convert to basic disk disabled

September 9, 2004 7:37:44 PM

hi all,

i have installed a new hard drive and xp formatted it as a dynamic
disk. i tried using partition magic 8 to repartition the drive but it
wont let me. i tried to convert my hard drive to basic disk but the
option is disabled (greyed out).

does anybody know a way to repartition the dynamic disk or convert to
basic disk without having to format it?

thanks!
vk/
September 9, 2004 10:29:00 PM

"K. S." <verbalkint81@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> hi all,
>
> i have installed a new hard drive and xp formatted it as a dynamic
> disk. i tried using partition magic 8 to repartition the drive but it
> wont let me. i tried to convert my hard drive to basic disk but the
> option is disabled (greyed out).
>
> does anybody know a way to repartition the dynamic disk or convert to
> basic disk without having to format it?

just leave it as dynamic disc ...the choice was made by you...not XP
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 4:31:15 AM

Basically, there is no way to convert dynamic disks into basic disks
without deleting all volumes on the dynamic disk. Now repartitioning
dynamic disks are very simple from within Windows. Just right click on
My Computer, click Manage, click Disk Management. From here you can
delete old partitions and create new ones or merge partitions or
whatever you want.

----
Nathan McNulty

!