Getting windows to recognize the CD drive as CD-RW

Please help folks,

I remember a while back there was a way to modify the registry to make
windows recognize your CD-RW as a CD-RW and not a plain CD drive. I cant
remember how, does anyone know how to do this? (Or can they suggest another
way).

TIA
Stahler
2 answers Last reply
More about getting windows recognize drive

    CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316529&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "DR" wrote:

    | Please help folks,
    |
    | I remember a while back there was a way to modify the registry to make
    | windows recognize your CD-RW as a CD-RW and not a plain CD drive. I cant
    | remember how, does anyone know how to do this? (Or can they suggest another
    | way).
    |
    | TIA
    | Stahler

    I am having the same problem with my drive. When I put in a blank disc, it
    doesn't recognize that there is a disc in there. Ii went to the site listed
    below, and followed the instructions. Still no luck, it does not show a
    recordable tab in the properties. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316529&Product=winxp
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "DR" wrote:
    >
    > | Please help folks,
    > |
    > | I remember a while back there was a way to modify the registry to make
    > | windows recognize your CD-RW as a CD-RW and not a plain CD drive. I cant
    > | remember how, does anyone know how to do this? (Or can they suggest another
    > | way).
    > |
    > | TIA
    > | Stahler

CD-Rom CD Drives Windows XP