with a
USB end on it, with an adapter to convert it to PS/2. So, I hooked it up
(that's right - two adapters - USB - PS/2 - Serial) and I quickly discovered
that the mouse will not work in this manner.

I would like to know why my old mouse (PS/2) worked fine through the
adaptor, but the new one (advertised as USB and PS/2) does not.

Is this mouse available with a serial end on it? I do not have USB or PS/2
on my PC. What are my options (other than the obvious "buy a new PC"
solution)

Thanks,
Brad
5 answers Last reply
More about microsoft wireless optical mouse working serial

    Hi,

    It is quite simple to solve your problem.
    Buy a PCI USB card, around $10.-

    BTW, how old is your PC?
    My 7 years old PC already had PS/2 port and I use it for my MS wireless
    optical mouse without any problem.

    Peter

    "Brad Mann" wrote:

    > I have an older PC which has gone through several upgrades through the
    > years. The mouse port on my PC is a serial one (two rows of pins). I
    > currently have a Microsoft IntelliMouse (several years old) which has a PS/2
    > end on in. This mouse works on my PC through a PS/2 - serial adaptor.
    >
    > However, the left mouse button is beginning to fall apart, so I decided to
    > replace it with a Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse. This mouse comes with a
    > USB end on it, with an adapter to convert it to PS/2. So, I hooked it up
    > (that's right - two adapters - USB - PS/2 - Serial) and I quickly discovered
    > that the mouse will not work in this manner.
    >
    > I would like to know why my old mouse (PS/2) worked fine through the
    > adaptor, but the new one (advertised as USB and PS/2) does not.
    >
    > Is this mouse available with a serial end on it? I do not have USB or PS/2
    > on my PC. What are my options (other than the obvious "buy a new PC"
    > solution)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Brad

    You will be hard pressed finding a serial mouse. As far as I know they don't
    make them anymore.

    "Brad Mann" wrote:

    > I have an older PC which has gone through several upgrades through the
    > years. The mouse port on my PC is a serial one (two rows of pins). I
    > currently have a Microsoft IntelliMouse (several years old) which has a PS/2
    > end on in. This mouse works on my PC through a PS/2 - serial adaptor.
    >
    > However, the left mouse button is beginning to fall apart, so I decided to
    > replace it with a Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse. This mouse comes with a
    > USB end on it, with an adapter to convert it to PS/2. So, I hooked it up
    > (that's right - two adapters - USB - PS/2 - Serial) and I quickly discovered
    > that the mouse will not work in this manner.
    >
    > I would like to know why my old mouse (PS/2) worked fine through the
    > adaptor, but the new one (advertised as USB and PS/2) does not.
    >
    > Is this mouse available with a serial end on it? I do not have USB or PS/2
    > on my PC. What are my options (other than the obvious "buy a new PC"
    > solution)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Brad

    I can't remember how old it is, but I am still using the case from my old
    486-66. Really quite antiqicated.

    I will try and locate a PCI USB. But first I will need to make sure I have
    an open PCI slot.

    Thanks for the tip

    http://www.qualitycables.com/productdetails1.cfm?sku=159104&cats=99115

    Brad Mann wrote:

    > I can't remember how old it is, but I am still using the case from my old
    > 486-66. Really quite antiqicated.
    >
    > I will try and locate a PCI USB. But first I will need to make sure I have
    > an open PCI slot.
    >
    > Thanks for the tip
    >
    > "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>It is quite simple to solve your problem.
    >>Buy a PCI USB card, around $10.-
    >>
    >>BTW, how old is your PC?
    >>My 7 years old PC already had PS/2 port and I use it for my MS wireless
    >>optical mouse without any problem.
    >>
    >>Peter
    >>

    >>"Brad Mann" wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have an older PC which has gone through several upgrades through the
    >>>years. The mouse port on my PC is a serial one (two rows of pins). I
    >>>currently have a Microsoft IntelliMouse (several years old) which has a
    >>>
    > PS/2
    >
    >>>end on in. This mouse works on my PC through a PS/2 - serial adaptor.
    >>>
    >>>However, the left mouse button is beginning to fall apart, so I decided

    >>>replace it with a Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse. This mouse comes
    >>>
    > with a
    >
    >>>USB end on it, with an adapter to convert it to PS/2. So, I hooked it up
    >>>(that's right - two adapters - USB - PS/2 - Serial) and I quickly
    >>>
    > discovered
    >
    >>>that the mouse will not work in this manner.
    >>>
    >>>I would like to know why my old mouse (PS/2) worked fine through the
    >>>adaptor, but the new one (advertised as USB and PS/2) does not.
    >>>
    >>>Is this mouse available with a serial end on it? I do not have USB or
    >>>
    > PS/2
    >
    >>>on my PC. What are my options (other than the obvious "buy a new PC"
    >>>solution)
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>Brad

    All the current Microsoft mice are designed only to work with PS/2 or USB.
    Most of their competitor's mice (that are currently out) are similar.

    If a device is not designed to work in a certain port, you cannot cobble
    together adapters of your choosing to make it fit into a socket that it
    wasn't designed for.

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "Brad Mann" <bmann22222@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have an older PC which has gone through several upgrades through the
    > years. The mouse port on my PC is a serial one (two rows of pins). I
    > currently have a Microsoft IntelliMouse (several years old) which has a
    > PS/2
    > end on in. This mouse works on my PC through a PS/2 - serial adaptor.
    >
    > However, the left mouse button is beginning to fall apart, so I decided to
    > replace it with a Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse. This mouse comes with
    > USB end on it, with an adapter to convert it to PS/2. So, I hooked it up
    > (that's right - two adapters - USB - PS/2 - Serial) and I quickly
    > discovered
    > that the mouse will not work in this manner.
    >
    > I would like to know why my old mouse (PS/2) worked fine through the
    > adaptor, but the new one (advertised as USB and PS/2) does not.
    >
    > Is this mouse available with a serial end on it? I do not have USB or PS/2
    > on my PC. What are my options (other than the obvious "buy a new PC"
    > solution)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Brad

Mice Wireless Optical Mouse PS/2 Microsoft Windows XP